Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fighting Poor Darwin!!...pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.

avengedsoph

Cavy Slave
i am not rehoming my pigs.

lissie

Cavy Slave
What happens when one needs a surgery? It would cost you more than £100.

avengedsoph

Cavy Slave
none of you need to worry about my money issues. i can pay for my pigs. i can get loans for vet bills. the MAIN issue here is that i am sorting the cages out, i can afford vet bills.

i come here for information yet i get told to give away my pigs to random people....no not gonna happen i love them too much.

thanks for all you information but no more is needed in this post.

kittymalone

Cavy Slave
Wow! the girl came to us for help and a lot of you ripped her to shreds! If she didn't care about her pigs, she wouldn't have been here for so long. Seriously? She's the one in charge of their well being and it sounds as though she is fully prepared to deal with things as they happen. Some people do not have the immediate resources available to just run out and get everything they need. It took me a month to get enough grids to make a cage suitable for 2 pigs, not because I didn't care about them but because LIFE HAPPENS. I figured it out and so will she. She's not stupid, guys. She's 17 years old and probably knows that vet care might one day be necassary and that it will be expensive. Cut her a break. I think a lot of people on this forum need to climb down off their high horses and stop judging other people simply because they don't do the same things you do. I have a $500 vet fund saved but, let me tell you, if I need that money for my home or family, I would use it and hope the pigs don't need it. That doesn't mean I'm an irresponsible pig owner, it means that I'm doing the best I can. It is NONE of our business about her finances or what she can and cannot afford to do. Our business is addressing her initial concern. Jeez...heaven forbid we make a mistake and try to correct it.

lucas

Cavy Slave
every one stop saying things to soph she is not going to re home!!!! leave her alone! she is in a stricked house by what i can tell. and you guys need to stop making her stressed she TOLD me that you are making her stressed!!! so take a chill pill and leave her alone!

Cavalicious

Cavy Slave
Again, I think everyone needs to calm down. To everyone freaking out about the rehoming issue: this is merely an option suggested online, not a request and certainly not a command. You are acting as though someone here has the power to remove them from your care.

avengesoph, if the remarks on here upset you, it's only part of a learning experience from being part of a community which includes adults. Adults who are putting the animals ahead of whatever situation you are in, who your parents are and in some ways, even who you are. They would not be part of a responsible community if they did not speak up. There is no need to react as though they are the police; they are trying to educate you. Acting as though everything is fine and you already know what you know only makes everyone more worried. If you are panicked and worried now, I'm sorry, but that's a good thing. It will move you and others in your family to action. I wish your mother could see this thread, read it and understand that she is very responsible for the welfare of your pigs as well, stop arguing the aesthetics of the cage and do the right thing.

In general, it's very, very important - whatever age you are - that everything (cage, finances, etc.) be there BEFORE the pigs are purchased, rescued, whatever. If this could be done 99% of the cases, I imagine we could avoid a lot of these "hindsight is 20/20" issues. Please try not to take everything so personally. But be humble enough to realize that action needs to be taken - not in March, not next week - but now. If that means you need to separate Darwin and put him in his own cage for safety, then so be it. People are trying to help you. They are not here to bully you.

avengedsoph

Cavy Slave
it is getting sorted now there is no need for more information thanks.

Nicholle

Cavy Slave
First off dont worry about everyone else... I know how parents are
My mom was actually just like yours. My mom kept telling me i couldnt get a c&c cage because they look ugly and disorganized. My dad also agreed by saying that he didnt understand why i needed to get them such a big cage. he brought out this suposably large guinea pig cage that had wheels and ramps. I started to tell him that it wasnt big enough and then he said he wouldnt get me a guinea pig if i wouldnt compramise. With both my mom and him telling me it was bad i decided to research.
If our parents wont let us get a C&C cage then we arent going to get one we just have to leave that at that. But what we can do is find a different solution.
My solution was to make a wood and plexiglass cage. I dont know if you have ever heard of that but they are really cool. This is how i got my mom to agree actually because my mom loves window cligies but never has enough windows. So i did some research and found out that window clingies stick it plexiglass. Then for my dad... this was the tough one becuase he told me that he did not want a big cage that was going to look big and gross and weird. So i brought him up a design using non toxic paint and it had flowers and cute girly stuff all over it. I also designed it so that there where cabnet like things under it which i would store all there food and hay in. When i designed it i made it match my room. Then i brought it to my dad and he said yes. In the mean time i got a C&C cage because it could be a while before my dad can make my cage.
Good luck
Oh and not to be mean to anyone else but i think the fact that she came on here for questions is more then most other people do ... And i know you are all going to hate me but my mom refuses to pay any vet. and you know what... You shouldnt care they are our guinea pigs not yours and I am glad Everyone cares so much but when you start to tell people they arent good pet owners to there pets then that crosses the line. Im sure me and her have got it handled.

By the way i also got told i should instently remove my guinea pig from my home because i was a bad parent to my guinea pig.

