Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Grids I am seriously done with grids!

Holly&Fred

Cavy Slave
Or making the plexi glass only come up to a certain height (12 inches or so), and leaving the rest open? Even with holes you really can't get enough ventilation.

charliespet

Cavy Slave
I might just do plexi half way up, and then drill holes all in rows along the back and make some wire windows on the sides, or cut outs near the top..

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
See this cage, it might give you some ideas.
Cavy Condo #4 - Guinea Pig Cage Photos

I had mentioned liking this cage in a different post and was told it wouldn't have good ventilation. What is your opinion on that? I'm hoping to build a wood and plexiglass cage this summer when my father comes to visit, he's a cabinet maker, and was going to use this cage as the example.

Kimberly713

Cavy Slave
Just gonna throw my two cents in here.
I notice a lot of people telling you what to do in order to keep the grids, and I totally understand not liking them. I seem to have mastered the art of reinforcing it so it's sturdy enough, but still I'd like to do something else if I could. I mostly hate how ugly coroplast is, it just looks cheap and ugly to me personally, but I deal with it for the sake of the pigs of course.

There are a lot of ideas out there for alternative cages though, it just takes a little more imagination and dedication. Plexiglass, wood, metal, etc. If I ever have piggies later in life, I want to build some variation of a plexiglass modern looking cage myself.

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I found my grids (9x9) at bed bath and beyond.
where in FL are you located? i can help you find one and let you use one of my coupons.
3 boxes cost me $60. And that is with tax and the 20% off coupon.

ETA: my cage is made ENTIRELY of just grids, zip ties and coroplast. And it is very sturdy. Once you add the coroplast it gets sturdy.
If this is pertaining to your pig escaping, it is REALLY not that hard to baby proof your cage. I've seen a user on here use these lil picket fences to baby proof her cage.
I am seriously done with grids!

charliespet

Cavy Slave
I had mentioned liking this cage in a different post and was told it wouldn't have good ventilation. What is your opinion on that? I'm hoping to build a wood and plexiglass cage this summer when my father comes to visit, he's a cabinet maker, and was going to use this cage as the example.
That is more like it! LOL This is exactly what my husband and I are going to build...love it!

charliespet

Cavy Slave
Just gonna throw my two cents in here.
I notice a lot of people telling you what to do in order to keep the grids, and I totally understand not liking them. I seem to have mastered the art of reinforcing it so it's sturdy enough, but still I'd like to do something else if I could. I mostly hate how ugly coroplast is, it just looks cheap and ugly to me personally, but I deal with it for the sake of the pigs of course. Right. I also think the cage is ugly, on top of not very sturdy, on top of having to zip tie things together to make them safe...I personally find the whole mess annoying, and I can't wait to use the grids as shelves...and build a permanent hutch that's nicer to look at and easier for me to clean! As well as comfy and safe for my piggies!

There are a lot of ideas out there for alternative cages though, it just takes a little more imagination and dedication. Plexiglass, wood, metal, etc. If I ever have piggies later in life, I want to build some variation of a plexiglass modern looking cage myself.
Totally agree!

charliespet

Cavy Slave
I found my grids (9x9) at bed bath and beyond.
where in FL are you located? i can help you find one and let you use one of my coupons.
3 boxes cost me $60. And that is with tax and the 20% off coupon.

ETA: my cage is made ENTIRELY of just grids, zip ties and coroplast. And it is very sturdy. Once you add the coroplast it gets sturdy.
If this is pertaining to your pig escaping, it is REALLY not that hard to baby proof your cage. I've seen a user on here use these lil picket fences to baby proof her cage.
View attachment 27291
Thank you for offering some nice suggestions, but I'm with Inle_Rabbit. I think the whole thing is tacky and annoying. I cannot WAIT to get our new cage...I love having my friends see and play with my pigs out in the open when we have dinner guests, however, I don't like the cage. It's an eye sore. Also, constantly having issues has just made grids and coro a major pain in the dupa for me. On another note...no one likes to view poo while they eat, and the setup my home has, if you can see inside the cage from the sides, its unavoidable...doesn't bother me, but I'd hate to have a guest throw up as my loveable furbaby sneeks a poo...hahah ewwww.

charliespet

Cavy Slave
I was wondering if you could use wire shelving for the front instead of plexiglass? Just a thought.

