Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Difficult piggie?

Lacee979

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure, but I think I have a difficult piggie. He just hates being handled or touched. I'm afraid of traumatizing him but sometimes I need to pick him up. Any suggestions to make this easier on us both?

Levenn

Cavy Slave
How long have you had the piggie? How old is it? How are you approaching the piggie when you pick it up?

My piggies are new to me and they run, its normal. They are prey animals so they have the instinct to run away.. I suggest when picking the piggie up, use the towel trick. What I do is drape a towel over my chest and hold my piggies to my chest and drape the towel over them so they feel like they are burrowed, and makes them less scared.

Lacee979

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure how old Ziggy is but I'd say he's less than 6 months old. I've had him for a little over 3 months now. His cage sits on top of an old kitchen table so I have to reach down into it to get him. I do the towel trick when I've already caught him but it's the catching him that's the problem.

Varcoda

Cavy Slave
just about all piggies run away when its time to be picked up i think XD

what helped initially was having a little fleece sack. let them run into it and think they're safe then you laugh evilly while you pick the whole sack with them in it up! hohohohohoho.....

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Some pigs are not into being handled at all. @Varcoda is right. Times when I can't get my girl out I take out all hideys but her fleece sack. Then I just scoop her out.

chas25

Cavy Slave
My boyfriend LOVES the sacks because its just about the only way he can get any of our piggies, though I can usually get all but one of them without the sack. Like others have said I think part of it is the piggy cause two of ours are fairly easy to catch but the other two are more difficult.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.