Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Need help with taming guinea pigs

guineapigs2468

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone I have read lots of different ways of taming guinea pigs but I need more help. I have 5 guinea pigs and they don't like being handled at all. The only way I can get them to come to me is by using veggies. I would appreciate information about how you tamed your guinea pigs and if there is something I could do to help tame mine. Thanks I am new to this forum so sorry if this post is in the wrong area.

jacoby

Cavy Slave
Get them in a safe room on the floor with blankets or towels with some hiding spots and pick them up one at a time being very quiet and gentle. sit on the floor with them and talk they will get used to you and look forward to lap time. by nature in a group of guinea pigs they will run from you. just be calm around them and they learn to look forward to spending time with you

Kimberly713

Cavy Slave
Most will not just gladly let you grab them, but that doesn't mean they don't enjoy time with people. Just hold them often and right before you put them back in the cage give them a treat. They'll learn quick.
One of my girls doesn't like to be held, she runs like she's being attacked if you reach for her. She acts as if she wants nothing to do with you unless you have food as well. Once I get her though she relaxes and it's clear she trusts me.
My other pig, is very friendly. Sometimes she actually yells at us to pick her up, and will often allow you to pet her for just a moment whilst in the cage. She might scurry a few inches from my hands but otherwise enjoys being held, she doesn't care for my other pig too much though haha. Definitely a people piggy.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It helps if you catch them in a box. Cut holes in the end of a shoe box, and gently shoo them in there. You can put a treat in the box if want to help them go in. Put your hands over the holes and lift the box out of the cage. Sit with them on your lap and feed them yummy treats -- food the best (only?) way to a guinea pig's heart!

guineapigs2468

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone who posted. Your ideas have helped with my guinea pigs and hopefully over time they will start to trust me more.:)

guineapigs2468

Cavy Slave
Hello there, and GOOD MORNING ! :)

Have you seen my thread called " Breakthrough ! Getting along with your guinea pig" in the special reference section ? Here, let me give you the link, in case you would like to read about my journey in "taming" my two girls.
https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...getting-along-your-guinea-pig.html#post563361

Let me know what you think !

i read through the story about your breakthrough with your guinea pigs well done and good luck with them in the future. one of my guinea pigs, she is an abby breed and she is starting to show signs like your guinea pig cuddles. however she is still very cheeky but she is the dominant pig out of the 5.

anydue

Cavy Slave

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
Anydue ! :eek: Thank you SO MUCH for sharing skinnypig1's " 10 Tips For Taming Your Guinea Pig" AWESOME video ! :cool: That is the absolute BEST ALL TIME taming guinea pig video that I have EVER seen. I LOVED IT. Wow. Seriously. I love it so much that I plan to email Teresa to tell her about it !!

I wish we had a place on our forum for SPECIAL well done ( only those sharing accurate up to date information and upholds the quality standards of complete care that Teresa's site encompasses, of course..) videos like this one. Her cages are awesome, and her piggies are so adorable !!!

guineapigs2468

Cavy Slave
Thanks the video was a great help with my pigs.

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
The tips in this video are so common sense if one is an experienced cavy owner. We often do the same actions without really thinking about it.

Yes, but some people truly lack "common sense" and even some people that have had guinea pigs for a long time does not necessarily mean they take care of them properly or can be equated as "experienced" in good cavy care. Especially if they haven't taken the time to educate themselves.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.