Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Hey question about my C&C cage I bought 2x4

Pink Portrait

Cavy Slave
So as some of you may know my abandoned/rescue piggy is preggo.:eek:hmy: Vet thinks he feels two babies. So this was one of those cases where I had to go out and buy a cage right away. She stayed overnight in a cat crate.

I bought this C&C cage for her 2x4 I'm not transferring her to it since she's so close to having her pups and think it would stress her.
So here is my actual question if I have a boy or 2 boys for that matter would it be possible to split the cage and have them be comfortable? If not what would be your suggestion?:confused:

jubespiggies

Cavy Slave
Assuming that you're going to keeping all of them if there are only 2 male pups, a 2x2 cage is definately not enough. Boars especially need pretty big cages, bigger than the standard cage size for 2 guinea pigs, which is a 2x4. If there are 2 male pups, you could try keeping the pups in the 2x4 and the mother in a seperate cage near them once they have weaned. Did you just buy enough grids and coroplast for just a 2x4, or did you have extra? The seperate cage can be built out of grids or coroplast, or you could use a smaller pet store cage, but only as a temporary solution.
If all pups are female, a 2x4 is still not big enough, but should be fine as a temporary solution, seeing as they're still babies. If you do have one male baby, you could neuteur him and still keep a herd.
The only case that a 2x4 is enough as a permanent solution is if there is only one pup, and the mother and the pup can stay together. But good luck with your cage situation anyway!

Pink Portrait

Cavy Slave
Assuming that you're going to keeping all of them if there are only 2 male pups, a 2x2 cage is definately not enough. Boars especially need pretty big cages, bigger than the standard cage size for 2 guinea pigs, which is a 2x4. If there are 2 male pups, you could try keeping the pups in the 2x4 and the mother in a seperate cage near them once they have weaned. Did you just buy enough grids and coroplast for just a 2x4, or did you have extra? The seperate cage can be built out of grids or coroplast, or you could use a smaller pet store cage, but only as a temporary solution.
If all pups are female, a 2x4 is still not big enough, but should be fine as a temporary solution, seeing as they're still babies. If you do have one male baby, you could neuteur him and still keep a herd.
The only case that a 2x4 is enough as a permanent solution is if there is only one pup, and the mother and the pup can stay together. But good luck with your cage situation anyway!
Whatever comes with this one. https://www.guineapigcagesstore.com/candc-cage-covered-large#.UeC-3sV0mbt
Not alot of floor space in my room. So another cage would probably have to go on top.
Is it possible to find some grids at places like kmart and wallmart? I heard about some people finding them there.

jubespiggies

Cavy Slave
I'm not too sure where you can find grids in America cos I live in Australia, but I know that Kmart & Wallmart stock them. There are some Kmart & Target grids where the grid holes are too big. This link has some suggestions for places you can find grids: https://www.guineapigcages.com/cubes.htm For the upper level, you need additional coroplast, which you can buy from a sign shop or you could use a shower curtain, but that's mainly temporary. You'll also need either wooden supports or alot of cable ties to hold the upper levels, though with cable ties, they could still sag in the middle. Try browsing through the cages section in this forum if you need some extra pictures/ideas. lol

jubespiggies

Cavy Slave
@Pink Portrait Yup, those grids are safe :D Good luck with building your cage!

Pink Portrait

Cavy Slave

Rabbit_Lover

Cavy Slave
Actually these are the better deal and there the safe ones. (broken link removed)

TheMuffinPiggy

Cavy Slave
Is there any way you could neuter the boy/boys? Are you keeping both no matter what gender?

Pink Portrait

Cavy Slave
Actually these are the better deal and there the safe ones. (broken link removed)

Reviving this thread for a second because I got two packages of those for 18.99 each.

PhinniePig

Cavy Slave
I also just bought a pack of the kmart ones for 18.99. :)

gertieshmertz

Cavy Slave
Geez you guys got better deals than me. I got my pack at kmart for $22.99. I hate Missouri lol

Pink Portrait

Cavy Slave
I also just bought a pack of the kmart ones for 18.99. :)
Yay! I'm so excited/relieved.
Geez you guys got better deals than me. I got my pack at kmart for $22.99. I hate Missouri lol
Well, someone mentioned they were on sale and someone linked to this specific one that was 18.99 so I figured I best strike while the iron is hot.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.