Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Loss Three of my Guinea pigs died today

Pomegranate

Cavy Slave
This morning I had five pigs. I now have two.

I put them out as usual on the lawn, it is quite suddenly very hot in the UK. It is hot in the room where they live, so they had to go out this morning. I put there small house in their outside run, and I rested their large box (stack and store I use to carry them all from house to garden and back) next to the cage and it shaded half of the cage.

For the next few hours, I was in and out of the garden, I was doing small jobs, watering, planting etc. I realised they were very hot, they were all spreading out their bodies. I didn't have any frozen bottles for them, as I regularly did last summer, so I put 7 in the freezer, thinking even if they got slightly cold, I can give them to the pigs to lay against.

I had my lunch and I went to check the bottles. I saw I had some frozen fruit pieces, I put some in a bowl for the pigs and took them to them.

I saw two of them were dead, i knew straight away. The two youngest were running around, startled as they're still nervous of me. My eldest was laying, sleepy looking, I grabbed her first, i ran inside with her, she was limp, her eyes open, not blinking. I rinsed her face and lay her down in the sink. I didn't know whether she was alive or dead but I knew the youngest ones were still alive so I raced outside to get them. I hurriedly put the other two dead pigs in with them, I wasn't even crying at this point, I was in utter shock. I kept saying 'what the hell what the hell'.

I put the two dead pigs in the sink, they were definitely dead, i have had so many pigs, seen so many dead, i knew they were gone - I picked up my unresponsive eldest pig and I rubbed her tummy over and over, I desperately begged her to wake up and the tears came. I realized my two beautiful pigs were dead and I was losing hope for my eldest one. My husband came home about ten minutes later and I was still trying to revive her. He helped me put the two that were dead in a box for burial but I couldn't bear to put my eldest pig in, so desperate for her to 'wake up'. She had no heartbeat and she wasn't breathing, my husband took my hand and said 'she is gone'.

My beautiful piggies. I cannot believe it, I have cried all afternoon and at one point I just stopped. I swept the poo from their fleece and I put the two young guineas, who had been patiently waiting in the kitchen, back into their cage. It is empty without my pigs.

I feel a fool, I have taken away my Guinea's lives so needlessly. I have had pigs for over a decade and I have never ever lost them to something like this. I am not writing this as a 'beware of the sun and pigs' because I know so many of the members on here are 100% clued up on Guineas, I am just writing it to say, i have lost my poor pigs in a shocking and preventable way. I expect I may get a lot of anger in response, I am angry at myself. If I could go back and cuddle my beautiful pigs...I can only wish.

I realise, with hindsight, I should have realised they were struggling with the heat. I should have realised, but I thought they'd be as okay as they were in the garden last year the year before, and as okay as my previous pigs always were in the summer. I learnt a terrible lesson. To lose one would have been a tragedy, to lose three is a nightmare. My poor guinea pigs. I am heartbroken.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm sorry you lost them. But for future reference, guinea pigs are extremely susceptible to heat stroke, and 29 degrees centigrade is at the very upper limit of what they can tolerate without dying. They really shouldn't even be allowed to get that hot.

BaconAndEggs

Cavy Slave
I agree with the above.

I'm very sorry you lost your pigs. I wish well to you and your other two.

"Losing a pet is like losing a family member-because that's exactly what happened."

80s_piggies

Cavy Slave
I am so very sorry for you and your piggies :(

cavycrazy1107

Cavy Gazer
I'm sorry for your loss. I wish I could say more, to help you feel better, but I'm horrible at comforting people. At least now you can be prepared for next time and maybe you can rescue more piggies, giving them a happy, healthy, better life. If you want to talk about it with me, or tell me stories of the now deceased then you are more then welcome to. I know talking can help with a loss. Don't beat yourself up about it. I know you could've prevented it, but that's in the past and there's nothing you can do except move on and maybe do something to honor them. A great thing you could do is go on this link https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/107916-Let-me-draw-your-guinea-pigs! . You can get a drawing of you piggies and put the drawing up near your cage or somewhere else special. Don't feel bad, remember all the good times instead.

poop_patrol

Cavy Slave
You made a mistake and lost 3 pigs. Perhaps by writing this story you will prevent others from losing their pigs.

I hope that gives some consolation.

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
I am so sorry for your loss. Thank you for posting so others can see that heatstroke happens so easily. Maybe they will know ahead of time and not risk it.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Do you not have air conditioning in the UK?

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry, I am sorry for your loss. I just do not understand, how in this day and age, for a major country, you do not have air conditioning.

SquigglyPigs

Cavy Slave
It's not as popular to have air conditioning in houses in the UK than in the US. They don't get as extreme hot temperatures as we do. So it's both a difference in climate and customs.

