Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions PLEASE HELP!!Uncertain guinea pig mental issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuineaPigs98

Cavy Slave
My pig was just sitting with me in bed. Then I made the tiniest flinch and he started sprinting around the bed, very very scared of me, and fell off the bed.He then ran into the bathroom, and I caught him. I thought he was just being weird. I caught him and put him back in the bed. I made the tiniest flinch again, and he did this again and I caught him and put him back in bed, and I knew something was weird. I comforted him and calmed him,and put him in bed once again. I got him some lettuce and put it next to him for him to eat it, and he just stood there. That was weird because he eats everything. Then he fell off the bed again, the side this time, I caught him, comforted, and put him in his cage with his lettuce. This is very wierd. Plus, my piggy only occasionally runs, and this time he was sprinting for his life from me round and round. Then someone else pet him and he ran into his hay hut, but began to eat his lettuce. He was eating it with a weird rhythm though, not normal. I think he might've injured his mouth on one of his falls. Then he stopped eating, and he just stood in his hut for about 7 min., staring at me , frozen, waiting for me to come at him with a knife to chop off his head. Then he ran into his house, dragging the lettuce with him, and began eating it again with that weird rhythm. Yesterday I noticed a funny hop in his step or limp. I pointed it out and someone said he thought there was a bulge on his side.Goes scheduled for a vet appointment tomorrow.Can this be a mental health problem physical, what?Please help!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No, it's not a mental health problem. It's a problem with you not properly confining your pig and allowing it repeatedly fall off the bad.

Pigs are prey animals, which means that pretty much everything scares them to death. Your movements scared your pig, and after the first time, you should have put it back in the cage so it could calm down in peace.

He may well be injured, and he needs to see an exotic vet, not a dog-and-cat vet. And you need to take better care of your pig.

millsma

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
This sounds really strange, and I wish I could be of help! Good that you're taking him to the vet, and I hope he's ok!

nicoleb

Cavy Slave
It's a physical issue. You let the poor pig fall off of the bed repeatedly. Think of yourself falling from 4 stories high, repeatedly. Not good.

SheWolfSilver

Cavy Slave
Seriously? Have you had your guinea pig on the bed with you before now? I'm not trying to be mean or anything but I would never do this! Guinea pigs are always going to be skittish because they are prey animals! Even if I did do this after the first time I WOULD NOT put it there again to repeat the process!

MochaAndMoo

Cavy Slave
So after your pig fell off the pig more then once you still put him up there?
Guinea pigs are very delicate animals, he could have very easily broken his spine or bones.

CandyApple

Cavy Slave
I don't no if your aware of this but your guinea pig could have died. It has absolutely nothing to do with mental issues because pigs are flight not fight animals. Most pigs will sprint off at the smallest flinch.
Take care of your guinea pig properly and bring him to an exotic vet. No, not a cat, dog or horse vet, a vet who treats rodents and other exotic animals on a regular basis.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
My pig was just sitting with me in bed. Then I made the tiniest flinch and he started sprinting around the bed, very very scared of me, and fell off the bed.He then ran into the bathroom, and I caught him. I thought he was just being weird. I caught him and put him back in the bed. I made the tiniest flinch again, and he did this again and I caught him and put him back in bed, and I knew something was weird. I comforted him and calmed him,and put him in bed once again. I got him some lettuce and put it next to him for him to eat it, and he just stood there. That was weird because he eats everything. Then he fell off the bed again, the side this time, I caught him, comforted, and put him in his cage with his lettuce. This is very wierd. Plus, my piggy only occasionally runs, and this time he was sprinting for his life from me round and round. Then someone else pet him and he ran into his hay hut, but began to eat his lettuce. He was eating it with a weird rhythm though, not normal. I think he might've injured his mouth on one of his falls. Then he stopped eating, and he just stood in his hut for about 7 min., staring at me , frozen, waiting for me to come at him with a knife to chop off his head. Then he ran into his house, dragging the lettuce with him, and began eating it again with that weird rhythm. Yesterday I noticed a funny hop in his step or limp. I pointed it out and someone said he thought there was a bulge on his side.Goes scheduled for a vet appointment tomorrow.Can this be a mental health problem physical, what?Please help!
Repeatedly frightening a pig to the point that it freaks out and runs for its life, to the point of potential injury by falling off the bed and bolting into the nearest place for escape, then expecting the poor creature to eat as it normally would after said fright and being confused that the animal is limping and eating as though he's injured after these repeated falls could very well be indicative of a mental health problem, but I definitely don't think it's the pig's.

