Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Infection skin infection? Mites? Fungal?

WaltG

Cavy Gazer
Ok, My kids got 2 guinea pigs for Christmas, not a spur of the moment thing, they've been asking for months. So the smaller one got a sore on his back. At first we thought it was bite marks from the other (He's kind of a butt) so we separated them but seems to be persistant. He seems to be active, eating well, drinking, etc.

This is our first experience with guinea pigs so not sure. I ordered some anti-fungal stuff from amazon but not sure if that's it.

Attachments

82210425_2437447049714672_3777851197747101696_n.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
That may be a classic ringworm hair loss pattern. So start with fungus, but if it doesn't work, you may need a prescription strength cream for it. Just don't get an oral antifungal unless absolutely nothing else works -- that stuff is hard on all living things, pigs or human or whatever else.

WaltG

Cavy Gazer
I think fungus is a good place to start. What is the medication you got? Monistat is one OTC medication that does the job. You just apply it to the entire bald spot with a q-tip twice a day.

This one... (broken link removed)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If you use a spray, put it only on the skin, and not the hair around it. And take a q-tip and rub it in well. You don't want the pig to ingest any of it when they groom themselves.

halal.jose

Cavy Slave
That is ringworm and is easily treated. My two boys used to have ringworm and got treated with anti-ringworm cream and head and shoulders shampoo. One of my Guinea pigs Oso is in the middle of a ringworm treatment and is clearing up, but Oso has really stubborn ringworm so it is taking longer to clear up than my other Guinea Pigs :/ But, be patient as some ringworm may be more stubborn than others. I hope this piece of information helps! If you have any more questions on ringworm feel free to ask me as I have had to sadly deal with it many times with my pigs :/ Have a nice day! :D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.