Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Cage size~

liviloveme

Cavy Slave
I can't find the parts!
That page was the first i looked on because I thought it would be cheaper.
But i couldn't figure out the prices.
And a lt of people are pretty much calling me an animal abuser just because i CANT get a second guinea pig.
And "get a job painting" yeah, not going to happen, no one has bought my art and I put it on public sale! Over the internet! No one want art by a 13 year old!

SO STOP REPLYING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

liviloveme

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry, how am I not helping? I found you a bigger cage with a lower price.
I looked at the prices of the cages and they are still to pricey for me atm.
I don't understand how the cages I even picked aren't big enough.
At the animal refuge league in Kennybunk they had the same cages.
And they were perfect squares and they i think were either 2 feet across and length or 3 feet.
Either way the cages seemed pretty big to me.

In all honeslty, I'm 14 and I got my first two boys (Who are at the vets right now) when I was 12. I pay for nearly everything of theirs (apart from the water!).
You could get a small job, sewing things, cooking or painting or anything really.

IF you can not afford $30-$40, then I hope you have at least $1000 put away for if your pig gets sick. The fireworks upset my three boys so badly that they are at the vets, It's costing me around $800 - $1200 for all of them, It depends what the vets have to do for the end price.

Keeping a guinea pig by their-self (unless they can not live with another one, even then they should be caged besides one) is selfish. The reason you have not/can not get more then one is your decision, your choice not the pigs. I'm sorry, but if you do not have enough money for a big enough cage, a buddy or for the vets then you should not have a guinea pig. Age does matter, but it is NOT an excuse.

I'm sorry if I'm sounding rude, but in all honesty, You are this pigs life line. If you can not give her everything she needs then It might be a good idea to start thinking about giving to someone who can.
And yes at the animal refuge league where i live getting guinea pigs is $30-$40 I had said to ADOPT. Adopting and buying are 2 different things.
I'm sorry that people where I live can afford real art and don't want anything from a middle schooler.
I even posted my art on a website for people to purchase anywhere in the world an no one has bought it.
And you people are horrible at being polite.
The people at "Hamster-Hideout" were so polite when i asked them about what to do with my 4 year old hamster (which is an old hamster that is living past his time)

Colorado Cavies

Cavy Slave
What exactly do you mean by parts? The link @lissy gave is all you need. You can add things like a lid but they are unnecessary unless you have other animals that might get into the cage.

You should just be able to order that one single thing and thats it.

Also a guinea pig cage needs to be 30x36 inches minimum for one piggy. Some of the ones you are looking at is half of that. The shelter is another story because the pigs aren't meant to be there long term. There is a huge difference with spending a few weeks in a small cage at a shelter and spending the rest of their lives in one.

liviloveme

Cavy Slave
UGH!
Ok i give UP on you people.
Just someone get an admin to lock this thread NONE of you are helping me

Colorado Cavies

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry but it is very hard to help someone who refuses to be helped.

CandyApple

Cavy Slave
Look, what we are saying is those cages are two small, and not suitable at all for a guinea pig, let alone two. You don,t seem to have the finaces to properly care for the guinea pigs. Please listen to the advice we are giving you, as at the moment the cage your going to put them in is way too small.

ZenMama

Cavy Slave
First of all, I understand that you are 13, but that doesn't mean you can make excuses for not caring for your pets properly. It only means that maybe you shouldn't have a guinea pig right now, or if you do get one, you will have to work a little harder. 2nd, no one who has replied to this thread has been rude to you. You have been rude in your replies, when it was you who came to ask a question, and when you didn't get the answer you wanted, demanding everyone to stop replying. 3rd, maybe this will be more helpful. I have looked at all the cages you posted, as well as the link posted to the cage on amazon. If you look at it this way, you will be able to see the Midwest Habitat is your best option.

