Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introducting myself

peytonschip

Cavy Slave
Hi, I just adopted a new friend for my daughter. Chip our new pig is about 2yrs old, and now gotten use to us. I have been reading some of the questions and answers about using fleece vs felt, I like the idea of fleece oposed to shavings, it gets quite messy. I was wondering can we put toys in his cage to play with, I have put some caves from cardboard box and a plastic jug that he can play in, but I was wondering about what type of toys do they like to play with that is safe. Has anyone used the harness' and outfits on there baby, my 8yr old is dying to put him in an outfit and harness and I wasn't sure how they react to it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Sincerely,
Rita (Peyton's Mom)

Colorado Cavies

Cavy Slave
Harnesses are not safe for guinea pigs. If I remember correctly it can hurt their spine.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
Hello and welcome to GPC!

I'm so happy to hear you've adopted a piggy, he sounds very sweet. I would advise no about the harness, they can cause more damage then anything else, their little bodies are so fragile. People do little photo shoots with their piggies dressed up all the time, but I don't think piggies get left in their clothes, I would be worried that something would happen without supervision. There are lots of great ideas on the forum regarding toys or entertainment. Pigs love hay stuffed into a paper bag, toilet paper rolls cut down the center so they don't accidentally get stuck are also cheap entertainment. Search around some more and feel free to ask questions if you're confused or need clarification, we're all pretty friendly and love our piggies.

Aleks

Cavy Slave
Harnesses are not safe for guinea pigs. If I remember correctly it can hurt their spine.

That's good to know! I had bought a harness for George, but only tried putting it on him once and he didn't like it. I figured since they were selling them specifically for GPs that they were safe. I'm glad that I know better now.

briannarose

Cavy Slave
Welcome! :)
Piggies are very easily entertained so something very simple like a paper towel roll stuffed with hay they would enjoy.
Fleece forests are also lots of fun you can see how to make them here https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/hot-tips/67935-easy-fleece-forest.html
As far as harnesses they're not safe for pigs even though pet stores sell them they shouldn't be used.
I've seen a couple pictures of pigs in outfits on this site, I'd think that would be fine, someone correct me if I'm wrong :D. Also if you have a c&c cage, bent grids make a wonderful little tunnel for them.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
I figured since they were selling them specifically for GPs that they were safe. I'm glad that I know better now.

The more you cruise around the forum you'll learn a lot of things marketed toward guinea pig care or diet are actually dangerous or not even useful.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.