Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Grow Your Own What are some good plants to grow?

Xyzpdq0121

Cavy Slave
I use one "clip" per side... holds just fine..

PopcorningPigs

Cavy Slave
I love the piggie garden area!! Thank you for sharing, I'm definately going to have to make a little enclosure for them like that! Neat idea! :)

CavieGuy

Cavy Slave
My piggies have their own garden run with Mint, Cilantro, and Basil.. The grass is Bermuda and Wheatgrass:

View attachment 74259

In my "human" garden, I plant extra purple basil, green basil, sage, cilantro, tomatoes, cucumbers, squash and zucchini. A bunch of that does into their food bowl as well. As a side threat, I always have a container of "catgrass"/Wheatgrass growing to pop in their cage and let them mow through but you can often find container of this at an asian or farmers market for cheap too.

I did something similar

I love the piggie garden area!! Thank you for sharing, I'm definately going to have to make a little enclosure for them like that! Neat idea! :)

This is my piggie patch for my herd... I have to trim my basil plants, it is creating canopy so that you can't see the piggies anymore.

[video]https://youtu.be/fB76ltJWb08[/video]

Easefirst

Cavy Slave
Your piggies are very lucky. :)

PopcorningPigs

Cavy Slave
I did something similar

This is my piggie patch for my herd... I have to trim my basil plants, it is creating canopy so that you can't see the piggies anymore.

[video]https://youtu.be/fB76ltJWb08[/video]
That is amazing!!! My girls would quickly get stomachs aches!! Lol!!! I honestly think it would take me forever to catch them, they wouldn't want to leave!

Easefirst

Cavy Slave
Do you use your used wood pellets and piggie manure in the garden? They make wonderful fertilizer.

Cavyqueen215

Cavy Slave
I grow a garden for my guinea pigs and rabbits :) my favourites to grow are romaine lettuse, kale, leaf lettuse, Italian parsley, dill, bell pepper, cucumber, tomatoe, and carrots. Good luck :)

frNzR4evr

Cavy Slave

frNzR4evr

Cavy Slave
@cavyguy (broken link removed) LOVE your video with the 6 Wheeekers eating in the garden! so you presumably have soil under there for the plants to grow in, I can't quite tell what they are walking on. It's clearly outdoors, so any paper or shavings would get soaked & useless, it's not hay... what?

CavieGuy

Cavy Slave
@cavyguy (broken link removed) LOVE your video with the 6 Wheeekers eating in the garden! so you presumably have soil under there for the plants to grow in, I can't quite tell what they are walking on. It's clearly outdoors, so any paper or shavings would get soaked & useless, it's not hay... what?
It is a raise bed with organic soil, the tan brown stuff you see is my used wood pellets that I use as mulch so I don't have to water much

PopcorningPigs

Cavy Slave
How did your Timothy Hay growing turn out for you?
well, I didn't get the seeds on time so I didn't plant any because I think it might be a bit late now..... So I guess that will just have to be next years project!! lol

Easefirst

Cavy Slave
well, I didn't get the seeds on time so I didn't plant any because I think it might be a bit late now..... So I guess that will just have to be next years project!! lol
Grass grows really quickly. And young grass is much more nutritious than older one. I would say do it anyway.

frNzR4evr

Cavy Slave
I wholeheartedly agree! I just left a border of grass unmowed around the mound of birdseed that drops on the ground below my feeders, and now I "harvest" a section at a time by cutting it short with scissors. By the time I get around to that section, it has grown back high enough for another decent cut

In my gardens, I came across a grass that is much darker green, with much thicker longer leaves, that grows a tall "stalk" ending in a seed pod resembling wheat's

My wheekers didn't enjoy the leaves of my wide-leafed plantain, so I tried the single skinny seed stalk that grows up the centre of them ~ they love it !

They don't like strawberries, but they'll gladly eat the leaves;

Dandelions ~ all three like the leaves & the milky stems, but only one likes the flowers, none of them eat the roots

I have plenty of white clover all over my yard, so that's the next "treat" I will offer them

Keep in mind they should eat at least 70% Hay (Timothy is best), no more than 20% pellets (I think mine would eat 100% "kibble", as I call it, but I think weight gain is the reason it's not recommended), and their greens & fruits & carrots shouldn't make up more than 10%

One day I got too zealous with the greens, and the wheekers paid the price. For the next day & a half, their poops were soft & squishy, so they were getting it between their toes, and they just generally didn't feel well, slept more than usual and hardly ate... RESIST the urge

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Actually, the recommendations are 85% hay, about 10%-12% veggies, and the rest pellets. They should have no more than 1/8 cup of pellets per pig per day.

frNzR4evr

Cavy Slave
I sit corrected... please explain why the pellets must be so restricted

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.