Last edited:

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
Oh and not to be mean to anyone else but i think the fact that she came on here for questions is more then most other people do ... And i know you are all going to hate me but my mom refuses to pay any vet. and you know what... You shouldnt care they are our guinea pigs not yours and I am glad Everyone cares so much but when you start to tell people they arent good pet owners to there pets then that crosses the line. Im sure me and her have got it handled.

By the way i also got told i should instently remove my guinea pig from my home because i was a bad parent to my guinea pig.

I completely disagree. I WILL care for other's animals when they are at risk, and not cared for properly. If you get more pets than you have room for or are able to care for properly, you are an irresponsible owner. Harsh yes, but the focus will always be on the animals, not the feelings of the owners. (This is not aimed at the OP.)

Do you have a vet fund with your own money? Do you have a plan on how you get your pig there when needed?

Last edited:

avengedsoph

Cavy Slave
Do you have a vet fund with your own money? Do you have a plan on how you get your pig there when needed?

i have said if you read. i have money for vet bills and they are getting a new cage.

i have enough money for vet bills that is no one elses worry but MINE. i am a good owner. i can tell you the real reason why i have 8 pigs but that is no ones business but my own.

I will say it again i spoke to my mums friend and he is going to start building it this weekend and he is going to let me pay for it at the end of march. again no one else's business but my own.

i am a good owner, they get lots of floor time everyday, food, water hay they get everything they need. the cage issue will be sorted as i sat my mother down and told her about all off this. she was shocked about what people said. she thinks most people on her are just rude. no one knows my current situation so none of you can judge.

you could of said we recommend a bigger cage...but no. every took it that little bit far and crossed a line. most of you are just plain rude, you have no right what so ever to judge other people.

my advise? look after you own guinea pigs and dont worry about other peoples. everyone needs to get off there high horse and stop thinking they know everything when they clearly dont.

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
i have said if you read. i have money for vet bills and they are getting a new cage.

i have enough money for vet bills that is no one elses worry but MINE. i am a good owner. i can tell you the real reason why i have 8 pigs but that is no ones business but my own.

I will say it again i spoke to my mums friend and he is going to start building it this weekend and he is going to let me pay for it at the end of march. again no one else's business but my own.

i am a good owner, they get lots of floor time everyday, food, water hay they get everything they need. the cage issue will be sorted as i sat my mother down and told her about all off this. she was shocked about what people said. she thinks most people on her are just rude. no one knows my current situation so none of you can judge.

you could of said we recommend a bigger cage...but no. every took it that little bit far and crossed a line. most of you are just plain rude, you have no right what so ever to judge other people.

my advise? look after you own guinea pigs and dont worry about other peoples. everyone needs to get off there high horse and stop thinking they know everything when they clearly dont.

The question was directed at the poster I replied to, as the poster stated her mother wouldn't pay for future needed vet visits.

Cavalicious

Cavy Slave
I'm glad the mother of the OP read the thread. Regardless of whether or not she thinks some of the replies were rude, from being a mother myself, I understand the initial defensiveness. Very few people are humble anyway. But underlying that, some action is being taken, so I think it would be best to just back off. The thread made its point and it's true that we only have the power to suggest and not to follow through with people who ask for advice. I don't see the need in interrogating each and every person who comes on here in support of the OP if they happen to mention their personal situation.

What I have learned from being on this site: If you ask for advice, be prepared that people's questions will lead to answers of yours that may be very wrong. You may not intend to divulge what you have, but in trying to prevent further injury to your pet, the questions asked were necessary. That said, if you have the compunction to ask for help, you have to be willing to get the third degree as long as it's pertinent to the situation. There's no point in backtracking and telling everyone to mind their own business; you opened up your business to us in the first place.

That said, once the situation and possible options have been laid out, there's no need to escalate and assume the OP is a bad pet owner with further, off-topic interrogation. Despite her defensiveness, she now knows she needs a vet fund (whether she has it or not is yes, not our business to make sure that she does), a bigger cage, etc. Can we move on, please?

SurfingPigs

Cavy Slave
and you know what... You shouldnt care they are our guinea pigs not yours

Pardon me, but are you serious? Do you think this website, and most of the educated discussion and participation that occurs here, is done for any reason other than the fact that we (the members that contribute actual medical and care advice) care about your guinea pigs? Should we all make a note to not offer you any medical advice when your pig is sick?

*Headshake*

Nicholle

Cavy Slave
I completely disagree. I WILL care for other's animals when they are at risk, and not cared for properly. If you get more pets than you have room for or are able to care for properly, you are an irresponsible owner. Harsh yes, but the focus will always be on the animals, not the feelings of the owners. (This is not aimed at the OP.)

