Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding Using Disposable Bedding in a Large cage

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I am currently retrying out disposable bedding. And I'll be posting the updates/results here. I have a 3x4 with 3 sows. Fleece was becoming too much of a maintenance. I was doing "poop patrols" 2-3 times daily and changing the fleece every 5 days. The fleece was becoming dull and the uhual needed to be soaked in hot water and white vinegar 24hrs before washing to remove the dirty smell. Not urine. Just the smell of dirty bedding.

So, what am I using? Pine pellets and fine cut aspen shavings. I got both at my local feed store for $15. 40lb bag of pine pellets and compressed 3cft of the shavings.
I used half the bag of shavings(could probably have used less) and put a layer of pine pellets where they tinkle most(fleece forest corners) and under the water bottles. Everywhere else, I just sprinkled some pellets.

Yes I am still using the fleece hidys. The fine shavings actually come off the fleece very easily. No clinging or picking of shavings.

It'll be a week tomorrow(Sunday April 14) and I just did a "bedding stir" and changed the forest/tunnels. The bedding was very dry. Very little wet spots. Actually, the only wet spots was under the bottles. The poo mixes in very nicely. You see some, sometimes you see a lot. But they sort of get hidden by themselves.

Due to the pellets expanding when absorbing liquids, I maybe taking out about half the bedding because there a lot of bedding right now. But who knows, maybe more is better?

Pictures....cause a thread is useless without em ;)
Using Disposable Bedding in a Large cage

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If those pellets aren't kiln-dried and free of pine odor, they're not suitable for pigs.

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
I haven't smelt any pine odor. I use the very same pellets in my horses' stalls. So I wouldn't have tried them if I wasn't sure.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Well, the horse pellets at my local feed store aren't at all suitable for pigs.

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
These aren't listed for horses. They're listed to be used in wood burning stoves. Many horse owners I know in my area use them over the actual horse pellets because they're much less dusty.

Aigoo

Cavy Slave
I use disposable bedding for my cage too. I hate laundry, so I prefer to clean the cages and pour new bedding in every week. Surprisingly, the bedding in the cage doesn't smell like I expected it to be. It is already a week, and the bedding is still dry. I have two pigs in 2x5 C&C. I don't see there is point to add in any pellet since the bedding I use only costs me $5.50 8.0 cu.ft. compressed. The bedding brand I use is America's Choice Medium Flake All Natural Animal Bedding. I only use 1/6 of it to spread around the cage. I guess the bedding still doesn't need to be changed by today. I am going to give it extra few days before change it all.

You might want try to go without any pellets to see how it work for you.

Using Disposable Bedding in a Large cage

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
I added in the pellets because I want the bedding to last longer than a week. The whole purpose of us going fleece was to save money and changing disposable bedding every week and buying a new bag of bedding every 2 weeks wasn't saving us money.

Aigoo

Cavy Slave
I added in the pellets because I want the bedding to last longer than a week. The whole purpose of us going fleece was to save money and changing disposable bedding every week and buying a new bag of bedding every 2 weeks wasn't saving us money.

The bedding I buy will last for about 2 months and it costs me $5.50 for about 2 months. I find it pretty cheap. I don't know what it costs you to buy bedding at your area.

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
The cheapest I was finding was $10 a bag. I'm not sure what you're doing differently. Shavings alone wasn't working because there were still wet spots where Mr. Whistles peed. Shavings alone doesn't really absorb liquids. I had to use half a bag for the 2x5 I had and we shavings not being able to absorb liquids, I was having to spot clean daily and doing a full bedding change weekly.

HugglesBubble

Cavy Slave
Sounds cool! I'm going back to trying out the disposable bedding and I have to agree, KT does get wet under the bottles xD but I'm kinda liking it better than the fleece, no putting the flippers back together..

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
I use Aspen shavings for my cages. I really didn't like fleece, it was too much for me to be sweeping poops and I hated how hay stuck to everything! My pigs live in my bedroom and I noticed a urine smell after only a couple days with fleece but everything stays fresh smelling with aspen. I live in a fairly expensive area and the cheapest I can get my shavings is about $12.99 for an 8 cubic foot bag. One of these lasts about 2 weeks for my 2 cages which are a 2x4 C&C and one Midwest. I spot clean every couple of days, my girls tend to have corners they go in and then do a full shavings clean every week. It's not the lowest maintenance bedding but it works for me. I would love to have something that's a little more absorbent an lasts longer but I am yet to find a cost effective bedding that I like better than aspen. I would love to use carefresh but it is way to expensive for me to ever consider!

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I use wood pellets underneath shavings in the rescue, and it works very well. The wood pellets do a great job with wetness control, and the shavings make a mostly dry layer on top. We are only able to clean cages once a week in the rescue, so this works for us.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
I have never even thought of wood pellets but I'm going to pick some up to try to use in combo with my shavings! Does anyone have a particular brand they recommend? I just looked online and there are quite a few options in my area for 40lbs bags for about 5 dollars. I just want to try and find one that doesn't have the strong odor that has been mentioned. I also see some hardwood pellets or softwood, does anyone know if one is better than the other?

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
I really like carefresh too. I feel like the "natural" color would help hide the poos more. You must use a thin layer of shavings to have 1 bag last that long! Is it 8 cubic feet expanded or compressed? I haven't seen anything larger than 3 cubic feet compressed.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
I put in about 2 inches I would say! Its definitely enough that urine soaks down and the top of the bedding isn't wet or gross! I do spot clean every other day as my girls have 2 specific spots they like to use as a bathroom and change weekly.

I get Nepco lab bedding and it comes in big paper bags that are compressed to 4 cubic feet and then expand to 8 cubic feet. It is the largest quantity that I have been able to find! I get it from a more obscure more rural pet store instead of the traditional pet smart.

I really like it, its very high quality because it is lab grade and it has never been dusty and is always soft!

kanojochan

Cavy Slave
I haven't tried fleece bedding yet but I love my pine shavings (yes, kiln-dried). The bedding is 3 inches deep in their 2x6 C&C cage, and 1/6 of it gets changed out daily as part of spot cleaning. I'll admit, it has been a couple of weeks since the last deep clean, but the cage still smells fresh!

I get my shavings from a feed store. The package expands to 12 cubic feet and costs $9. I got it 3 weeks ago and have used about 60% of it so far.

CavyHouse

Cavy Slave
We use kiln-dried pine shavings in our rescue. We get the America's Choice from the feed stores. A 3 cubic foot bag (expands to 7.5 cubic feet) costs us $6-$7. I can change bedding for about 15 piggies with that size bag. I have lots of cages in my bedroom and the smell is rarely an issue.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Aren't the pellet and what ever you use so much better? When I just redid their cage, I put fleece over the wood pellets and the cage looked horrible compared to when I use the pellets with another loose bedding type. I took the fleece off today and added the care fresh, it just was too messy and too hot. I live on a 3rd floor apartment and it hit 82 in here today. So they also now have their frozen water bottles on the large tunnels now too.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.