Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Babies

MamaP

Cavy Slave
Re: Re-Homing Pups --Ok to separate pairs or no?

Thanks for the input. Makes my decision so much easier :)

MamaP

Cavy Slave
Re: Babyproofing cage - ramps

Thanks piggiejinx. They are all doing great so far! I'm in love <3
Not sure how I'm going to give them up. How are yours at 3 weeks? I can imagine it gets crazy keeping up with the cleaning with all the extra piggies.

piggiejinx

Cavy Slave

We are good! We are keeping two boys which makes it easier to send the other two to their new home. :) They are all so big now!

huhney

Cavy Slave

Periwinkle has very cute babies :)

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave

Aww they are so cute.

MamaP

Cavy Slave

Just want to update with some piglet cuteness :) Love these guys so much. We are keeping one of course (orange/white). They are doing great at 1 week old! Thanks to everyone on this forum for advice. It helped a lot to prepare me and keep me calm during the baby watch.

BabiesBabiesBabiesBabiesBabies

Rywen

Cavy Slave

Adorable, it's good to see they like lettuce!

MamaP

Cavy Slave

They'll eat anything I throw their way :) As long as Periwinkle (Mama) is busy eating herself and she doesn't try and take it from them. I guess it's survival of the fittest lol

MamaP

Cavy Slave
When do you re-home the babies?

I know that the males and females need to be separated at 3 weeks of age. Is it ok to send them to their new homes at that time?
Thanks!

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Re: When do you re-home the babies?

For males 3 weeks is fine, but I'd lengthen it to 4/5 weeks for the sows, when they've been naturally weaned from mum. Since the boys have to be force weaned at that age, it doesn't matter, but IMO letting the girls have a bit more nursing time wouldn't be a bad idea :)

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Re: When do you re-home the babies?

The moms wean them around 4 weeks, so it's totally fine to take out the girls at 3 weeks. Most babies aren't getting much nutrition from nursing at that age anyway.

I hope you are making sure that the babies go in pairs, or that the people taking them have another guinea pig. Guinea pigs need companionship of their own species. Can you imagine how scared they would be to suddenly be on their own?

pippypoppy2

Cavy Slave
What beautiful sweet piggies :) I'm in love with them too and I've never even met them! I'm so glad the babies and their mama are all doing so well.

MamaP

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone! @foggycreekcavy, Yes! The babies will be going individually (we are keeping one). However, the homes already have piggies so they will NOT be alone. They are only going to the best homes. C&C cages are being expanded and all pigs placed in the new cages together. I have anxiety about letting them go at al so I made sure that they would only go to Very good responsible pig owners. We are all doing research to have the best possible introductions. New pig Moms are very excited! We are all Moms (to 2 legged kids) as well but i think we are all more excited about the pigs than our kids lol. We talk almost daily and I send them updated photos. People on Facebook think we are nuts :)

MamaP

Cavy Slave
And yet another question....
Babies will be three weeks next week and going to their forever homes. I understand about what to do when introducing them to the new owner's current pigs, however, it was recommended to me that a divider be placed in the cage when they cannot be watched. Makes sense, however, won't that make the pigs territorial to their side of the cage when the divider is removed?

Rywen

Cavy Slave
I would think the cage divider should not be used unless there they are fighting badly enough to draw blood. I know it's worrisome that they are babies but I think that should keep the adults they are paired with from being so territorial. Hopefully someone with a lot more experience than me will speak up.

AmberCalzone

Cavy Slave
What cute babies!

Personally I would not use the dividers. Introductions should be a one time thing... you introduce, and you leave them be! If you introduce, separate, introduce and separate again... the guinea pigs will have to reestablish dominance every single time they're together again. It gets very stressful. Besides, seeing as the babies are so young, introductions should go smoothly... adult guinea pigs make very good nannies (even some boars have earned the name "nanny boar" for the young boys!), and they'll be more likely to accept a baby right in, rather than they if the "intruder" were an adult.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
No to dividers. I only advocate using them with adolescent males who are actively fighting and you intend to have them together again someday. Or maybe not ever put them together, but at least they have companionship through bars.

So no. Babies usually get along very will with their older companions.

MamaP

Cavy Slave
Thank you. That's what I thought. I am just afraid that my one friend will not be home all day. She will be placing the baby with her adult boar and will have time at night and in the morning to watch. Would she know right away if it wasn't going to work? Should I be concerned that the baby will be all alone with the adult boar (who has never had a companion) all day?

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
It's a rare male that will attack a newly weaned baby. As long as there are no houses that the baby could get trapped in (use tunnels, boxes with more than one entrance, etc) and the cage is large enough, there really shouldn't be any problem. Also make sure she has two food dishes and water bottles at different ends of the cage.

MamaP

Cavy Slave
Thank you @foggycreekcavy.
She is building a new C&C cage 2x4 with upper level. They will both be introduced together. I will make sure she doesn't have any hideys with no escape and two of everything
I'll still hold my breath until I know all went well but I feel better. I'm so stressed about this lol I love these little guys.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.