Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Urine Boar Drinking a lot and urinating a lot

Dom R

Cavy Slave
Hi all,

So it may be quite a long story to explain anything, but I'll try and shorten it down.

So recently I've noticed that Peanut (The brown on in my profile picture) has been drinking a lot more than he originally did. But this only seemed to start happening after the passing of Rodney, his cagemate. Before he drunk a healthy amount, and allowed me to fill up both water bottles at the same time.

He's not really showing any symptoms for anything, except drinking a lot and urinating a lot. He doesn't have a wet bottom, show any discomfort while urinating, have any grains in his urine, he's eating and seems pretty much normal, except the excess drinking. He's not lost any weight and it is stable, so I'm quite confused.

I'm just wondering if this could possibly an illness that has developed caused by the stress of losing his cagemate. Or is it a behaviour developed because of the loss of his cagemate, sort of... stress drinking or something along those lines.

Please note that all four (Including Rodney) had a vet checkup on the Friday that Rodney got put to sleep due to cavy leukaemia, and she said that they're all healthy (except Rodney, unfortunately), and have no masses or anything that I may have possibly missed. Please note that the vet I saw is fantastic with guinea pigs, and is trained in guinea pig care and everything so.

I'm thinking about possibly taking a urine sample to the vets (Even though it is 45 minutes away), and seeing if they can find anything.

I'd also like to add that they have constant access to hay, water and get pellets daily. They also get fresh veg such as Bell Peppers, cucumber and a few other bits, such as carrot really occasionally.

I appreciate any replies I get from anyone,

- Dom

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I wouldn't worry yet. Mine have always taken drinking by spells -- guzzling it down for a few days, then going back to normal consumption.

As long as he's eating/pooping/behaving normally, is not losing weight, and there's no odor to the urine (which would indicate infection), I'd just watch. Do weigh him regularly, as increased thirst combined with weight loss can indicate diabetes.

If you notice any of these symptoms I've mentioned, then do take him in. But my guess is that things will resolve themselves fairly quickly.

Dom R

Cavy Slave
That's good to hear, was just worrying about it after going through everything recently. I was also worried since he'd never done this before and what not. He was at 1192 on Monday and he's still 1190 today, so there's no weight loss but I'll continue to check him regularly.

He's behaving how he normally does, just a little less active due to not having anyone to chat with or play with, but that will hopefully change on Saturday.

Could you possibly explain the odour that can be produced if there is an infection? Just in case I notice it at some point so I know something is possibly wrong. At the moment I believe it is still normal, with the normal urine smell I suppose

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Fresh guinea pig urine doesn't have much of a smell. Be sure you're not smelling peed-on hay, which is awful. But if it's a fresh spot and has any pungent odor, it can signal a URI.

Dom R

Cavy Slave
Just wanting to say/update that he's now drinking his normal amount. And he also has a new little cagemate that is absolutely gorgeous, he's really tiny since he's only 6 weeks old. I got him from a rescue earlier, and he's extremely noisy.

Lauren Oliver

Cavy Slave
Fresh guinea pig urine doesn't have much of a smell. Be sure you're not smelling peed-on hay, which is awful. But if it's a fresh spot and has any pungent odor, it can signal a URI.
Today, I changed Truffle (my boar) bedding. They're both in our living room so his "kitchen area" (2x1 loft over a 2x5 c&c cage) is right next to our sofas so very easy to smell.
I only cleaned him out yesterday and it stunk, the urine smelt bad and the corner of his towel (I put towels underneath the fleece) was absolutely soaked through and leaking through the c&c base!!
Is this normal?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I think towels are the absolute worst thing to use as an absorbent material because they stink so bad. That said, some people do manage with them, so maybe the problem is something else.

Guinea pig urine itself doesn't usually smell bad, but peed-on hay smells awful. Are you keeping the hay out of that area?

Is the area that smells so bad the loft, or some part of the lower cage?

Lauren Oliver

Cavy Slave
I think towels are the absolute worst thing to use as an absorbent material because they stink so bad. That said, some people do manage with them, so maybe the problem is something else.

Guinea pig urine itself doesn't usually smell bad, but peed-on hay smells awful. Are you keeping the hay out of that area?

Is the area that smells so bad the loft, or some part of the lower cage?
The loft is the kitchen and the hay is in that with his pellets, veggies and water bottle! I didn't realise its the worst, because they're in our lounge it's worth getting something better, what would you recommend?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Wood pellets are the absolute best at odor control. I used them for years, putting a layer of light fleece over them to make it easier to dump the poop and hay.

Lauren Oliver

Cavy Slave
Wood pellets are the absolute best at odor control. I used them for years, putting a layer of light fleece over them to make it easier to dump the poop and hay.
Wood pellets as in sawdust? Or these?
f0cb4a8c424d2064997347cd9d76f40c.jpg

Thunder

Cavy Slave
Not sawdust. The ones in the pictures.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Sawdust isn't wood pellets.

What you want are pellets that do not have a strong pine odor, and don't have an accelerant added to them (those made for pellet stoves often do). Pellets sold for horse stall bedding are generally suitable.

Lauren Oliver

Cavy Slave
Sawdust isn't wood pellets.

What you want are pellets that do not have a strong pine odor, and don't have an accelerant added to them (those made for pellet stoves often do). Pellets sold for horse stall bedding are generally suitable.
OK fab, I'm gonna use up my sawdust as I have lots of it from before I decided to use fleece, once that's gone ill get wood pellets! Thank you

Thunder

Cavy Slave
Sawdust is really bad for their respiratory system.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.