Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Dominance Concerning Dominance Behavior

Squibbles

Cavy Gazer
Hi everyone! This is my first topic thread on any forum online so I hope that this is correct.

I recently acquired 2 female guinea pigs who I have named Squibbles and Squeaks. Squibbles is 5 months old and Squeaks is 3 months old. I purchased them from a small local pet store. I had been researching guinea pigs for a few days and wanted to look at some supplies in person instead of online.

I had absolutely no intention of buying any supplies and certainly any piggies, but I couldn?t help it. I absolutely fell in love with Squibbles who rode around in my fianc?es hoodie for over an hour while we talked to the store owner. We only purchased Squibbles that day (December 2nd) as I was hoping to locate another Abyssinian and I really wanted to rescue one from a shelter after all of the reading I had done through forums like this one.

We purchased a starter kit from the pet store which I had no intention of keeping that as the primary enclosure but I needed somewhere for her to sleep temporarily. I already knew what type of enclosure I wanted to provide ultimately. I only had to locate the supplies.

Once we got home with her and got everything set up, she looked absolutely miserable and lonely. I felt so terrible for her that we ended up returning to the store the next day and purchasing the 3 month old female Squeaks. I was not too concerned about introductions as they had been housed together so I just assumed it would actually be the best fit for both of them, and we would avoid any type of falling out.

I actually made a joke about Squeaks being the one piggy that Squibbles hated the most out of the group (there were 4 altogether) while we were on our way home with the new addition.

When I put Squeaks in the cage Squibbles really was not happy. She seemed agitated at her presence but there was no alarming behavior between them. The cage was way too small for one piggy much less two so I figured things would get better once I moved them to a larger area.

They only ended up spending 24 hours in that ridiculous starter kit (how is it legal for them to sell these cages?). I cleaned out my entire closet and built them a make shift enclosure the very next day on December 4th. As soon as I placed them in the new temporary set up they seemed extremely happy! Popcorning and running about.

The area was still too small measuring in at roughly 2x5. After a week passed by I rearranged my entire bedroom and after two days of adjustments, I was able to provide an area of 10 square feet. They were thrilled at the final arrangement and so was I.

Everyone has been happy and quiet for the last 2 weeks. I?d never seen any type of dominance displays between the girls until late last night. I was initially concerned but took the the internet and read all about establishing dominance behaviors.

From what I could tell, what they are doing is normal so I just kept my eyes on them all night long. Squeaks began rumble strutting at squibbles and making what I would call a low growling noise or a deep purr possibly teeth chattering? Hard to determine. Squibbles just whined whenever Squeaks got near her. No physical altercations were observed.

The situation is gradually becoming more heated though which is why I am posting this thread. Squeaks will not let Squibbles be. She is constantly harassing her, chasing her, mounting etc. I know that this is normal to a degree but it?s been going on nonstop for about 2 hours and I?m getting really concerned.

They nipped at each other?s noses a few moments ago and Squeaks just will not stop making that threatening sound while Squibbles is continuously whimpering. I have not separated them as I read that one shouldn?t do that unless there is an injury.

I?m really worried though and I really could some feedback. Sorry for such a long post but I felt I had to give some backstory.

Any advice or reassurance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave

Squibbles

Cavy Gazer
One of them is probably in heat, and things should calm down in a day or so. They'll come in heat about every 14-16 days for a day or so, and it can get really intense.

Here's some recommended reading material for new pig owners:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/113176-Information-for-new-guinea-pig-owners
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/107827-What-NOT-to-do-for-your-guinea-pigs!

Thanks for the links! I read these when I first joined the forum earlier this month and skimmed through them again last night while watching the girls although I am not sure how much sunk in. I have not slept because their enclosure is one foot from my side of the bed and worry was getting the better of me. I can read them again though once I have had a nap :)

I guess I am just nervous and possibly a tad bit over concerned lol. I?ve never had guinea pigs before nor do I know anyone who owns any. I am very grateful for this forum!

PiggieLover101

Cavy Slave
I was just about to say that it sounds like the same behavior my girls would do when they were in heat! Then I read the previous reply. For my girls, it would usually last 2-3 days at most, and they would get very “aggressive” - no injuries but the rumble-strutting and mounting seemed like it would never stop.

Squibbles

Cavy Gazer
Thanks for the piece of mind. I was so worried but looking back I really probably over reacted. I was exhausted by the time I posted this thread. I?ve just never had piggies before and I want them to be healthy, happy, and safe!

I didn?t realize they went into heat so young until I read more information. Squibbles was swaying at me earlier! It was so funny! Is it normally the aggressor who is in heat or the other way around? How would you know if they both are?

Squibbles

Cavy Gazer
I meant to add in your personal experience not what I can read on the internet lol. I?ve read so much information my brain is completely jumbled! Sometimes it?s nice to hear people?s experiences.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
For my girls (one pair, one trio, so five sows total between two cages) there are some where it is very obvious when one is in heat, and for others I can never tell.

With my trio (Willow, Alice and Ita) the dominant girl Willow gets very moody when she is in heat, she will rumble strut around, and will chase Alice and Ita out their hidies if she decides she wants the hidey, she will teeth chatter, yawn, and challenge Alice to a chin up, will groom Ita under the chin, and occasionally she will mount the other girls. The second in charge in the trio Alice drives Ita mad with how much she humps or attempts to hump her when she goes in heat, but if Alice tries to hump Willow she gets firmly told off (Ita will sometimes run to Willow to escape the hump mad Alice). The most submissive girl in the trio Ita will usually only rumble strut a little bit, once in a blue moon she will try to mount one of the other girls but quickly gives up when they tell her off, but most of the time I can't really tell when she is in heat or not.

For my pair, Xoie and Nahla, I really can't tell when either of them are in heat. Occasionally I will see Xoie rumble strut, but I can never tell if that is because she is in heat or if she is just showing her dominance as the boss of the two. Nahla has literally zero signs of ever being in heat.

Squibbles

Cavy Gazer
Squeaks was acting just like Willow yesterday! She seemed really grumpy too but it only lasted for about 24 hours. Thankfully everyone is back to their chipper selves :)

I have yet to see any type of pecking order implemented between my two girls. The only semblance of dominant behavior I have noticed since I brought them home was yesterday. I am with them 90% of the time. Is it odd that I have not witnessed any dominance displays?

Also, I really like the way you spelled Xoie! Very unique and a pretty name.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I had two sows for nearly six years, and had no idea which one was the dominant pig.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.