Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Piggie lettuce

adeline13

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Is it ok to feed my guinea pig a baby spring mix salad I was just courious thanks

Guineapigpro

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Maybe for special occasions. From what I recall, some of the lettuces contain lots of calcium.

Artista

Cavy Slave
How old is your pig? Spring mix salads tend to have dandelion leaves and other leaves that are high in calcium, and shouldn't be fed daily to 6 mo and older.

adeline13

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
How old is your pig? Spring mix salads tend to have dandelion leaves and other leaves that are high in calcium, and shouldn't be fed daily to 6 mo and older.
oh I didn't know that I have 6 under 6months and 3 over I've been giving them a cup daily for a while-ish now could it cause health problems and what are they if so

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
Take a look at the ingredients and compare the lettuces with this chart: https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...vy-Nutrition-Charts-amp-Poisonous-Plants-List. The chart indicates how often you can feed each type of lettuce. The risk of feeding a mix every day is that if the mix has many of the higher calcium greens like spinach, kale, dandelion, etc. then you run the risk of your pigs developing bladder stones from the excess of calcium in their diet. Calcium is necessary for good health, but the dark leafy greens should be limited to an every other day frequency to avoid an excess.

I would try to move away from the mix if possible. Refer to that chart for the different types of vegetables a guinea pig can eat and how often. I usually try to feed each of my guinea pigs one leaf of lettuce (romaine, red leaf or green leaf -- it's different every day), a 1/8 of a bell pepper (red, yellow or green), and maybe 20 sprigs of cilantro each day. Then I add another type of vegetable I have on hand. Maybe a tomato, a slice of cucumber, a bit of parsley, a baby carrot, a bit of kale, a leaf of escarole or endive, etc. Try to feed a wide variety of vegetables without feeding dark leafy greens too frequently.

adeline13

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Here's a picture of the ingredients sorry the quality is bad

Attachments

image.jpg

adeline13

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Take a look at the ingredients and compare the lettuces with this chart: https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...vy-Nutrition-Charts-amp-Poisonous-Plants-List. The chart indicates how often you can feed each type of lettuce. The risk of feeding a mix every day is that if the mix has many of the higher calcium greens like spinach, kale, dandelion, etc. then you run the risk of your pigs developing bladder stones from the excess of calcium in their diet. Calcium is necessary for good health, but the dark leafy greens should be limited to an every other day frequency to avoid an excess.

I would try to move away from the mix if possible. Refer to that chart for the different types of vegetables a guinea pig can eat and how often. I usually try to feed each of my guinea pigs one leaf of lettuce (romaine, red leaf or green leaf -- it's different every day), a 1/8 of a bell pepper (red, yellow or green), and maybe 20 sprigs of cilantro each day. Then I add another type of vegetable I have on hand. Maybe a tomato, a slice of cucumber, a bit of parsley, a baby carrot, a bit of kale, a leaf of escarole or endive, etc. Try to feed a wide variety of vegetables without feeding dark leafy greens too frequently.
Oh no most of the ingredients in the mix aren't on the chart I feel like that's bad

Artista

Cavy Slave
To be safe, if it isn't on the chart, I wouldn't risk it. You can buy the appropriate stuff separately and make a veggie plate for the young ones and one for the older ones-- and separate them while eating veggies.

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
Many of those ingredients are on the chart. The things that are OK are red leaf, green leaf, romaine and radicchio. Those can be fed more regularly. The ones that need to be limited are the lo.lla rosa, tango, arugula, frisee, tatsoi, chard, mustard, beet tops, and spinach. Since the mix has a lot of vegetables that should be limited, I would say that you need to stop using it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.