Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Australia Bedding

oldnewie

Cavy Slave
Has anyone used any of the following cat litters (lstated as suitable for small animals) for their guinea pig bedding/litter?

Back 2 Nature

The All Natural Company

Both are made in Australia.

If any of you have, what did you think of them? Both have good reviews, are supposed to keep piggies clean & dry because they are supposed to draw liquid in fast & stay dry on top. I like the sound of them (we can get the All Natural Company one at Countdown, not sure about the Back 2 Nature, although I see it's made from the same company that make Breeder Celect).

Would appreciate any feedback. Thanks

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Back to Nature looks safe to use. But I've only seen folks use paper pellet bedding in litter or kitchen trays. If used for the whole cage, it maybe best to use with another type of bedding.

The All Natural Company, I have no idea what that litter is made of. I looked on their website and they just say it is made of an all natural mineral. But what mineral?? lol

oldnewie

Cavy Slave
Back to Nature looks safe to use. But I've only seen folks use paper pellet bedding in litter or kitchen trays. If used for the whole cage, it maybe best to use with another type of bedding.

The All Natural Company, I have no idea what that litter is made of. I looked on their website and they just say it is made of an all natural mineral. But what mineral?? lol

It's made from vermiculite, it looks on the bag sort of like paper pellets but softer. Good odour control & absorbency, no chemicals or additives, eco-friendly. Can't remember what else it says on the bag. I'm thinking of either laying it on half the cage where the girls spend most of their time, or putting it in a corner plastic tray (or something) where they sleep.
I'm looking for viable alternatives to uhauls as the absorbent underlayer, as I'm a bit tired of all the washing (yeah, getting lazier). I think Carefresh is too expensive over here & the Aspen shavings are too.

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
Interesting, over here wood shavings are the cheapest type of bedding.

I don't remember who it was, but someone used pine pellets with fleece on top.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
@MrWhistles thats bpatters that does that :) It's a pretty good idea too, ultra absorbency with a soft walking surface. I've been thinking about trying it out myself.

Paper pellets are great for a small area like a litter tray, I use them in mine, but I can't see them working in a larger area personally. I've found you need a pretty thick layer of them.

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
I thought it was bpatters, but I wasn't entirely sure. TY

mattfemia

Cavy Gazer
My favorite litter is from Petco's Planet Petco line. It is a reasonable cost and is superb at controlling odor.

I use a combination of fleece over most of the cage with a litter box on both levels. I tried both wood and paper pellets and my cavies didn't like them......and neither did I. One really has to experiment to see what works best for your situation.

As an FYI, fleece just won't work in a small cage. It will begin to smell very quickly and you will come to the conclusion that it doesn't work. Wait until you have a large cage to move to fleece.

Out of curiosity, how big of a cage do you need for fleece to be an effective option for bedding?

Thanks.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.