Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Chewing Excessive chewing on bars?

chewyguineapig

Cavy Slave
My female guinea pig Carmie has been chewing on the bars of her 3x4 c&c cage like crazy! She just chew,chew, chews ALL THE TIME. She has wood chews that she doesn't touch. She only likes the bars.She doesn't have a friend, so I am thinking that is why she chews soo much. If this is wrong then let me know. It's the most annoying thing ever, so I really want it to stop. Let me know what you think!

I had to buy plexiglass to line parts of my cage to keep one of mine from chewing.

Same here, I bought the pig-a-boo plexiglass windows from the guinea pig cages store b/c Ferb wouldn't stop chewing the bars and then he taught Penny so they were both doing it.

you could try higher coroplast walls so they can't chew.

Weaving things through the bars sometimes reroutes their chewing. You can get long woven palm leaf (palm shredders) sold for birds or safe wood twigs that are young enough to bend.

One of mine chewed the bars a lot as well but not so much that it would be a major issue. Having wooden houses in there might help. Try cleaning the grids to make sure they don't smell like food and that there's always fresh hay available. I would be careful with using too many plexiglass/coroplast sides as the ventilation in the cage will suffer.

I never tried this but maybe you could wrap something around each of the bars so ventilation remains good, like fleece or something? I'd imagine it would be quite a bit of work, especially to clean. So I'm not sure how practical that would be but it might be a good temporary solution until your piggy is used to the idea of chewing on their wooden houses/toys etc. instead?

Okay, thanks everyone I will have to try some of these tips. So you don't think that is has to do with her being single pig? Like could she just be really bored or what?

My chewer wasn't a single pig. But pigs are definitely happier with another of their own kind.

My female guinea pig Carmie has been chewing on the bars of her 3x4 c&c cage like crazy! She just chew,chew, chews ALL THE TIME. She has wood chews that she doesn't touch. She only likes the bars.She doesn't have a friend, so I am thinking that is why she chews soo much. If this is wrong then let me know. It's the most annoying thing ever, so I really want it to stop. Let me know what you think!

My foster guinea pig Cheeto bites on the wire bars all the time. I feel you it is very annoying
if he is a single guinea pig get him a friend to keep the boredom down or if your guinea pig is a dominant. get him some high rated toys
hope it helps!!!

Mine does the same thing when does i sprinkle some hay where he is doing and completely forgets about the cage bars. It's always the same spot so I moved his water over there and he doesn't bit the bars as often.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.