Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Dominance They are going CRAZY ! Help LOL

Judypie

Cavy Slave
My 3 boys have lost their minds. They are chasing, pushing each other off railings, humping, squealing, and well just Look at them... It's ridicules.
Pumpkin is 2 years and the other two are 6 months.
I had 2 females in the room in a separate cage but I recently adopted them to a lovely family. I dont know if they are mad they cant smell the girls anymore or if it is just the boys are in puberty. I sure hope it slows down because they are tearing up their house. The only time they have ever done this was when the all first met. Now they are all big and its a lot different. They are not biting each other so it has not gotten violent.
Any ideas? will it just take time?
[video=youtube;VI50_Ah1IVo]

LOVED your video, as I always do. :cool: Everything that is going on with them, ( as I KNOW you know this in your head, but your Mama's heart is worried, I know...) is absolutely NORMAL. Oh ! They are just too cute, I love watching them.

They are just playing out the dominance game, that's all. You know that. It is hard to watch, but hang in there....be PATIENT, be ENCOURAGED, because, this "too shall pass..." Once they establish their hierarchy, things will settle down some, I promise !❤️

I really just love your cage sooooOOo much Judy....I wish I could have something like that ! Is is hard to clean ?

Last edited:
I honestly have no idea... but they're cute piggies! I hope somebody can help you.

Looks like normal dominance behaviour. It will wind down in a month or two, maybe... Hehe they are so cute! Hope they get along in the end...

Well, I can't be of any help but I just wanted to say you have 3 cute piggies and Love your cage! :)

It'll just take time, and a lot of it. How much boar glue have you had to cut out of them?

LOL So far this morning they havent done any of this behavior but I did clean the cage compleatly and (broken link removed)
asked how hard it was to clean: Well I have 2 sets of the fleece bedding and I just change as needed. The bottom where all the hay is, is the most changed out. The other levels dont get as bad.
(broken link removed)
asked about the boar glue: Well I have not seen any on the boys luckily but there is one big blob of it on one of the bedding things. ha ha

Okay bad news,,, Pumpkin has decided to be a huge bully. I hear teeth chattering and they are really giving it a go. One of the younger boys is trying his best to become head dude and one is just wanting to stay out of it. I am going to try and give it a few more days and keep my eyes and ears open. I hope I do not have to separate them. Lucky me they are in a 3 level and I could very easily convert it so they each have there own floor. So each piggy would have a 2 by 6 feet. Or I could just put the trouble maker on his own floor....

Judypie..you have read about Dominance behaviours on cavy spirit right ? Just in case you haven't...here is the link :Guinea Pigs Social Life

It still sounds like your boys are displaying dominance behaviours within the normal range, from what you described. It is TOTALLY worth it, to give things a good go before you decide to separate them, for you want them to be cagematey's you know ? It keeps them healthier and happier in the long run, if they can just get through this dominance dance.

Yes I am going to keep them together unless I see actual blood or feel they are in danger. I just hope they dont severely hurt each other while I'm at work. I may be over reacting since I have not seen this with them before. I have read a lot on them and know separating them just makes them have to do it all over again if I wanted them back together. I would love it if they just resolve it. Keeping them as buddies is the goal.
I will be patient LOL
PS I haven't heard anything naughty from them this morning .. so its just ruff moments here and there I guess.

The thing that I would question is the amount of ventilation on the lower two levels. Having plexiglass front and the solid wood overhead, there probably isn't a lot of air movement in there with the back of the cage against the wall. Their scent is probably really strong in there which might be increasing the frenzy. The wood looks like it has varnish so I wonder how long it will be for them to start chewing it?

What is boar glue? Is it semen?

I found some on Gumball the other day.. that's what I thought it could be. Felt like glue.. asked Sarah if she was doing a craft while holding him... So, for him to get it on his upper behind, that would have to mean Darwin put it there, right? He's so small... I'd say maybe two mos old... is that possible? Gumball outweighs him by at least a pound. And Gumball is the most dominate one, at least for now.???

Yes, boar glue is dried semen, and yes, a two-month old can produce it.

The thing that I would question is the amount of ventilation on the lower two levels. Having plexiglass front and the solid wood overhead, there probably isn't a lot of air movement in there with the back of the cage against the wall.Well the sides are also fencing and the cage is 1/2 foot from the wall and I have a ceiling fan on in the room at all times. Their scent is probably really strong in there which might be increasing the frenzy. The wood looks like it has varnish so I wonder how long it will be for them to start chewing it?
The bottom of every floor is completely covered and there is a 4 inch high barrier around each floor and then the fencing is on the inside so they cant chew on it at all ,, I was thinking that when I built it. also I did change the doors since that photo. I took away all the plexi glass and framed the openings and made wood doors with fencing :) here is a new pic.. first pic is the guinea pigs on the left and my rats on the right and then 2nd pic is the guineas on top eating.
They are going CRAZY ! Help LOLThey are going CRAZY ! Help LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
of course I did put some of the fencing in the front on the out side instead of the inside.. I will have to watch just to make sure but they haven't tried to chew it at all.

Judypie, I'm not sure I understand the layout of your cage. Is it three levels? If so, what are the dimensions of each level? Am I understanding correctly that each level is 2'x6'?

As a general rule, multiple levels don't work nearly as well as one large flat area. The pigs can't get away from each other without going up and down the ramps, which can be blocked by another pig, and pigs can be trapped on one level and can't get away.

The problem with wooden cages is that yes, they will eventually start chewing. Do you know what kind of varnish it is, and whether it is safe for pigs? If not, you might consider covering it with plexiglass. They'll gnaw it, too, but it's much harder and they don't usually make a dent in it.

All that said, you've got three boars and two are in full-fledged puberty and the other's not long past it. Things aren't going to calm down for quite a while yet. If no one is being bitten, or harassed to the point that he can't eat properly, then let them be. But do weigh them frequently to make sure they're all getting enough to eat.

Judypie, I'm not sure I understand the layout of your cage. Is it three levels? If so, what are the dimensions of each level? Am I understanding correctly that each level is 2'x6'?

As a general rule, multiple levels don't work nearly as well as one large flat area. The pigs can't get away from each other without going up and down the ramps, which can be blocked by another pig, and pigs can be trapped on one level and can't get away.

The problem with wooden cages is that yes, they will eventually start chewing. Do you know what kind of varnish it is, and whether it is safe for pigs? If not, you might consider covering it with plexiglass. They'll gnaw it, too, but it's much harder and they don't usually make a dent in it.

All that said, you've got three boars and two are in full-fledged puberty and the other's not long past it. Things aren't going to calm down for quite a while yet. If no one is being bitten, or harassed to the point that he can't eat properly, then let them be. But do weigh them frequently to make sure they're all getting enough to eat.

I dont know how many times I can say this ,, the fencing is covering the wood the fencing is on the inside except in the front but a 4 inch of clear plastic is covering it there. I also made the ramps wide enough for pigs to pass each other. and I believe even if it were only one level of 2 by 6 it would be enough room and I have 3. my post was not about my cage but the behavior.
Thanks for all the help

wait ,, I have to admit my steps on the middle level is not the best idea and I have been trying to come up with something better... doing my best anyways .. I love to build so who knows what I will make for them next.

It actually looks like a really awesome cage.... you done good.

my post was not about my cage but the behavior.

Judypie, nobody's criticizing you, but the fact is, the cage affects the behavior. That's why we're asking questions about it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.