I love the happy piggy pictures!
No, I decided I don't want any wire at all. I want it to be sleek and modern looking like the rest of my furniture. I like the pigs in the living room, but I like my living room to be uncluttered with random "junky" looking things. Unless I found some scrolling grating, like you see on the back of some garden benches, no wire, zip ties, or any form of cheap looking plastic...I'm over it.

charliespet

Cavy Slave
Or making the plexi glass only come up to a certain height (12 inches or so), and leaving the rest open? Even with holes you really can't get enough ventilation.
Yeah I will leave it just high enough so they can't get out, but not sealed in...I will still be able to reach my hand in...etcetera

charliespet

Cavy Slave
You do have to use the thicker zip ties. They usually come in the 6 or 8 inch length. If you're using the 4 inch ties, those are too small, IMO. Otherwise, I think the grids are a bit wobbly when they are stacked, so I used the white wire shelving. It's more expensive, but I feel it can withstand my 20 pound+ cat, if he decides to investigate, or a regular dog (not something totally determined). Someone had said they used a drop of high temp hot glue up inside the connectors, and she felt that made it much more sturdy, so maybe that would help you. Can you post a pic? Maybe we can see something else that can help.
Oh sorry...I totally took the whole cage apart and went two seperate again on the floot...;/ can't wait for a new cage!

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
My biggest obstacle to a wood and plexi cage is I can not cut a straight line in wood to save my life. :-/ if I could do it myself I'd have it done by now!! Lol

Roo99

Cavy Slave
Alright, I feel kind of dumb asking this. However, bpatters mentioned in a previous posts that as long as you use spacer joints and cable ties your cage will be very sturdy. I Googled it, but I'm still confused. What is a space joint as it relates to guinea pig cages?

Guinea Pigzzzzz

Cavy Slave
That is so true, I have my grids up on 3 tables, its 3x4 connected to a 2x6 section for 2 pigs.
It tends to be pretty wobbly and annoying, but the guinea pigs don't really mess around with the cage unless they know I'm coming and they will lean against the cage and wheek.
I would much rather prefer a stable hutch too, but the guinea pigs love their cage so much I don't want to take it down now lol.

nibbler100

Cavy Slave
Alright, I feel kind of dumb asking this. However, bpatters mentioned in a previous posts that as long as you use spacer joints and cable ties your cage will be very sturdy. I Googled it, but I'm still confused. What is a space joint as it relates to guinea pig cages?

lol the connectors XD dont worry it took me a min too lol

Haymonster

Cavy Slave
I'd just like to speak out in defense of C&C cages and coroplast... I don't think they look "junky" or are an "eyesore". I don't think coroplast looks cheap and ugly. I've had many visitors (most are non-guinea pig people) who praise my C&C cages and think they look great. Several even commented that my C&C looks much better than having a wooden cage in the house. It's fine if you don't like the look of C&C cages, but I just thought that the other side (those who think that C&C cages look really nice in their homes) should be heard as well.

alliedave22

Cavy Slave
If you put a divider down a 2x4 cage, they'll only have 2x2 each.

Are you referring to grids or feet when you say 2x4?

Edit to add:
Sorry, just reread your post. 2x4 on each side. My apologies.

See this cage, it might give you some ideas.
Cavy Condo #4 - Guinea Pig Cage Photos

Is there a building plan for that condo? That is really nice!!!

lissie

Cavy Slave
Is there a building plan for that condo? That is really nice!!!

That's not my cage, so I don't have the building plan.
I have the plan for this one, if you're interested.
I am seriously done with grids!

Last edited:

lissie

Cavy Slave
My biggest obstacle to a wood and plexi cage is I can not cut a straight line in wood to save my life. :-/ if I could do it myself I'd have it done by now!! Lol

I built my wood without cutting any of the wood. I had the lumberyard cut them for me. They know me as the bunk bed lady :) (built my kids bunk bed too)

I think she ment the connectors that come with the grids.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.