Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Genitals Is a white, smelly paste in a scrotal sac normal?

Cathryn

Cavy Slave
The more I think about it, the more it seems unlikely to be normal. However I just hesitate to take to a vet in case it is normal and he doesn't appear unhealthy. I am a novice Guinea pig owner so have not had a bore to compare to.

Current issue:
When I went to clean the scrotal sac out last year, I noticed I could gently squeeze a white paste out of his scrotal sac. It smelt quite strong, and not particularly pleasant.

When I evert the sac you can see it is full of the white paste. So much so that you have to wipe it off to see the scotal skin. It is very thick and will not wash off with water. Only comes off with soap and warm water. And using cotton wool to wipe.

Once you can see the skin underneath, I notice it is very leathery and tough. It appears wrinkly. Similar to sultanas texture.

The penis is clean and the anus is clean. All poops are soft, well formed and easily passed.

Past history:
He had a urinary infection last year, and one of his testicles felt swollen, with a pea size lump that was within the testicle, smooth and round.
The same paste was present in his scrotal sac, and his penis was red and inflamed and tender.
He was in pain when passing urine.

He had gone off his food and was severely dehydrated.

When the vet assessed him, they said to regularly feed him a special powder mix with water.
They suggested neutering to deal with the lump. And weren't sure if this could be the cause of his pain.

However with intense feeding, he became well again. I was washing his scrotal sac daily, and the penis had clearly recovered. The lump disappeared.

His current environment:
Since that time, a year ago, I have kept him on fleece bedding in his snuggle bed, with wood shavings bought from Petstock.

He eats rye hay and guniea pig pellets with added vitamin C.

Access to clean water, always. He mostly lives in an outside hutch with his fleece lined box bed. However when it is hot outside (over 28') or cold (below 10') he will stay inside in his wood shaving filled cage.

Any advice or feedback, comments, or anecdotes welcome ! Thanks.
[emoji194]

The white-ish goo/paste is completely normal. It is a natural grease they secrete from glands within the sac to keep everything lubricated and they use it to scent mark their territory (this is why you see boars rubbing their bums when scent marking). Some boars produce more of it then others.

It smells horrid, once again some boars smell worse then others, but you really should leave it. Cleaning him out too often (ie. when he doesn't have debris such as hair/hay/bedding/poop caught in his sac) can cause his muscles to weaken and his sac to stretch which will lead to him developing impaction issues.

The white-ish goo/paste is completely normal. It is a natural grease they secrete from glands within the sac to keep everything lubricated and they use it to scent mark their territory (this is why you see boars rubbing their bums when scent marking). Some boars produce more of it then others.

It smells horrid, once again some boars smell worse then others, but you really should leave it. Cleaning him out too often (ie. when he doesn't have debris such as hair/hay/bedding/poop caught in his sac) can cause his muscles to weaken and his sac to stretch which will lead to him developing impaction issues.
Thank you so much for helping me understand what is going on. It's a massive relief to know it's normal. Has made my day. Thank you for taking the time to explain. That has been on my mind as an added stess for months.
I will not obsessively clean, I'll just make sure there is no build up of stuff.
Thanks again !

Hi, yes it is normal.

We were just cleaning scrotal sac on one of our boys last night before his bath.
We didn't do it for almost 2 months and he had huge amounts of white smelly paste inside.
We usually check/clean it once a month.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.