Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Remodeling with Guinea Pigs

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
For the next month or so we will be doing some remodeling on our living room and kitchen. My Guinea Boys are in my living room and their cage is a very heavy custom cage. I'm trying to figure out how to do this as safely and stress free as possible.

My concerns involve sanding woodwork and painting. I do plan to purchase a no VOC paint and I can move them during the day to a playpen in my room. If I fully cover their cage while sanding and/or painting takes place it should be alright to put them back at night correct? Is there anything else I should do or be concerned about that I haven't thought of? Any experiences to share? Thanks in advance everyone!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Sounds like a plan to me!

miniver

Cavy Slave
I just painted my main floor. I had wires to move and drywall patches to sand before I even started painting. 4 weeks quickly became 8. It took an entire afternoon to move the cage to the spare room but I'm glad I did it.

On the other hand, I missed having them in the main part of the house. Also, they knew they were in a different room even though they were in the exact same cage. By week seven they got very skittish. One girl started wheeking like she was dying in the middle of the night because she wanted attention. It only took a day for them to settle down once they were back in the living room.

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
@miniver I have a little bit of sanding to do in the living room but most of the big work is in the kitchen. When you say you're glad you moved them, why so? What benefit did you feel you got?

miniver

Cavy Slave
I did the work myself, so it was done evenings and weekends. It gave me the flexibility to sand and paint anything at any time. I think it would have been too much of a disturbance to move them back and forth at odd hours or for short periods of time. Also, I would have gladly used them as an excuse to be lazy. "I can't disturb my sleeping fur-babies so I may as well sit on the sofa and watch tv". :)

It sounds like you have a much more structured plan than I had.

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
I did the work myself, so it was done evenings and weekends. It gave me the flexibility to sand and paint anything at any time. I think it would have been too much of a disturbance to move them back and forth at odd hours or for short periods of time. Also, I would have gladly used them as an excuse to be lazy. "I can't disturb my sleeping fur-babies so I may as well sit on the sofa and watch tv". :)

It sounds like you have a much more structured plan than I had.

Lol...I wouldn't say it's structured as much as it's now a panic driven project. My daughters graduation party is coming up and my kitchen has been disassembled for awhile, waiting for me to "feel like" doing it. Now I'm running out of time and need to get my butt in gear. :)

miniver

Cavy Slave
Ha, ha. That's how all my projects finally get finished. I run out of time!

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.