Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Quarantine No Separate Room for Quarantine

rayvensmoon

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
So there's a beautiful little sow for adoption on UsedVictoria.com at the moment, and I have been contemplating adding a third to my pair for a while now. I want to rescue her so badly, her current owner keeps her in an aquarium!! :sad:

The problem is, my apartment is open-concept, so aside from the bedroom (which barely fits our bed and a dresser, never mind a piggy cage of any decent size) and the bathroom, there is no place to properly quarantine any new addition to our home. I wonder if I kept her in that aquarium (*shudder*) for the 3-week period in the dining room area which is a fair distance from the living room where the girls' cage is, would that be at all helpful? Or should I just get her into a proper cage ASAP, still as far away from the other girls as possible, use all other precautions (hand-washing, changing shirts when handling etc.) and hope for the best?:confused:

LOL my co-worker has just pointed out I could keep the new piggy at our office for the quarantine, I think she just wants an office pet!!!lolBut...come to think of it...so long as no one in the office has allergies...hmmmmm...

pinky

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't put her in an aquarium. I'd set something with better ventilation up on my dresser in the bedroom. How much space would there be between the cage and the dining room spot? I wouldn't keep her in an office where she'd be alone at night.

rayvensmoon

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
There's at least 20 feet between the dining room and living room, probably more but I can measure. I'm fairly certain a cage would not fit in the bedroom, though I can do some measuring there too. The top of the dresser is not very wide, and there's only enough room on the floor to get around the bed and dresser. You're quite right about having a piggy in an office overnight, I was mostly kidding about that. :) Thanks for replying!

pinky

Cavy Slave
There's at least 20 feet between the dining room and living room, probably more but I can measure. I'm fairly certain a cage would not fit in the bedroom, though I can do some measuring there too. The top of the dresser is not very wide, and there's only enough room on the floor to get around the bed and dresser. You're quite right about having a piggy in an office overnight, I was mostly kidding about that. :) Thanks for replying!

I'm not sure if 20 feet is enough. I think you'd probably be able to tell if the new one has a URI but something like mites or lice not be as easy to spot. Running lice can REALLY run and are species specific so your others could be at risk from mites or lice.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.