Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury My guinea pig's Eye injury Need feed back/ advice for my guinea pig please!

Lancene

Cavy Gazer
Hello I have a guinea pig who scratched his eyeball while cleaning himself. I went to the vet and they gave him antibiotics. His eye is getting bigger. The vet said if it gets any bigger he recommends putting to sleep. He is eating active squeaking. We are crushed. Do we not have any other option. My friend has had a one-eyed guinea pig for years. I just want to know that is the last resort. I heard it so fast. Should I get another opinion? I am sad and still in shock. I have been doing exactly what the vet said . He said his eye could burst possibly It has gotten a little bigger. But it has only been 2 days. He said if it does burst overnight bring him in and they would put him to sleep. So dang fast? Is that it? ? I don't want him to suffer obviously. I have had almost a year. Any feedback or suggestions please😢😢😢I want to know that is last resort.

emilym

Cavy Slave
I would get a second opinion. What antibiotics did he get? How swollen is the eye? Did your vet mention why he didn't think surgically removing the eye was an option?

Here's some info about eye injuries and recovering after an eye removal that might help: https://www.guinealynx.info/records/viewtopic.php?p=158#158

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
New vet. Quick. It's undoubtedly very painful, and it's also very serious. Pigs do very well even if an eye has to be removed, and unless there's an infection that has progressed too far to treat or there's something malignant going on, he should be fine.

Be sure it's an exotic vet rather than just a small animal vet, otherwise you'll just be wasting more time and money. Good luck with him, and keep us posted.

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
Get another vet!

The vet should have given you antibiotic eye drops. He should also talk to you about removing the eye should it burst or because it's so infected.

I had a rabbit in the past who's eye did burst despite treatment and the vet removed the eye. My rabbit lived a full rabbit life span with one eye.

My guinea pig Eddy had a eye injury. My vet prescribed antibiotic eye drops. The eye got bigger and I swear it was going to burst but it didn't and now he's fine. My vet was also willing to do an enucleation (eye removal) should things go south.

Lancene

Cavy Gazer
Get another vet!

The vet should have given you antibiotic eye drops. He should also talk to you about removing the eye should it burst or because it's so infected.

I had a rabbit in the past who's eye did burst despite treatment and the vet removed the eye. My rabbit lived a full rabbit life span with one eye.

My guinea pig Eddy had a eye injury. My vet prescribed antibiotic eye drops. The eye got bigger and I swear it was going to burst but it didn't and now he's fine. My vet was also willing to do an enucleation (eye removal) should things go south.

Lancene

Cavy Gazer
I did find another vet making appointment today. His eye has not gotten bigger thank GOD. Thank you for the feedback it is soooooo appreciated really. He was given baytril suspension twice a day.and ciprofloxacin topical application.
Twice daily.
Any idea of eye removal pricing if it does come to that??
thank you soooooooo much.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You'll have to ask the vet about the cost. Vet charges vary very widely across the country, and even in the same city.

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
The vet that did my rabbit charged me 100 dollars (15 years ago) the vet that looked at my guinea pig wanted 500 (2 years ago).

Agrimony

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I hope your piggies eye continues to improve! I have a guinea pig with one eye, the removal cost me about $900 but I had to put down a deposit of $1200. Another vet in the area quoted me $700.

Lancene

Cavy Gazer
Thank you again for all the helpful feedback I really truly appreciate it. I did get another opinion. They were more hopeful than the other vet . His eye has not gotten bigger thank GOD. The red color part of his eye is going away. I am keeping an close eye on him day and night. He was popcorn jumping tonight.
Please keep patches in your prayers thank you :)

Rywen

Cavy Slave
I hope his eye gets better soon, be healthy little Patches!

Lancene

Cavy Gazer
Thank you ☺️������

Lancene

Cavy Gazer
Good morning :) I just wanted to update patches. He eye went down and the scab on his eyeball fell off. I hope and pray that is normal it seems to be. After the scab fell off his eyeball shows where he scratched it. It is red a little but normal eye size. Does anyone have any feedback does this seem normal? He is eating ,popcorning active as normal. I am still doing the meds. Gosh having a pet is a whole new world especially furry cuddly guinea pigs :D thank y ou again for your helpful feedback it gave me peace of mind that I am all I can for him after the vet suggesting put him to sleep so quick ! Many feedback or advice I appreciate I am taking him for a follow up next week.
thank you mucho! Lane

Rywen

Cavy Slave
I'm really glad his eye is getting better!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.