Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Things to put under fleece

camicam

Cavy Slave
hello! I am using fleece, but I am unsure on what to use under it to soak up the urine. I am using puppy pads but it really isn't helping much. So I might need something else to put under the fleece! need help please ASAP!

MUCH LOVE CAMICAM

Towels!!!!!!! They work great!!!

Towels do work pretty well. I get some second hand towels from thrift/secondhand stores. You can often find them at garage sales, too.

You can also use newspaper sheets.

Puppy pads usually work pretty well. Is the liquid wicking through the fleece properly? How often are you changing the puppy pads and fleece?

Uhaul pads, cotton batting, cotton mattress pads, towels. Go to thrift stores, Goodwill or check on Freecycle to get them cheap. Anything made from cotton will work.

Towels do work pretty well. I get some second hand towels from thrift/secondhand stores. You can often find them at garage sales, too.

You can also use newspaper sheets.

Puppy pads usually work pretty well. Is the liquid wicking through the fleece properly? How often are you changing the puppy pads and fleece?

I have no idea if it is wicked, but I washed it three times before using it and never use downy. I change the puppy pads and fleece every 3 days

do a test, pour a few drops of water on the fleece and see if it goes through immediately, or if the water just beads up and stays there. if you have to push in the water, then it's not wicking properly. :)

some detergents already have softener included in them which may prevent the fleece from wicking.

is your puppy pad the re-usable kind? if it is, you might want to keep it as a base layer and put a towel or two on top. if not, might as well try something else like uhaul :) personally i use two folded towels for extra layers, and it does a good job :)

do a test, pour a few drops of water on the fleece and see if it goes through immediately, or if the water just beads up and stays there. if you have to push in the water, then it's not wicking properly.

what kind of detergent do you use

I've never had a problem with my pee pads soaking through. I use the Nature's Miracle ones and kind of fold it so that there is a little more pee pad along the edges since I have piggies that pee on the edges. I'm looking into switching to washable bed pads or even whelping pads since they'd probably be cheaper in the long run. I'm probably going to go with the whelping pads because they look like they'd provide a little more cushioning for the piggies.

I use whatever I have on hand from my mish mash of piggie stuff :) towels, uhaul pads, mattress pads (twin/single size fits perfectly in my 2x5 which makes me super happy) Also, I've noticed that having a place with some bedding in it really keeps smells down a lot for me! I usually just flip over a hut or something...nothing complicated :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.