Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Eyes/Non-crusty Blind guinea pig?

schuksudoon

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
So our pregnant foster piggy had her babies a little over a week ago, and as I've been observing the babies, I'm nearly positive that the littlest is blind. We took in this pregnant female, a male, another female that had just given birth, three babies, and one additional female about three weeks ago from a hoarder who was letting them all live together in a cardboard box. The mama that just had her babies was nearly identical to the male, both white with the exact same black ring around their eyes; this leads me to believe that they were related, and were allowed to breed. As much as I had my fingers crossed, I figured there would be some sort of health issues with the babies.

The baby in question is all white, and super, super tiny. I noticed right away that the others stick to mama like glue, but this one is often off by herself crying loudly, like she can't seem to find her group. She doesn't knock into things, but when I put my hand anywhere near her, she doesn't flinch a bit like the others do.

I know if she can't see there's nothing we can do about it, but I just wanted to see if there are any special things I would need to do for her? She seems to be getting to the food and water fine, and she's got a good appetite. I'm assuming that blindness is just something she'll adapt to, but I want to make sure if there's anything we can do for her that we do it.

I was planning on adopting out the babies once they're old enough and keeping the mama with the rest of my girls. She's a chirper whom I've grown extremely attached to, and the cutest thing. Now after thinking about it, though, should I still try and adopt out little one or should I consider keeping her?

Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

MochaAndMoo

Cavy Slave
It sounds like she's lethal.
Lethals often have small or non-existent eyes and are usually blind, they also often tend to have teeth deformities and digestive issues. If I were you, I'd try and find a good quality veterinarian who is highly experienced (or at least willing to learn) and get her checked out to find the extent of the deformities. They also often have difficulties keeping weight on, make sure you monitor her weight on a kitchen scale, if she's losing rather than gaining, I'd start syringe feeding her.
@RodentCuddles has a lethal, she might be able to help you out. I'd head over to GuineaLynx forums, there are quite a few lethal-owning guinea pig parents over there.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You've no doubt got a lethal white pig. Its eyes will be small or missing, it will be both blind and deaf, may have several deformed or missing teeth, and its intestinal tract will be at an immature stage of development. The user Rodent Cuddles, on here, has one, and Jacqueline has several. Over at Guinea Lynx, the user MildredM has what is probably the most famous lethal in the world, Fairy, and you can read her blog at www.fairymagic.me. She also has a thread in The Cavy Chronicles over at Guinea Lynx (well, 10 of them actually), as do Precious and Soda, two other lethals.

You'll need to make sure the mom is letting it nurse. If not, you'll need to put the pup and the mom in another area occasionally so the pup gets uninterrupted lunch time with mom. You'll also have to see whether it needs handfeeding. If its teeth are fairly well developed and it can pick up food, and if it has molars to chew with, it may be able to eat on its own with only a little help from you -- cutting food into matchstick-sized slivers, for instance. If not, it will need more support from you. And her teeth will probably need fairly frequent trimming to keep them in line -- that's something you can do yourself with rongeurs.

Some people will adopt out a lethal to a special family who's willing and able to provide the extra support they need. Others will keep them themselves.

Be sure to let us know how she gets along.

schuksudoon

Cavy Slave
Thank you both! I've been reading some of the threads on GuineaLynx and they're all very helpful.

Currently she has what seem to be normal sized eyes. I was reading someone saying something about their pig being born with eyes, does that mean hers are more than likely going to shrink/disappear entirely?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No, the eyes won't shrink at all. But if her eyes are normal, she may not be a lethal. Lethals have microphthalmia, which means small or misshapen eyes.

But lethals do have differing degrees of functioning. Many are born dead, or die soon after birth. Those that live may have anything from no teeth at all, to wonky teeth that grow in all directions, to nearly normal teeth. The eyes may be very small and totally closed, or almost normally open but blind. Some have so many digestive problems from the immature intestinal tract that they fail to thrive and die within weeks. Others eat and process food normally. Given that range of function, I guess it's possible that she could be lethal and have normal-looking eyes. Can you post a picture?

Can this baby hear?

I don't know whether it's possible that a lethal guinea pig could have hearing. I've read of lethals that might possibly have had a bit of sight, but not much. But I've never heard of one that could hear.

schuksudoon

Cavy Slave
IMG_7714.jpgIMG_7716.jpg

Here's a couple of pictures of her.

I was focusing so much on trying to figure out if she could see that I didn't think to check about hearing. I got her out a few minutes ago and tried catching her eye again to no avail. Then I crinkled a bag near her (and set my other piggies off from a completely different room) and she didn't react at all. I tried talking and making noises, and I accidentally coughed during the process as well and there was no response, so I don't think she can hear either.

When she walks, I don't know if this is a result of being unable to see, but she's pretty wobbly too. She stumbles and trips over herself, almost like her feet are too big for the rest of her. Not sure if that's something to be watching, or if it's just her being young and getting used to everything?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The stumbling is no doubt due to her age and lack of eyesight. But she does have absolutely the most normal-looking eyes I've ever seen in a lethal.

What do her teeth look like? (Sorry, I should have asked that earlier, before you took the pictures).

She's adorable!

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
I'm only new with owning a 'white'...and have asked Fairy's owner many many questions via email!

Here is the thread for my baby...she is the pig who my little brother has most bonded to and he says her and him are soul mates..so sweet!
https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=68574
My little girl is just going to go out side for the first time.

Best of luck with your girl whether she be a 'white' or not!

schuksudoon

Cavy Slave
We had to take a break on the teeth for a bit, she seemed like she was getting really stressed out.

I managed to get a look inside myself, but I couldn't hold on to her and maneuver the camera at the same time. I can ask my roommate to take the picture whenever he gets home.

My quick glance looked like she might only have one top tooth. I only got a little peek for a few seconds, so I can't be positive, but that's what it looked like to me. As far as bottom, I didn't see anything, but I was having a heck of a time getting her to let me open her mouth all the way and I didn't want to freak her out too much.

She got head scratches afterwards and promptly closed her eyes and chilled out.

schuksudoon

Cavy Slave
And thanks, @RodentCuddles!
I hope Precious enjoys her time outside.
She's such a cute pig! :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.