Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Is my pig blind?

Mark____g

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig has gone blind. For the last 48 hours he's been acting strange, not coming out from is his bed department and he is normally very active. It just seems that something had really scared him. But now realize he had gone blind. He seems really content being nursed and hand fed. But I am still worried about him. I am going to take him to a vet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Re: does my guinea pig looks blind?

What make you think he's blind?

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Ditto what @bpatters said. Hiding could have any number of causes. It could be illness or injury. Something could have scared him. Guinea pigs are prey animals by nature so they instinctually will hide symptoms that make them appear weak.

Mark____g

Cavy Slave
Re: does my guinea pig looks blind?

What make you think he's blind?

When I move my finger towards his eye he doesn't move. He never liked to pick up so normal would move if I move my hands towards him but I can tell he is not aware. Also he is not using his normal water bottle? he does seem very scared. He is going the vets on Tuesday. But he's eating from hand. I have just checked him and he seems okay.

kateanddoodle

Cavy Slave
Sometimes not moving or not blinking is a normal prey animal reaction. Is he eating or drinking at all?

Mark____g

Cavy Slave
Sometimes not moving or not blinking is a normal prey animal reaction. Is he eating or drinking at all?

Yes he's eating but not drinking as much as normal. He's going the vets today so will post what they say

mirabobell

Cavy Slave
I hope your piggy will be just finee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark____g

Cavy Slave
Ben seen the Vet today. The good news is he's fit and health the vet said He's no treatment. The vet said he has an old eye injury problems before we had him. But very happy and I have learnt a lot about how to take good care of him. Especially His food I had no idea his diet should contain so much hay.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Hay is the (broken link removed) staple of a guinea pig diet. They need to have unlimited access to it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.