I'm very sorry for the loss of your three piggies.

EHollins

Cavy Gazer
How terrible, I am so sorry for your losses!

As a newbie to the world of cavy care, thank you for sharing your heartbreaking story.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
It's not as popular to have air conditioning in houses in the UK than in the US. They don't get as extreme hot temperatures as we do. So it's both a difference in climate and customs.

I'm very sorry for the loss of your three piggies.

I did not know that, her post mentioned having the frozen water bottles last year. I just figured the summers were hot too.

SquigglyPigs

Cavy Slave
I did not know that, her post mentioned having the frozen water bottles last year. I just figured the summers were hot too.

Yeah, I'm not sure how hot their summers are because I have never been there. I met a couple of people from the UK recently and they said that air conditioning in homes is more rare than the US. Must be a cultural difference.

Fay

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry for your loss! I can't even imagine what you're going through to lose so much over a mistake....

As for AC, virtually nobody has air conditioning in the more central-northern countries in Europe. Unless you're rich or went out of your way to install it you won't find AC in most homes. AC just isn't standard practice because it doesn't make economical sense as it rarely gets that hot.

Around 30c is uncommon, perhaps a couple of days in the summer at best. Central Europe is not set up for hot weather conditions because it's usually mild throughout most of the year.

Unfortunately it also means there are more deaths during very hot days for both humans and pets alike. It's just not something you really think about adequately preparing for and without AC you can't escape the heat except for going for a swim or buying a regular fan.

Plus, people just don't see the point of buying expensive AC for just a couple of days in the year. You can see the temperature averages on this graph:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_the_United_Kingdom#England

(I'm from the Netherlands but also lived in the UK for several years, neither countries had AC as a standard thing)

Last edited:

MrsATeaches5th

Cavy Slave
So terribly sorry. I realise your post was not meant to be a PSA about piggies and heatstroke - but it is. And maybe your post will save other piggies lives. Thank you for being brave to share your story with us and just know that you still have two piggies who will need your love and comfort more than ever now. Stay strong.

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
My heart goes out to you. I'm so sorry for your loss. That sort of thing is my nightmare, as I live in Florida and we're having a viciously hot summer this year. We have A/C but it can go out. It actually did go out for a few days last year, but I used frozen water bottles in the case and had an alternative arrangement to bring the girls to a friend's air conditioned house if necessary. I can't even imagine how shocking and horrible this has to be for you.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
My heart goes out to you. I'm so sorry for your loss. That sort of thing is my nightmare, as I live in Florida and we're having a viciously hot summer this year. We have A/C but it can go out. It actually did go out for a few days last year, but I used frozen water bottles in the case and had an alternative arrangement to bring the girls to a friend's air conditioned house if necessary. I can't even imagine how shocking and horrible this has to be for you.

Maryland has pretty hot humid summers too. When I was working I always put ice packs on the tunnels before leaving as a just encase. Being on a 3rd floor apartment, it get very hot very quick up here.

Lagertha

Cavy Slave
I am so sorry for your loss :( I'm glad that 2 of your piggies are still with you though!
I live in California and just today it was 110 degrees Fahrenheit, IN THE SHADE. It was close to 120 in direct sunlight.
I left my AC running (turned off at 83 degrees Fahrenheit) and left frozen bottles in each of the cages when I left for work.

justineelsworth

Cavy Gazer
Thank you for your post. So so sorry about your piggies. You must be devestated. this heat is definitely not normal for us. I was not aware of the heat stroke thing in piggies. You have made me aware for my piggies today, (due to be the hottest day on record in July in. UK), so for that, thank you. Rip piggies.

Pomegranate

Cavy Slave
Thank you all so much for responding to my post.

I miss my pigs so much, I woke thinking about them, and knowing I'd have to go downstairs without them running to see me...it was awful. I'm struggling to get my head around the fact they are gone, just like that it seems.

This morning I checked my freezer and saw the bottles were all frozen, and I cried. Today I'm struggling with the 'if only I had done this, if only I had done that'.

I have brought my two little pigs into the kitchen for this morning, it is the coolest room and now they have the ice bottles too. Seeing them is both a happy reminder that thank heavens they are alive, but a sad reminder that there should be more pigs with them.

In response to the AC question, as a few people already said, it's very rare to have them here in the UK. I've never actually known anybody that has had one in their house. I just know them as being in hotel rooms.

I have learnt a really really horrible lesson from experiencing this, but I am glad that it at least shows how serious it can be having guineas in hot temperatures and if that means other people are cautious of it, then that means more safe pigs, and that is something good that I will think about.

:love:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.