Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Needing to Rehome Pigs;

CavieGuy

Cavy Slave
I don't think the person is telling the truth about how she found her piggies a good home. I just saw her ad on CLs which was updated 16 hours ago.

(broken link removed)

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer

4cavies

Cavy Slave
Why lie at all if its in the best interest of the pigs and not for selfish reasons? Hopefully when/if they do find a new home, they will find someone who actually LOVES them. Love doesn't stop for inconvience.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I am such a different person from last year and the year before I would have ripped and ripped into her. All I can think now is to just let it go, funny how chronic pain can change your perspective on so many things.

We really need to let it go, it just upsetting to us. She is only a kid, as others have pointed out, not that it is an excuse. Blame the parents all you want, do your best not to raise your children and grand children this way. My guinea pigs are my grandsons, so he can see not all animals( small pets) die all the time, they are well taken care of too.

4cavies

Cavy Slave
I try not to rip into people, I have seen some really snappy posts. I guess all I mean is that I hope they find someone who really loves them and best wishes to the pigs. I drive my husband nuts with wanting to adopt every pig I see so I know they'll be okay. I drove an 8 hour round trip for our newest family member lol

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Without knowing any history here, and while the whole tone of this post seems more attention seeking than genuine, I have to say that encouraging, shaming, lambasting, etc. someone who clearly no longer wants an animal to keep/have them ... for whatever reason(s) ... is neither encouraging responsible pet ownership nor in the best interest of the animals.

Sometimes it's admirable when a person recognizes they no longer want to/can care for an animal, and while it's crucial that people understand and appreciate the commitment and responsibility of animal ownership, leaving pets in the care of someone who doesn't want them seldom ends well for the animals.

Related to that, unfortunately not everyone can keep all the animals they get. It's a hard truth of life. Yes, this person needs to grow up and accept some responsibility for herself and her actions, but really, is there anyone here who hasn't made a mistake with their pets or the care of those pets? It's easy to sit back and criticize but the reality is, we've all done things we regret and wish we hadn't, later.

I know it can be gratifying to respond to this type of post with an exhaustive list of all we've done or sacrificed to keep our pets, honor our commitments, etc, but the plain and simple fact of the matter is, not everyone is willing or able to make those sacrifices or honor those commitments. Like it or not.

In a perfect world everyone who ever gets a pet will keep it and do right by it all its life. Likewise, they'd never take in too many or take on too much, too fast ... but, by contrast, in the real world, circumstances change and those involved may or may not want to make adjustments to keep their pets. In that case, the alternative to responsible rehoming often involves cruelty and neglect to the animals. And, frankly, it seems preferable to see animals rehomed than stuck in a situation where they may or may not have their cage cleaned regularly, may or may not be fed regularly, may or may not be cared for, forgotten, etc.

While I can understand the desire to drive the point home with the owner who has failed so miserably, if the overriding consideration is the welfare of the pigs, maybe it would be best to let it drop and help/encourage this person to find a home where these animals will be cared for as they should, and equally importantly, where they're wanted.

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
@Paula I think the biggest issue people have had is how this person goes back and forth, from wanting more pigs, even adopting one very recently, to wanting to give them up. Who's to say she won't get rid of these, decide she wants more, and go get 6 more? I think the back and forth is the concern. I absolutely agree that rehoming is preferable to neglect.

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
Without knowing any history here, and while the whole tone of this post seems more attention seeking than genuine, I have to say that encouraging, shaming, lambasting, etc. someone who clearly no longer wants an animal to keep/have them ... for whatever reason(s) ... is neither encouraging responsible pet ownership nor in the best interest of the animals.

Sometimes it's admirable when a person recognizes they no longer want to/can care for an animal, and while it's crucial that people understand and appreciate the commitment and responsibility of animal ownership, leaving pets in the care of someone who doesn't want them seldom ends well for the animals.

Related to that, unfortunately not everyone can keep all the animals they get. It's a hard truth of life. Yes, this person needs to grow up and accept some responsibility for herself and her actions, but really, is there anyone here who hasn't made a mistake with their pets or the care of those pets? It's easy to sit back and criticize but the reality is, we've all done things we regret and wish we hadn't, later.

I know it can be gratifying to respond to this type of post with an exhaustive list of all we've done or sacrificed to keep our pets, honor our commitments, etc, but the plain and simple fact of the matter is, not everyone is willing or able to make those sacrifices or honor those commitments. Like it or not.

In a perfect world everyone who ever gets a pet will keep it and do right by it all its life. Likewise, they'd never take in too many or take on too much, too fast ... but, by contrast, in the real world, circumstances change and those involved may or may not want to make adjustments to keep their pets. In that case, the alternative to responsible rehoming often involves cruelty and neglect to the animals. And, frankly, it seems preferable to see animals rehomed than stuck in a situation where they may or may not have their cage cleaned regularly, may or may not be fed regularly, may or may not be cared for, forgotten, etc.

While I can understand the desire to drive the point home with the owner who has failed so miserably, if the overriding consideration is the welfare of the pigs, maybe it would be best to let it drop and help/encourage this person to find a home where these animals will be cared for as they should, and equally importantly, where they're wanted.

I agree. The majority of us are adults, and this is a child.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.