Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How Many? Calling all HERD owners (3+ Piggies)...

omgbecky

Cavy Gazer
Hey everyone!

So, I need some advice...

Back in December we got our first sow. We quickly realized that yes, everyone who says to get a pair was correct, and we got her a friend (another sow) a week and a half later. They are the best little buddies now!! We had even talked about possibly adding a third to the mix...

but then to our surprise... what we thought was just a fat little piggie trying to keep up with her bigger buddy... was in fact a pregnant piggie and now we have 3 babies as well!

I know that I need to check the sex and separate any boys from the girls by about 3-4 weeks...

But what I really need advice on, is your experiences with more than 3 pigs. One was easy, adding the second was easy, and I'm pretty sure having 3 wouldn't be any harder... but 5?!

Literally making the jump from 2 to 5 overnight has my mind boggled. I just don't think we have the room for a large enough cage to keep them all happy. And even if we found a good spot to build a big enough cage, I'm worried about how much they'll eat, etc. etc.

So what do those of you with 3+ piggies think?

Do you feel like they eat a significant amount more than just a pair? Do they need double, even triple the cage? Do all of your pigs have their own toys?

I was good with two, maybe ready for a third, I don't know if we can handle 5 of its really double the work/food/space.

Thanks for your help!!! :) :)

I don't know about a herd work load, so I won't comment there. I'm sure that someone else will say this but the boys need to be removed at about 3 weeks, or you will run the risk of another preggers piggie.

I have 21 piggies (all rescues, all divided up into their own groups, with a herd of 8 being the largest of those groups). Yes, you will need lots of space. Yes, they eat lots of food (veggies being the most expensive component of that, I find). The biggest expense though is vet bills. Which is something many people forget or don't consider at first when adopting healthy piggies.
And considering I've just had the worst week and a half for vet expenses ($AUD3500+, woosh), I 'm definitely big on making sure people consider the bad times as well as the good. Because you will have a lot of piggies the same age, they will get old together, and old age can sometimes bring health concerns and ongoing issues that need regular veterinary care. So please remember to factor that in when making your decision. :)

@stray hares
21!!! oh my goodness! I can't even imagine! :)

I'm sorry to hear about the vet expenses all at one time! yikes!

but that is definitely a VERY good point. Probably the BEST point, considering the mom is so young as well. and our other sow is roughly that same age.

And you are totally correct in that I hadn't really thought about that. So thank you very, very much!
@PiggyGrandma15
Thank you for mentioning that. I do know they need to be separated and am going to have the sexes double checked in a week. I'm fairly sure of 2 of them but not on the other, but since they're only a day old at this point, she said to bring them by in a week and it should be easier to tell. :)

I think at this point I'm leaning toward keeping one sow and hopefully adopting out the other two as a pair. But I'll definitely have the sex of all double checked before that 3 week mark. That way there are no more accidental babies for anyone!

I think I'm still a bit in shock that she was even pregnant to begin with! Just very careless to not have had her separated from intact boars!

Thank you both again for your replies!!

I currently have a herd of 7 all in one cage. Currently they are in a 2x7 with a 2x2 kitchen area.

I will say having this many versus when I had 3 has been an adjustment. There is certainly a LOT more poop and daily cleaning the cage takes a bit more time.

There is a little more expense in veggies but really I only spend maybe $20 a week and I only feed my pigs organic.

I personally wouldn't change a thing. I love my pigs and they are worth every penny and minute spent on them. :)

Oh...and I also have 2 cats, 2 dogs, a cockatiel, and a husband to take care of. Hahahaha

Oh...and I also have 2 cats, 2 dogs, a cockatiel, and a husband to take care of. Hahahaha

You have your hands full!! :)

We have 1 dog. And then I've got a husband as well and 3 kids...

So, I'm partially worried about the space. The two are/were in a 2x4 with more grids on the way. The plan was to expand to a 2x5 with a loft maybe. I just don't know if we could spare the vertical room for a 2x6 or 2x7.

Veggies aren't too bad here but they're not great either. We're in Hawaii so everything is shipped and costs a bit more. I think I've been able to keep under $10 for two weeks worth for both at this point. But then, they are both fairly young and small still, so the idea of doubling or even tripling that for 5 grown ones makes me cringe a bit. I suppose I could start growing my own bell pepper again. :)

Hay is honestly the real killer out here. I can get the Small Pet Select but it's definitely more expensive here than on the mainland. What might be $50-$70 usually is $75-$100 here! so that's freaking me out. I could probably cut that down some with a better kitchen area and/or hay feeder, because they like to crawl into the one we're using now which wastes quite a bit of their hay from them nesting/going potty in it.

I don't mind the cleaning time really. so that's not too much of a worry.

but it's really good to hear your perspective as well. especially since you went from "a few" to "double that" like we would be. :)

So much to think about!!

and just because... I posted these in my "introduce yourself" post but I'll post the babies here as well... :) :)

Awwww they are so adorable!!!!

Babies are always so cute!!! I love them all lined up on your arm!

Maybe once you can determine the gender of the babies, that will help you make a decision. You could just keep any female babies (unless they're all female :eek: ) and rehome the males. Also, it probably wouldn't hurt to check out your two sows just to be sure they are both really sows!

Awwww they are so adorable!!!!

aren't they?! I've seen other's pictures of their babies course never did I think I'd get to hold one so tiny! Their ears are so big!! adorable :))

Babies are always so cute!!! I love them all lined up on your arm!

Maybe once you can determine the gender of the babies, that will help you make a decision. You could just keep any female babies (unless they're all female :eek: ) and rehome the males. Also, it probably wouldn't hurt to check out your two sows just to be sure they are both really sows!

Thank you! That was kind of what I was thinking as well with the gender. I did check Gypsy and she is definitely a girl. So no worries there. Just have to check the babies now.

We were just so surprised because we've only barely had Daisy (the new mama) for right at 60 days now (adopted Dec. 2). And Gypsy for just over a month (Dec. 18). My first thought was "aw crap, she was a he!" but then I realized the timing didn't line up with their gestation.

Oh well. Sweet babies!! lol!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.