Walmart cages:
$23.75 24x14
$27.84 23x13
$28.39 30.5x12.5
$30 24x14

Midwest Habitat:
$29.44 47x24

You said you wanted to know what cage size was needed for one guinea pig. Several people have told you, this cage, at 47x24 is the minimum size needed. The others you linked are way too small. If you can buy it for under $30, and free shipping, and it fits the requirements, why would you not do that? There are also reasons why everyone has told you that your guinea pig needs a companion. No one has said it to be rude, but that is just the truth. They are herd animals, they need companions. If you are determined to only have one, at least get the bigger cage, that costs the same as the smaller cages. Please do more research on guinea pigs and why they need other guinea pigs. They can not play or be housed with other small animals, so it will make no difference to them to be caged in the same room. A play area is a great idea, and out of the cage time spent with you is a must. Just because cage manufacturers recommend or make a certain cage size for certain animals does not mean that is ok. They are not looking out for the welfare of those animals. As the pet owner, you have to.

I hope this helps, I would write more, but I need to leave now. I hope to talk to you more later.

WheekingPiggies

Cavy Slave
I am sorry some people have come across rude to you. They honestly just have what's best for your future guinea pig.

Perhaps you could do chores for your neighbors (like raking leaves) to earn some extra money. Otherwise, maybe you can wait until you have some more money to get your guinea pig.

Also, the Midwest cage is about the same price as the ones you posted and a whole lot bigger. I'm a bit confused as to why you wouldn't go with that option.

LithiumRiot

Cavy Slave
Hey there. If you're gonna try and stick a guinea pig in a small cage and not have a friend for her, you probably shouldn't get a guinea pig. Perhaps a hamster or something would be a better choice.

But if you're still set on getting a piggy, there are a few options you can do for cages.
1. A c&c cage. You can message me if you need help finding materials or anything.
2. The midwest habitat cage is cheaper than the other cages you were looking at and is a good size

You should do your research first. What do you know about guinea pig care? Are you gonna give her veggies and unlimited hay, and a good quality pellet? If you need any help, you can post a thread or message me. I'd be more than happy to help!

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
Okay, let me say this nicely.

No one has been rude to you. We all just want the best for your future pig.

It's great you want to adopt, and it's great that your parents are willing to pay for a vet, if needed. And that can be expensive.

Age is NO excuse though. At 13, you aren't just a kid. And if you honestly think that, then I'm confused. At 13, I thought I was this big grown up kid ready to take on the world. Not a kid. If someone dared to call me a kid, I would correct them, "I am a teen".

I am 16 years old right now, and unemployed. I juggle grade 11 school work, numerous appointments, and I still have TWO pigs, in a WAY huge cage, they always have hay, water, and get fed twice a day. I do everything I came for them, and technically, I'm still a "child" In the eyes of the law. A minor. And I still manage.

I understand that it's frustraiting for people to not agree with you, but honestly, don't risk the safety of your animal. I think you may not know how big pigs get. The little pet shop pigs? Sure, they look okay in a little cage. A full grown pig typically weighs around 2-3 lbs, and they can be 12 inches long. If your cage is only 24 wide, the pig can barely move.

This is truly for the best, everything we have told you.

We don't want to discourage you from adopting, rather encourage you to do it RIGHT. The most right way. The best way.

If you can't build a c&c, order the midwest habitat cage. It's the biggest cage, for the least money. Although, if you looked hard enough, you could definitely build a c&c for that price, if not cheaper.

Could you slowly gather supplies? That's what I did with my pigs. My mom and I went out over a course of a month and gathered supplies every saturday, and on the last saturday we got the pigs. That way it wasn't a huge strain on finances at once.

Also, could you wait to get them until after christmas? You could ask for two pigs for christmas, or use the money to adopt two, and either build or order a proper cage :)

We just want to give you ideas to help.

CandyApple

Cavy Slave
Exactly madelineelaine /\

When I was 13, I saved well over 200 euro for hamster supplies, and mouse supplies as I had to buy literally every thing myself, and sure I managed. I don't see how you are any different... Am I misinterpeting something here?
I didn't even get a job... I just did house hold chores, and got paid for them.
As the above poster said, your not a kid, your 13... A teenager, and you should know by now that posting so rudely, is not acceptable, and you should listen to our advise. You asked a question. We answered it.
The cages are too small. You need two guinea pigs.
There. In those two sentences, I summarised what people are attempting to tell you. Think before you type, and read over what we said a few times.... It gives you invaluable information, and @ Lissie, pretty much handed you that cage on a plate! I really don't see why that cage isn't suitable. The whole lot comes in a package together, for 29 or 30 $, can't remember which. It gives your guinea pigs space, and you can feel free to expand. I see nothing wrong with it, yet all your doing is shouting at us to quit replying.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
I'm not completely sure if this has been pointed out but if a properly sized cage is to expensive then how do you plan on getting proper vet care should the need arise?

