Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Chewing Health

shweta.rawat

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig seem to work at chewing like he has something caught in his mouth that he is trying to unstick?[emoji26]
Plz tell me what problem is it..

Sent from my Lenovo A7000-a using Tapatalk

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Has this only happened once? Has he lost any weight?

If this is a one time occurrence just keep a good eye on him for now and see if it happens again or if he starts losing weight.

Generally when there is issues with chewing the first thing that comes to mind is possible issues with the teeth. Have a read of this page, https://www.guinealynx.info/malocclusion.html

shweta.rawat

Cavy Slave
Regularly he is doing that but there is no signs of weight loss ..he is eating normally but he chew something Everytime while he was sitting (not food) that crunch voice comes when he do that chew thing

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
If you don't have one, I recommend purchasing a kitchen scale so you can accurately weigh him. Sometimes it's hard to tell when pigs are losing weight, but if you weigh him every day or two at the same time you should notice any disturbing trends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shweta.rawat

Cavy Slave
But he is eating normally so how he can lose weight

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
She's suggesting to you that loss of weight is often the first symptom that a pig is getting ill. If you weigh your pig regularly (the best time is before breakfast), then you'll be able to catch any illness quickly.

shweta.rawat

Cavy Slave
Ohh okay.. thanks!

shweta.rawat

Cavy Slave
Has this only happened once? Has he lost any weight?

If this is a one time occurrence just keep a good eye on him for now and see if it happens again or if he starts losing weight.

Generally when there is issues with chewing the first thing that comes to mind is possible issues with the teeth. Have a read of this page, https://www.guinealynx.info/malocclusion.html
So is he having overgrown teeth problem...do I have to bring him to vet or it is normal thing for guinea pig?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If his teeth are overgrown, he absolutely has to see a vet for dental work or he'll starve to death. There is no other way to treat that.

You need a vet with rodent dental experience. A vet who sees a lot of rabbits will do in a pinch if you can't find one that treats guinea pigs.

If you can't find a vet that will plane his teeth, the kindest thing would be to euthanize him. If he gets to the point that he can't eat at all, he'll develop very painful stomach ulcers and GI stasis, and die in a lot of pain.

shweta.rawat

Cavy Slave
I think he is not having malocclusion bcz under an article about sign of malocclusion , there is written that the mouth of a guinea pig with malocclusion may hang slightly open and may have slobber problem but he is not having any of these symptoms and can properly close his mouth

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
That's good! Something occurred to me thinking about this thread, is the noise your pig makes a tooth clicky chattering noise? You can google guinea pig chattering if you're not sure what I mean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shweta.rawat

Cavy Slave
Oh sure thanks. 😊

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.