Do you have a vet fund? No
And the second question- I plan on caring for my guinea pig as they need. I will give them all the care they need and will keep them as healthy as i can. The nearest vet to me is 1 hour a way and if they get sick I REFUSE to stress my piggy out to take them on an hour car ride. I will care for my piggies till they die and if that ends early for them at an unfortunate cause I will know that I gave my piggies all the care I could possibly wish on them untill there last breath. And if you have a problem with this I really dont care. I Spent 1 whole year researching guinea pigs and have a whole file cabnet filled with files about diseases and possible cures. And i did this before I got a guinea pig. I feel that i am indeed a wonderful parent and if you can understand that then please just leave me and others alone. You might get a few to change there mind but most people like me have a reason they are not and you dont know there life so leave them alone

Nicholle

Cavy Slave
Should we all make a note to not offer you any medical advice when your pig is sick?

*Headshake*

This is not about medical care, this is about vet funds and People going absolutly nuts and tearing limbs off of people when ever someone doesnt agree with you. I appreciate all medical care help given to me and i know that if i didnt have there help i dont know what would have happened. But what i do not like about this forum is that the people have to be right they cant just say ok this person cant pay the vet bill and that since they cant that means that they are a bad parent to the piggy. This is what I dont like. I hope you understand me because i really am a nice person and i care for my piggies so very much

SurfingPigs

Cavy Slave
I will give them all the care they need and will keep them as healthy as i can. The nearest vet to me is 1 hour a way and if they get sick I REFUSE to stress my piggy out to take them on an hour car ride. I will care for my piggies till they die and if that ends early for them at an unfortunate cause I will know that I gave my piggies all the care I could possibly wish on them untill there last breath.

You are cranking out ironies like they are going out of style. You have me genuinely wondering how someone can refuse to even provide the most basic of needs (proper vet care) and in the same sentence claim to "care for my piggies".

A year of research and a million file cabinets will never cure a bacterial infection.

Really, how are you deluding yourself that you are providing good care?

1 hour is nothing. I drove my 5 foster pigs (according to how the rescue wanted, 2 of which were pregnant) over 2 hours to their new home. An hour drive is nothing; untreated pigs are something. Sorry, but with that attitude, you are a terrible example of an owner. I really hope for your pigs' sake that you change your attitude and learn how to properly care for an animal.

Good lord, the amount of ridiculous that you crammed in that post is frustrating. I really hope you learn a lesson, since that year of research obviously taught you nothing.

Last edited:

avengedsoph

Cavy Slave
there is really no need to keep posting on here, you have an issue surfing pigs? then go make a post.

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
Do you have a vet fund? No
And the second question- I plan on caring for my guinea pig as they need. I will give them all the care they need and will keep them as healthy as i can. The nearest vet to me is 1 hour a way and if they get sick I REFUSE to stress my piggy out to take them on an hour car ride. I will care for my piggies till they die and if that ends early for them at an unfortunate cause I will know that I gave my piggies all the care I could possibly wish on them untill there last breath. And if you have a problem with this I really dont care. I Spent 1 whole year researching guinea pigs and have a whole file cabnet filled with files about diseases and possible cures. And i did this before I got a guinea pig. I feel that i am indeed a wonderful parent and if you can understand that then please just leave me and others alone. You might get a few to change there mind but most people like me have a reason they are not and you dont know there life so leave them alone

What happens if your pig needs surgery? Has an illness you are not educated enough to treat or diagnose, or needs prescribed medication in a specific dosage? What happens in case of emergancy?

The risk here is that you will miss an illness, try to treat it yourself & the pig will deteriorate & possibly slowly die in pain. Not providing proper medical attention & care to an animal is animal abuse. THAT is why I will not "leave you and others alone". Your care is not enough when they need to see a vet.

SurfingPigs

Cavy Slave
there is really no need to keep posting on here, you have an issue surfing pigs? then go make a post.

I will post where I want, when I want. However, I will take your advice under advisement. Insert an eye roll smiley here.

I'm still posting because the blind-support gang is throwing feul on the fire. This is relevant; this is a website that is supposed to be espousing proper guinea pig care standards. Instead, there are children saying that it is proper to just buy all the pigs you want and keep them the way you want because hey, who the hell needs vet care? People are saying some rather mindless things, and I'm chiming in so that people don't jump on that bandwagon.

Have a problem with me? Bring it up with the moderators... it will be a losing battle.

they cant just say ok this person cant pay the vet bill and that since they cant that means that they are a bad parent to the piggy

That is bad parenting. If you had a child and couldn't take the child to the doctor, it would be bad parenting (2 parents were just convicted of involuntary manslaughter, so it legally is an issue). Same logic applies to my pigs, for me. But hey, I'm a good owner with sound logic, so I see where we deviate.

Why are you so unconcerned about your pigs that you are willing to let them die instead of take them to the vet?

Emissa

Cavy Slave
I think this thrd went super crazy. Moral of story to reasearch before you buy. Yall think its bad. Go check oht my kitchen sigh post...some lady put an add near me selling her cavies claiming they make great backyard livestock.

Status
Not open for further replies.