Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sexing Babies

caitlinbenosky

Cavy Slave
So my babies turned two weeks yesterday, and I am having a little bit of trouble sexing them. I tried looking up pictures online, but all photos I've seen are adults. I'm 99% sure I have two girls and a boy. I pushed on the area right above, and i only had one instance where something poked out. And it was clearly an "i" not a "Y". Do any of you know where I can see pictures helping me out? The pictures need to be sexing babies specifically. I would go to the vet, but it's $60 per pig. And since none of them are sick or really have to go to the vet, I'm not about to put down $200 to figure it out.

i have no idea! hm. what do i google?

Ditto @lissie. But most vets don't charge for sexing pups, as far as I know.

the ones around me do lol. i've been calling.

Last edited:
The vets around me charge as well.

If you post pictures we should be able to help you ^.^

A vet that my friend spoke with said they won't even attempt sexing babies until 5-6 weeks. Is that normal?

It can be tricky the first 2 weeks to sex guinea pigs. By three weeks, it's pretty obvious.

I sexed my boys as males the day they were born. There was a pretty distinguished "i", albeit small. I checked daily until 3.5 weeks. It took until around 3 weeks old for the penis to protrude when gently pressed.

Can you post some photos for us? Easier said than done with wiggly babies, I know. :)

I tried taking photos but they were a big blur lol
I am pretty certain. I have checked almost daily. They are 9 days right now. I am afraid to give them to friends who already have pigs when they are 3 weeks if a Vet can't be certain. I will try to take some photos. Sorry @caitlinbenosky for hijacking your thread:eek:hmy:

If the vet thinks they can't be sexed until they're that age, they're an incompetent vet. Pigs can be sexed the day they're born, so long as you keep checking periodically until you reach 3 weeks. Boys can be rehomed at 3 weeks as they have to be separated from the mum at that age anyway, so aren't relying on her at all. Females can be rehomed as soon as they're weaned from mum, which I believe is around 4/5 weeks.

@Princess_Piggie, that's exactly what I thought. I don't trust that Vet! Thanks for the help. I am pretty sure that I have 2 boys and two girls but will definitely try and get some photos and have a Vet (not my friend's!) check before they go.

yeah i'll post a few pictures. just give me a couple minutes :)

Sexing BabiesSexing Babies

pig one - i think this is a boy. even though there is a y shape, when i push, it turns in to an i and that thing comes out lol. i'm going to try to post more now, if not i get off work in 8 hours lol

Now you have me confused because I would have sworn that was a girl! Ah! I want my "girl" to be a girl. I will cry if she's a he!

I could swear those are two different pigs. Top picture is distinctly female looking, and bottom picture quite male. How old is he/she?

I could swear those are two different pigs. Top picture is distinctly female looking, and bottom picture quite male. How old is he/she?

I thought the same thing when I looked at the pictures!
Top looks female but bottom looks male! how strange!

That's the same pig? Pic left is girl and pic right is boy so I don't know?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.