Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Alternatives Custom Acrylic cage

Angela Hoehn

Cavy Slave
I have a c&c cage right now that is 2x6 on the bottoms level for 3 females and 2x2 on an upper level for my 1 blind male who hasn't gotten neutered yet then I was planning on combining but the hay and stuff falling through the grids and the price of coroplast around here I decided to ask my dad to build me a custom cage out of acrylic! He makes custom fish tanks out of acrylic (acrylic creations if you are in the salt water or reef world), he drew it out today and I'm so excited to get it and have it for the pigs so we will be able to see them playing and everything!

It will be the same height as the grids and open top, I'll make sure I post pics when it's finished :)

HollyLeaf

Cavy Slave
Sounds cool, but it wont get very good ventilation. Its going to be like keeping them in a fish tank, which is not usually recommended...

Angela Hoehn

Cavy Slave
It's not gonna be very tall, he ca drill some holes in it for ventilation I've been seeing people making the wooden ones with acrylic fronts figured it wouldn't be much of a difference except for it is gonna be all acrylic

Saylavi

Cavy Slave
If you can have him make the sides more like 8 to 10 inches instead of the full 14 inches, that will help with ventilation a lot. Depending on his patients level you could even have him cut a wavy top or something like that for flavor.

An acrylic cage is OK as long as it isn't too tall and doesn't have a lid, if you need a lid then the lid needs to be made out of shelving or grids

Angela Hoehn

Cavy Slave
Ok I will tell him to make it 8-10 inches tall he could even do engraving in the acrylic but I don't wanna pay for the thicker acrylic lol

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
Eight to ten inches isn't tall enough to keep the pigs inside. Mine can jump out of 14 inch grids. That's why all my cages have tops on them.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Also, just an FYI. It's not going to stay nice and clear looking for long. Urine etches the acrylic. It also scratches very easily. Just know that going in because it's an expensive project. :)

I came up with the whole idea of C&C Cages AFTER I got a quote from Tap Plastics on building a basic cage in acrylic. :)

Angela Hoehn

Cavy Slave
Eight to ten inches isn't tall enough to keep the pigs inside. Mine can jump out of 14 inch grids. That's why all my cages have tops on them.

He does little lips for his fish tanks I wonder if he did 10" and the 1-2" lip around the edge at the top if it would be good.

My pigs will stand/sit up on the hidey huts where they could clearly get out if they wanted to but haven't attempted it

Angela Hoehn

Cavy Slave
Also, just an FYI. It's not going to stay nice and clear looking for long. Urine etches the acrylic. It also scratches very easily. Just know that going in because it's an expensive project. :)

I came up with the whole idea of C&C Cages AFTER I got a quote from Tap Plastics on building a basic cage in acrylic. :)

Good point, I didn't think about the scratches but in all honesty the hay and stuff falling out of the c&c is driving me nuts I think I'd rather deal with some scratched up acrylic

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.