Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Essential oil room spray

adeline13

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
They don't know yet they think it may be strangle because a bite abscess in two piggies is unusual so they have to get surgery remove it :(.My layers are doggie pads and then towels and them my two layers of fleece. @MrWhistles

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
How often do you do a full change? Do you have a huge kitchen? How often do you sweep the poos?

adeline13

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
How often do you do a full change? Do you have a huge kitchen? How often do you sweep the poos?

I currently dont have a special kitchen area, but i sweep the poo every day (sometimes i forget) and i do a full wash every week, but sometimes i cant because my mom is using the washing machine so it takes a few more days to get my load in.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
And that is why its stinky. You aren't changing it enough with 8 pigs in that small area. Even though its big 3x5, its still small for 8 pigs and only doing the cage once a week or so. You really should go to something like wood pellets. or expand the cage even more.

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave

adeline13

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
I know I'm on a tight budget but that's still no excuse it was bigger but I had to use other grids to icolatemy sick piggies

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
If you can't expand I don't think thats the main issue. If you're having smelly cages you need to do laundry twice a week instead of one.

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Sweeping poos twice a day instead of once a day would remove some smells.

ILovePiggies456

Cavy Slave
I've heard that using towels under the fleece stinks faster than using uhaul pads. Uhaul pads may help decrease the smell. Also, you don't need two layers of fleece. This may make it more difficult for the fleece to wick since the urine has to pass through an extra layer.

adeline13

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
How much are u-haul pads? Could I put a layer of towels then u-haul pads on the top then fleece. Also are you positive that I don't need two?

ILovePiggies456

Cavy Slave
They cost $7.95 each. Here's the link: https://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/Protective-stuff/Furniture-Pad?id=2670

You don't need a layer of towels with the uhaul pads. I have a 2 by 6 cc cage, and one uhaul pad folded in half (so, two layers) approximately fits the whole base (the pads vary slightly in size).

I'm 100% sure you don't need two layers of fleece. There's no point to it.

adeline13

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer

adeline13

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
But is it bad if i have two layers of fleece. Will it make it smell more if i do?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You don't need two layers of fleece. It won't work as well. When the fleece comes in contact with the urine and the absorbent layer underneath, it pulls the urine through the fleece to the absorbent layer. With two layers of fleece, the urine will puddle more on top of the fleece until enough finally soaks down to the absorbent layer. It just leaves more time for your pigs to run around on wet bedding.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Get rid of the towels totally. They stink super fast. Do NOT use towels. Absolutely switch to Uhaul. Find the money to buy them. Use 2 layers of Uhaul. ONE layer of fleece. Clean and launder more often than once a week. All as previously stated. Buy the uhaul BIG and wash and dry it at least once before cutting it to size because it will shrink. Also, dry it separately and be sure to clean the lint trap after drying for the first couple of washes and dries as it will throw off a lot of lint, but they are by far the best way to go.

Amberlily

Cavy Slave
I just wanted to say that essential oils are amazing and can be completely beneficial to you and your pets. I have been diffusing them in my house for years. I use them medically for myself and my children. I spray them on my dog to keep ticks off of her and they are the only things I use to clean my home with and haven't used cleaners in a long time. However, there are some important considerations. They must be from a trusted name and expelled by water and not chemicals. They also must be safe for animals. There are certain ones that are not only NOT beneficial to the animals but will cause distress. Even though I plan on continuing my use of essential oils, I do plan on researching which ones may have an ill effect on Guinea Pigs.

maddy harper

Cavy Slave
i disinfect my guineapig cage with dylooted tea tree oil as its a natural anti septic

i dyloot it with water.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.