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I'm not completely sure if this has been pointed out but if a properly sized cage is to expensive then how do you plan on getting proper vet care should the need arise?

They stated:
If my guinea pig gets sick (which none of my pets ever have gotten sick) my mom has found a vet near by that can assist me and my piggy. And it'll be free because my mom and dad are friends with the vet. Unless the pet needs surgary it's going to be free for check-ups and cheaper meds if my piggy will need them

So, for the vets It should be okay but only if the Vet is an exotic vet who studied Cavys.
I would just like to point out in short bullet points.

If you can not pay for another pig, then how will you pay for:
- Fresh veges (It costs me around $60 - $80 a week, but I have 7 pigs in my care right now)
- Good pellets
- Good Hay
- CAREfresh or Aspen bedding, If you won't be using fleece. (As it gets rather expensive using those bedding's!)
- Hidey places (This is an one off thing though)

Also, just because none of your other pets have ever gotten sick means nothing; they are not guinea pigs, they have different immune systems. Every animal is different and if you ask me Guinea Pigs are expensive animals who are rather likely to sick at least once though-out their life.

ETA:
Either way the cages seemed pretty big to me.
Could you please explain to me how those (small) cages seem big to you, I would like to try and understand how you are seeing it.
Also, I'm just wandering why do you want a guinea pig?

I think they need a descent sized cage for:
- Doing running Laps and popcorning on their own time, not yours.
- To be healthy
- To have enough room for their food bowl, hay rack, hidey places, water bottle and any tunnels, or cuddle sacks, or other toys.
- To have a life worth living.

Last edited:

doglaurasmudge

Cavy Slave
How do you find us rude? We have apologised, said please, given you advice and your having a go at us? As for the age, your going on how your a 'CHILD', guess what! I'm younger, I'm 11, and yet I've done my research, which is something, you haven't. If you had, you would know guinea pigs NEED (not want, NEED) a friend! Also, I know those cages are TINY! They are far far far to small! As for prices, maybe a guinea pig isn't the right pet for you afterall? You apparantly have lots of other small pets, and I imagine they cost a lot, and adding one (hopefully two) shall add onto that. They need 24/7 hay, bedding costs (unless you use fleece) and so does veggies, which they need for their victim c diet, which is very important. How will you pay for all of that? I may sound a bit off polite there, but I'm annoyed that I'm younger but I did my research, planned everything and haven't accused anybody of doing something, they clearly haven't.

nibbler100

Cavy Slave
i dont mean to sound mean or rude but hear i go.
1.) all the cages are two small.. i have one of the so called rabbit cages and i wouldn't even let one of my rats live in it.. let alone a guinea pig.. or a rabbit.
2.) you should still look into getting a friend for your pig.. although you have other small animals nothing amounts to having your own kind around. i love animals and spend a majority of my time with my rats and guinea pigs but i need human time to.
3.) adoption is the best option and when it comes to piggies, C&C is the way to go.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Are you in the U.S.? You can build a c&c really inexpensively if you shop around for grids and coroplast or even just use a shower curtain as the liner. We can also probably help you find a pair of guinea pigs near you that cost less than the single one you're looking at. The good thing is, you're doing all your research ahead of time and you'll be a lot better prepared to care for them than if you bought one and housed it in a tiny cage. You'd probably end up with a sick, depressed animal. There is a lot of useful and accurate info on here if you take the time to read it. The end result will be a win-win situation for you and the guinea pigs.

iamsnape

Cavy Slave
I am sorry you have found some people's responses rude, it's not intentional, everyone on this site has a lot of experience with pigs and just have the best in mind. I have gone from having upset guinea pigs in a little pet store cage to a big c&c so trust me, it makes a difference.