CandyApple

Cavy Slave
Repeatedly frightening a pig to the point that it freaks out and runs for its life, to the point of potential injury by falling off the bed and bolting into the nearest place for escape, then expecting the poor creature to eat as it normally would after said fright and being confused that the animal is limping and eating as though he's injured after these repeated falls could very well be indicative of a mental health problem, but I definitely don't think it's the pig's.

That made me LOL @Paula... Good one :p

asnnbrg

Cavy Slave
Your poor piggy! Why did you keep putting him on the bed after he fell off the first time? He could have died!

TiaColleen

Cavy Slave
Oh my, this is so sad. This poor piggy. I would be petrified if my piggy fell even once. I sometimes allow mine on the sofa, but I would never, ever allow him to fall off. If he becomes too scared, they need to go back to there home immediately to feel safe. I hope this is not completely true and that someone would not actually allow this to happen to a living creature.

bguardguy

Cavy Slave

Best post here @Paula.

But seriously though, I am beginning to think this was a fake or troll topic? I don't think anyone that has belonged to this forum since July would be dumb enough to treat their pet like that.... at least that is what I am hoping?

CandyApple

Cavy Slave
I know what you mean @bguardguy... Are they stupid or something *coughmentalhealthproblemscough*

adelore

Cavy Slave
Guinea Pigs do Not have wings, and they are Not good "high jumpers". If one of my girls ever fell off the bed, I'd die on the spot, not put them back up there repeatedly. When my girls get bunk (on the bed time)time on the Semi, they have a fenced in play area, just so this doesn't happen. I can't believe anyone who loved their pet woud do this 3 times. If this is true, maybe this person should think about giving their pet up for adoption.

_Cass_

Cavy Slave
As irresponsible as it was to let your Guinea Pig fall off of your bed, I am glad that you are taking it to the vet. I don't believe it is a mental health problem, but that your pig got scared and ran off, and then after being placed back on the bed he got scared of the situation. Guinea Pigs are prey animals. They get scared. YOU are responsible for making sure that he is safe. If you're unable to watch him and make sure that he won't fall from high areas, and put him into situations where he can get hurt, you should consider rehoming him.

@bguardguy I am hoping this is a troll topic too...

@Paula Haha good one

Mastershroom

Cavy Slave
Not to say that Guineapigs98 wasn't acting irresponsibly, but keep in mind not all beds are created equal, and most bedrooms have carpeted floors. For example, my bed just sits on top of a box spring mattress on the floor, no frame or anything. Maybe a foot and a half from the top of the mattress to the carpet. I'm not going to test this theory, but if any of my pigs went over the edge, they'd be fine. And given that OP's pig sprinted at top speed into another room, it probably wasn't really hurt. Like I say, I'm not trying to defend the OP; the pig should have gone home after the first incident and should never have been allowed to jump off in the first place. Just pointing out something I figure is worth considering.

asnnbrg

Cavy Slave
Deer can run a substantial distance even after being shot in major organs. I wouldn't use this pig's ability to sprint away after falling off the bed as proof that he's fine, particularly since the op has begun another thread complaining that her pig has a large lump in his side that he doesn't like her poking and prodding.

CandyApple

Cavy Slave
Exactly @asnnbrg... The adrenaline stops the pain for a short time, allowing the animal to get away.

bguardguy

Cavy Slave
Guinea Pigs do Not have wings, and they are Not good "high jumpers". If one of my girls ever fell off the bed, I'd die on the spot, not put them back up there repeatedly. When my girls get bunk (on the bed time)time on the Semi, they have a fenced in play area, just so this doesn't happen. I can't believe anyone who loved their pet woud do this 3 times. If this is true, maybe this person should think about giving their pet up for adoption.

I cannot wait until genetic engineering gets to this point!! LITTLE BABY GUINEA PIGS WITH WINGS!!! OH MY!!! lol

asnnbrg

Cavy Slave
I cannot wait until genetic engineering gets to this point!! LITTLE BABY GUINEA PIGS WITH WINGS!!! OH MY!!! lol

Man, I don't know. I had one the other day reach down to get a poop nugget, and instead of eating it, the little stink flipped it out at me. I don't really think I want flying poop cannons all over my house. They'd be cute, all right, but can you imagine the mess?

Status
Not open for further replies.