Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Cuddles and Buttercup's Newly Remodeled Cage !

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
What I really like most, about these mini pet pillows, is that they are machine washable ! I also like that they are made really well too, seem very durable, and highly unlikely that they could tear or pull anything off of them.

The girls love them, and started using the ones ( the monkey and turtle) in their bunk beds right away that evening ! Yahoooo ! :)

Thank you so much everyone for your kind words, so glad you liked their new home ! Your comments really really meant a lot to me,❤️ thanks guys....

zaylea

Cavy Slave
What I really like most, about these mini pet pillows, is that they are machine washable ! I also like that they are made really well too, seem very durable, and highly unlikely that they could tear or pull anything off of them.

I was wondering about that! Are they still nice and plushy after you wash them?

RubyRain

Cavy Slave
THAT is one awesome cage! Great job!

CLV71

Cavy Slave
OMG your cage is amazing. I love it.

SurfingPigs

Cavy Slave
What a showoff! ;)

Seriously... outstanding job! The pillow pet things are a great idea, I love them. Thanks for giving your pigs such a paradise, they are truly lucky to have such a dedicated mom.

I also like your bunk bed design... different from what I use and it looks very cozy!

Mrs_Ames

Cavy Slave
This is fantastic!!

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
I was wondering about that! Are they still nice and plushy after you wash them?

I haven't washed these miniature ones yet, but my daughter has had the large dolphin pillow pet for 3 years now, and we have washed it many, many times and it has held up perfectly ! They are 100% polyester cover and filling, and are made of high quality super soft Chenille.

go_ellie
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

KiwiCavyAdorer

Cavy Slave
❤️ Its Beautiful Kathlaaron!! and I didn't want your video to end!! It was so sweet to see them investigating their "Aaron Town"...

What a lovely job you've done, it must have brought you many hours of serious pleasure, and it will undoubtedly give them many hours of serious pleasure in turn.... like a pendulum really :love:

KiwiCavyAdorer

Cavy Slave
@ Zaylea,

Maximus von Lichtenwalder came with a sheep pillow pet, I have washed it every few days or every week for 5 months and it's still perfect - I spot clean it when I can.

He adores his sheep and gets cross in the hot weather when he has to move around on it to keep cooler, but in the cooler weather he sleeps there like he is in heaven itself lol or an embedded rock and doesn't move for hours on end.

Kieri

Cavy Slave
the barn is such a great idea! it's cute and creative and it'll help keep the rest of the cage clean. :) i just may snag this idea from you when i revamp my pigs' cage this january, if that is okay!?

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
:) i just may snag this idea from you when i revamp my pigs' cage this january, if that is okay!?

Of course it is okay !:cool:

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
it must have brought you many hours of serious pleasure,

Many many years ago, when my body was healthy and vigorous, It really would have been a lot of fun for me, to do a project like this...but honestly, since I suffer with daily chronic pain ( fibromyalgia) among other health issues, I found this task to be incredibly difficult. That's why it took me so long to finish. ( a whole month !)

It took so much out of me, that I have been sleeping a TON, the last several days. I was not even able to "cook" meals for my family, which has been very tough on my husband,(he's not the domesticated type) plus they love my cooking. I am very proud to say though, that I did it ALL by myself.:cool: I had to add 30 plus grids for the bottom, to make it more stable and secure as well. So it truly was, a "labour of love" for my :love:piggie queens. :love:

P.S. I didn't even know if I would have the courage to show everyone, and almost didn't...and the video we were going to share with just family members all whom live very far away. :sad:

grace&piggies

Cavy Slave
Love the pillows! Are they machine washable? I want some!

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
I am so glad you decided to share the video with us, because it was awesome!!! You've given us all tons of new ideas that we are now going to have to spend hours and hours redesigning our cages:crazy:, you know how we are!

C. Cole-Chakotay

Cavy Slave
What a lovely cage for your pigs. :D

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
What a lovely cage for your pigs. :D

Hi Isabel !! It has been so long since we have talked, so so good to hear from you my friend:heart:, and I am so glad you like their newly remodelled cage !:cool:

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
Kathlaaron.......it's people like you who keep deterring me from finishing Chester's new cage! :confused: I see all these great designs and then decide I should revise mine.

Outstanding creative piece of work! But, it must take forever to clean it with the supports and the unusual configuration? Yes, I saw you place the girls in the cage in the video, but were they allowed to stay there? Or did you decide that it was too pretty to permit them to soil it? :mischievo

I'm considering bunk beds as well......are yours a bent grid or a half grid?

What lucky girls!

lol Sorry about that ! Heeheee..Trust me, if I was younger, or in better health, I would be tempted to keep making "alterations" to my girls cage, too ! I would also be making fun buildings and such out of "safe" untreated, wood !

I have made them "cardboard houses with windows, doors, curtains, bed pillows which they loved (fought over if I didn't remember to make "two new special" items) and enjoyed, before, but would LOVE to get much more creative than that... and make more permanent multi-purpose toys/houses ect ! Someday...

Consequences. Life. I should have taken much better care of myself, than I did, and now..my body has fallen apart. Funny, you know ? About 7 or 8 years ago I found some great used bedroom furniture pieces for my teenage son, and totally re-finished a dresser, an adult office desk & chair, and a headboard, for him during a very hot and humid weekend during the summer......in our garage. For the first time. I could never do something like that now.

On your second point...cleaning. Well, I haven't cleaned their cage yet, plan to on Sunday or Monday, so I shall let you know if the cleaning is more difficult or laborious, but I don't think it will be. On the far end where their barn is, I use puppy pads and carefresh underneath piles of hay and we changed that out tonight very easily !

The middle part where the supports are, well they can easily be taken off, for there is two bent grids supporting the long, forest tunnel bridge tied to the cage with a lot of strong cable ties. The poles ( made out of coroplast) are just added support for the bridge and are a firm tight fit underneath. The two ramps on either side are also made with coroplast with wires going up through the holes in the coro to connect "all three pieces" of the ramp together, and be able to bend and form it, to make the sides strong and firm. I didn't have binder edging so I used sticky back white felt to cover the sides of the ramps to prevent curious chewing. ( Plan to order some from the guinea pig zone ) My girls are "chewers".

I just zip tied two whole grids, 5 3/4 in. off the ground ( or 4th grid square bottom up) to make like two horizontal "cubes". I made 2 coroplast "cubes" to put on top of the grids. ( Makes for easy clean-up & gives indiv. piggie queen privacylol) I used the correct width and length of coropast ( like a strip) around the bottom too, so I wouldn't have to clean under there, given piggies love dark places to hide out ! Then I used a cuddly blanket with one layer of u-haul blanket for each bottom, with a turtle or monkey mini pet pillow on top of that, for their "bed" !

Also, the ramps I just vacuum up ! ( I used a heavy door mat that I cut and velcroed to the bottom, and vinyl/duct taped the creases to keep it waterproof).

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
If your not clear on what I mean when I say coroplast "cubes" ( their private bunk beds) I can take a picture of them for you tomorrow, no problem ! :cool: ( Outside the cage, without any blanket or mini pillow pet bed) Sometimes it's hard to explain things through a computer screen, you know ?

mickey1007

Cavy Slave
I love your cage!! Actually, it's more of a "habitat" since they probably don't feel like they are caged in there with all that space!!

If you don't mind, I have two questions:

1) Were you able to take pics of the bunk beds without the blankets or pillows? I would like to see that.
2) For your "barn" I see that you don't have any hay racks. What are you using under the hay? Are you layering something under the hay to absorb the pee?

Thank you!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.