If you can look around at getting supplies you can build your own c&c cage for very very little, and they're so easy to do. If you go to the home page of this site, it shows the recommended cage sizes for different amounts of guinea pigs. Pet store cages, with their tiny sizes, aren't good for a guinea pigs health as they do not have the space to run, play, or even get away from their poo.

I understand that you have a lot of animals but it is a fact that guinea pigs need a friend. Instinctively, they are herd animals, and are very social. Even though you may pet it lots, they need one of their own species to talk to and play with when you aren't there. It makes a huge difference to their health and their happiness. Lonely guinea pigs get depressed and may be more likely to get ill quicker. It's also said that a happy pig has a longer life span.

Please consider getting a good sizes cage and a second pig - second guinea pigs cost VERY little, just the bit of extra veggies. But it will be so worth it.
If your Mum says no please ask her to look at this site, do a bit of research, and explain to her how important it is. Both you and your pig will be so much happier if it isn't lonely.

I must point out that if you can't pay for this, please bare in mind the costs of:
bedding
veggies (they should have some daily because they can't produce their own vit c)
medicine if necessary
dry food/pellets
hay (which they should have access to 24/7)

I understand that you're young but there are plenty of things you could try and do for money - dog walking, car washing, general chores, even mowing lawns. Perhaps you could get a job doing something simple for a couple of hours a week.

I am going to say something you probably won't like - if you put your guinea pig in a cage that's way too small and don't want to get it a friend or even try it with another pig for your convenience rather than the pigs, then it is cruel and ignore the needs of the animal. It'd be like having a sick dog and leaving it to suffer. If you cannot provide these things for your guinea pig I would suggest getting another pet, like a syrian hamster, which are solitary and don't need massive cages.

Everyone on this thread who you think has been rude has been trying to help you. We all have the guinea pigs best interests in mind. Please remember that, especially when @lissie is a moderator and could have 'locked your thread' as you requested, but she didn't, because she wants to help the guinea pig you are going to get and help you in understanding those suprisingly complex little animals. Yes, nobody answered your original question, but that's because none of those cages are big enough. I would advise taking another look at the one lissie posted and having a look at buying your own materials to make one (I promise, it's dead easy). All you need are cubes, coroplast and some cable ties. I'm sure everyone could provide you with places to buy them.

EDIT: Now that I've said that I'm not actually sure if it's moderators or admins that lock threads. But even if lissie couldn't have, she is a valued member of this site with some fantastic advice to offer and a lot of experience with guinea pigs, so like I said, it would be worth taking a second look at the cage she linked you too because she did it for you and your guinea pigs benefit, not her own.

iamsnape

Cavy Slave
The people at "Hamster-Hideout" were so polite when i asked them about what to do with my 4 year old hamster (which is an old hamster that is living past his time)

Hamsters and guinea pigs are 2 very different animals with very different needs. Hamsters do not have to live with other hamsters, and do not need a lot of space. You have come to a guinea pig forum, to get advice on guinea pigs. Please understand that everything you are being told is factual information. Nobody is being rude or wants to be rude, we just want the best for your guinea pig and would like to help you provide that if possible, because we care about these animals. You may think we are being rude because you are now being told you were wrong with your original ideas and plans, but that's not the case. You have actually been quite rude in your replies saying nobody is helping you and refusing to listen to some very good advice. Please reconsider what has been said to you.

Once again...not trying to sound rude. I'm only trying to help.

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Could you please explain to me how those (small) cages seem big to you, I would like to try and understand how you are seeing it.

Not trying to defend the OP. I am actually REALLY against her owning this guinea pig since she CLEARLY isn't willing to purchase a large enough cage.
Anyways, when I 1st build Mr. Whistles his 2x4 C&C, it looked REALLY large to me. Before then, regular pet store cages looked pretty large to me. Especially when carrying and transporting one. When we have C&C cages, we get so used to the sizes that it really doesn't look that big to us. Anything smaller than what we currently have looks way too small. I can't imagine having anything less than a 2x5 C&C.

So to anyone whos never had a C&C cage, it is understandable why a pet store cage looks rather large. But I believe they need to accept the fact that guinea pigs have needs that NEED to be met. And once of them is a proper cage that not only houses them but gives them the space they need to run and be happy n healthy.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.