Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n I've been a vegetarian since I was 5 years old

spudsthepiget

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I started on the road to vegetarianism when I was 3 and I quit eating meat except bacon. When I was 5, I got to hold a piglet, and once I realized that was where bacon came from I quit eating it. It's been 14 years since then, and I've never chipped (not even once). My younger brother gave me so much shizzit for it, until he became one several years later. I do eat dairy, but I don't eat eggs or fish. Unfortunatly, I do eat chicken broth-based soup, but I have to because I have a food intolerance to vegetable broth. Every time I've ever tried to eat it, it gives me really bad stomach pains. When I do have soup, I try to eat as little broth as possible, but I will not eat beef broth.

One of my friends says she is a flexitarian, but I've seen her eat burgers, shrimp, and duck more than a few times. I live in the Midwest, so it's meat and potatoes country here, there aren't many vegetarians and every other vegetarian eats chicken or cow. Is anyone else as strict as me?

MochaAndMoo

Cavy Slave
I am a vegetarian and I am only 13. I am extremely strict about it. I have been a vegetarian since I was 3. I actually have a phobia of eating meat so I have never chipped. A lot of my friends say their "vegetarian" but they still eat gelatine foods like jelly and they still eat chicken.

MissJean

Cavy Slave
What about the vegetable broth are you intolerant to? Homemade is better anyways. You can make a large amount in a stock pot and then store jars of it in the freezer.

MommyOfMany

Cavy Slave
I have been a vegan since I was 12 (14 now) in Michigan, so I know it can be rough. I live in a highly rural, conservative, republican, farming community. Thankfully, my family is very accepting- my brothers give me trouble about being vegan(although they are vegetarians themselves ;)) and my mom has recently gone full vegan. I used to get bullied a lot for it in middle school, people in high school don't really seem to care as much. They mostly just have tons of questions about veganism. If you want to, you can check out my Tumblr. I generally post things about veganism. (broken link removed) I'm not sure if posting this kind of stuff is allowed, so sorry mods!

_Cass_

Cavy Slave
I'm not personally a vegetarian (although I'm slowly converting to one, I've stopped eating beef, pork and fish) but both of my sisters are. My oldest sister started becoming anemic from the lack of iron in her diet, and now she eats fish, but no other animal products and no milk. My other sister has been a strict vegetarian since she was 7 and doesn't drink milk as well.

R5 plus

Cavy Slave
I practiced more vegetarian choices several years ago. Actually, I thought of it as vegetarian, but I think it was you, @spudsthepiget that pointed out on another thread that some of my choices may not have been. I guess I was more of a flexitarian. Everytime we see one of those food movies where the animals are treated badly I start cutting things out for awhile. It really bothers me to see how animals are treated and how they are killed.

We do eat a lot of vegetarian meals here at home, but it seems we fall into the rut of eating the same things all the time and I worry that we're not getting the nutrients needed. And on weeks where we're running all over - forget it.

I tend to think of a flexitarian as someone who will eat anything, but severely curtails the amount of meat they will eat. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

@_Cass_ - Iron skillets can help add iron into a person's diet (men have to be careful not to get too much).

MommyOfMany

Cavy Slave
Oh, another thing- Avocados are the best thing on planet Earth :)

spudsthepiget

Cavy Slave
@_Cass_ I've had problems with iron deficiency; it's easier for girls to become iron deficient. Baked potatoes have a good iron content in them, and I think some cereals do, too. I have to take a muti-vitamin tablet every night, or else I'll become deficient again.

@MommyOfMany I love your Tumblr! It is hard when people start making fun of you for not eating meat. But I'm glad they think they're the first ones to come up with the jokes.

@R5 plus it is hard once you fall into that rut. I ate buttered noodles for years, every single night, I was so stuck. I usually have to plan out my week, just so I don't fall back into old habits.

@MissJean I have no idea what causes that intolerance, but every time I've ever tried to eat vegetable broth, it always causes stomach cramps. Sorry it took me this long to answer the question, I just now saw it :p Goes to show what happens when I don't get an update e-mail...

MommyOfMany

Cavy Slave

spudsthepiget

Cavy Slave
I actually don't, but if I ever start one, I'll let everyone know!

MommyOfMany

Cavy Slave
OK :) It takes awhile to get the hang of it, but is pretty fun once you do! People just randomly start following you, I got 20 followers in the short amount of time I've been on (less than 2 weeks)

spudsthepiget

Cavy Slave
Sweet! I might be getting one sooner than I thought...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.