Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece piggybedspreads, fleece flippers or DIY version?????

MommaOfFour

Cavy Slave
Hey all,

I have been debating if I should purchase from piggybedspreads.com or buy fleece flippers or make my own version for a while and just can't figure our what would work best.
I have a 56"×56" cage, live the piggybedspread idea but since I need custom size or would cost me $150 plus shipping. So I want to be 10000% sure before making such a decision.
My piggies currently live in washable output pass that I wash once a week and scoop poop twice a day. I'm thinking about just getting fleece at a craft store like Joanns, putting it on top of the pads....
Do you think this would work as good as the other product? Im all for more economical but only if it doesn't turn out to be a waste of money. I'm afraid the pads won't be absorbent enough. Does anyone have pads better than the ones frim ezwhelp or so?

Any advice is highly welcomed and appriciated!
I also don't have a sewing machine btw even though I dream about learning how to sew and having my own machine to make liners :)

chas25

Cavy Slave
Really depends on whether you're willing to fork out the money. I've never uses the flippers because personally I'm not willing to spend the money for it. I use the 2.88 fleece blankets from walmart (which probably won't require sewing depending on the dimensions of your cage) and towels underneath (though I'm probably gonna upgrade to $8 uhaul pads for simplicity). Also if you ever decide to change your cage you may be looking at forking out more money.

kendalm7

Cavy Slave
I would try the cheap way first with do it your self! And clip the fleece over the coro with clips! And see how you like it and if u get sick of it or dislike it you didn't put a lot of money into it and then u can try something new! I love piggybedspreads I have one for my two boys they really are made with care and dedication I love them and they work really well! Pros: easy to do , won't leak through to bottom coro at all, comes in adorable fabrics, really made with care!
cons: pretty heavy when soiled on after a week, I wash mine for my two boys once a week, it does smell acidy pee when it's been a week for my two boys but that's normal ovb lol and that's really all! If u go with piggybedspreads go with a bright light colored fleece pattern I had a black backround one and It made my room even darker when my rooms already dark (lighting) and now there on a new one that I love! And so do they! Also u don't have to worry about them climbing under the fleece as I see that's a lot of people's issues! Good luck with what you try:)

my piggy bed spread

Attachments

image.jpg

MommaOfFour

Cavy Slave
Aww I'm sorry about all the typos.... stupid auto correct on my phone grrrr.
Anyway, I meant washable puppy pads but it seems you were able to figure that out lol.
I loooove the patterns of the bedspreads too so adorable! And that's a great idea going with a lighter color.
The only thing Ill probably get annoyed with is the layers of pads/uhaul blanket, then fleece. Then having to align it and fix it onto the coro with clippers. I work fulltime, busy schedule and job and will most likely just want to be able to put it together in just a few min after washing.
However, it takes about a month for custom.orders to ship and ill want to switch to fleece asap.... hmmm... I might just go with a diy for a few weeks and then maybe get the piggybedspread set.... we'll see.

Do you generally have any preferences as far as washable pads or uhaul blankets are concerned?

jackfish14

Cavy Slave
I would also suggest the cheap way. If not then the next best would be the piggie bedspreads. I made mine after I watched a youtube video. It was really easy to make and I find having the fabric go over the sides makes a HUGE difference in clean up. They tend to poop around the sides a lot and it saves me time by not having to clean up poop that has gone underneath. I too am looking at the piggie bedspreads site cuz the fabric store in town here has such a poor selection in fleece. Also my homemade cuddle cups turned out horribly as I didnt use a stiff enough batting on the inside. :(

MommaOfFour

Cavy Slave
I would also suggest the cheap way. If not then the next best would be the piggie bedspreads. I made mine after I watched a youtube video. It was really easy to make and I find having the fabric go over the sides makes a HUGE difference in clean up. They tend to poop around the sides a lot and it saves me time by not having to clean up poop that has gone underneath. I too am looking at the piggie bedspreads site cuz the fabric store in town here has such a poor selection in fleece. Also my homemade cuddle cups turned out horribly as I didnt use a stiff enough batting on the inside. :(

Oh I'm sorry your cuddle cup didnt turn out as planned! I'm sure next time you try it'll be a success :)
What did you use for absorbent material for your spreads you made? Did you have to use a sewing machine? I want to learn how to sew like tjat soooo bad.... maybe ill have to hint at my hubby to find classes and get me equipment for our anniversary lol

jackfish14

Cavy Slave
I use u-haul pads and they work great. I just cut 2 pieces and lay them under the fleece. I did use a sewing machine cuz to hand sew it would have taken forever. As it was it took me almost a whole day to cut all the pieces for the top and bottom layer and for the pee pads and sew them. I do suggest that you make sides for the top layer. That's how I discovered it being much easier to clean up with the sides.
- this is the video I used to make my fleece liner and it worked perfectly!

MommaOfFour

Cavy Slave
oh okay, I got you!
I can't wait to have a sewing machine. do you think I could teach myself or would you recommend classes?
Thanks for the video too, I'll watch that later after work ;)

Lovesome piggie

Cavy Slave
I taught myself to sew, I just watched alot of videos:) there are a lot of great videos on how to sew that might help too.

jackfish14

Cavy Slave
Only sewing experience I have was from high school back in the 90's. LOL! I couldn't even sew a button on a shirt properly. I promise you the hardest part of this was making sure you cut it properly. Remember to measure twice and cut once.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
I actually use a piece of coroplast, then lay a towel down, a piece of fleece and clip everything at the sides. That works best for me and everything stays tight when i sweep. Someone on here came up with the idea, although I don't remember who. It's a no sew liner.

MommaOfFour

Cavy Slave
I actually use a piece of coroplast, then lay a towel down, a piece of fleece and clip everything at the sides. That works best for me and everything stays tight when i sweep. Someone on here came up with the idea, although I don't remember who. It's a no sew liner.

That's what I'll probably do this weekend, hubby is working both days so I'll have plenty time for new projects like this :)
I'll also start doing some research on sewing machines as i have NO clue whatsoever what a simple starter machine would cost and all the supplies I'd need with that.
Thanks for all your help! yay, I'm super excited :D

pinky

Cavy Slave
That's what I'll probably do this weekend, hubby is working both days so I'll have plenty time for new projects like this :)
I'll also start doing some research on sewing machines as i have NO clue whatsoever what a simple starter machine would cost and all the supplies I'd need with that.
Thanks for all your help! yay, I'm super excited :D
Check out Freecycle and Goodwill. If you buy one at Goodwill, you can return it for store credit if it doesn't work. I have a sewing machine that broke. I found an almost identical one at Goodwill that cost me $12.50. I was able to to swap the needed part from that one to mine, saving about $100. I've seen a lot of sewing machines there.

MommaOfFour

Cavy Slave
Check out Freecycle and Goodwill. If you buy one at Goodwill, you can return it for store credit if it doesn't work. I have a sewing machine that broke. I found an almost identical one at Goodwill that cost me $12.50. I was able to to swap the needed part from that one to mine, saving about $100. I've seen a lot of sewing machines there.

great idea to look at Goodwill! thanks :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.