Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

She’s here!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Umm..., @Guinea Pig Papa, washing your hands with antibacterial soap doesn't do anything except make more antibiotic-resistant strains of bacteria. It's not nearly strong enough to kill anything on your hands. You'd do better with soap and water.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Umm..., @Guinea Pig Papa, washing your hands with antibacterial soap doesn't do anything except make more antibiotic-resistant strains of bacteria. It's not nearly strong enough to kill anything on your hands. You'd do better with soap and water.

LOL I meant antifungal soap. LEVER 2000. :D

petluv

Cavy Slave
I haven’t gotten to spend much time with my sweet girl. My husband says she’s venturing out a little even though he’s there, and exercises a lot. She also is now eating red leaf lettuce in small pieces, which makes mommy happy. The best of all is when I came into the kitchen which is open to our living room, she started wheeking!!! she hasn’t done that much and it was for a good fifteen seconds or so. It was like “good morning mommy.” I didn’t know she knew my footsteps, I hadn’t talked. This makes me so happy she might be recognizing me now! Of course she ran and hid when I went over, but it’s big time progress in my book!

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
Awesome!!! Big time progress indeed :)

MaiaBex

Cavy Slave
So glad you finally got your gp baby! Abby is so sweet! And it's awesome that she's getting used to you... Tannim took a while with me. But now he actively looks for me and insists on his routines. He still makes me chase him around the cage to pick him up, but once I sit down with him, he melts into a little puddle of fur in my lap. And anymore I can't sit down on the sofa next to his cage without him running up and begging for some of my food. (His look of "Mama? Shaare? Pleeese?" is so adorable!) Give her a little time, and I'm sure Abby will be the same with you!

petluv

Cavy Slave
Eeeeeee! She squeaked again for me this morning when I got up and walked in the kitchen. She didn’t for my husband when he did the same. I really believe she knows my footsteps! She is all about lettuce now. That and baby carrots (I only let her have 1 a day as I know too much isn’t good.) Today I came up to the cage with the lettuce, and put it in her hidey, but then tugged it out a bit so she had to come get it. She was like fine just give me the goods. :p I got to hold her for a while before and after I cage cleaned. :love:She ran and then went still and I then picked her up. She didn’t freak out! She let me hold her for about thirty seconds both times. I’m in piggy mommy heaven:eek: I’m going to let her be the rest of the day until dinner. Between the cage clean and the holding her nerves are probably way overstimulated. Poor sweetie!

MaiaBex

Cavy Slave
Uber awesome! Yay! :cool:

petluv

Cavy Slave
I know I’m a paranoid new mom but my pig has sneezed twice today. Everything is normal appearance wise and she’s running laps right now. Should I be nervous? My husband had the temperature down last night (winter here) maybe that’s all it was? I told him we have to keep it at no lower than (69/70 Fahrenheit it was at 67) for her. Should I throw a blanket over 3 sides of her cage at night? Or will that make her too hot. I’d post this on medical but I got “in trouble” for having too many new threads. :eek:

ETA: I use paper bedding not wood chips if that makes a difference.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs originated in Andes mountains. We've had a pig on here that survived multiple nights in sub-freezing temperatures in a snow bank. My own house is set at 65 degrees in the winter. I seriously doubt that temps lower than 69-70 are going to bother your pigs. Unless they're skinnies, they're nothing but small balls of fat and fur, and higher temps are much more troublesome for them than lower ones.

i wouldn't worry about two sneezes. She may have just snuffled something up her nose. What you worry about are URI symptoms or the pig acting sick.

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
Like bpatters said, two sneezes is nothing to worry about for her :) URI symptoms are more excessively sneezing/ a runny nose/ become lethargic/ or eating less. If you've been sick, I think the general conclusion is guinea pigs can't catch human viruses, but it's possible for them to catch bacteria/infections. I'm quite paranoid myself and handle my piggies food etc as little as possible, keep my face away from them, and wash my hands constantly when I'm sick.
When I first got my Robin Hood he was about 6 weeks old and kept sneezing a lot (5/6 times in a day) , and I was SO worried. He showed no other URI symptoms, and after a few days the sneezes stopped. He's been the picture of health ever since!
We figured out what was causing may have been a mix of adjusting stress and this: when he drank from his guinea pig water bottle, his mouth was so little he'd end up getting a nose full of water as well, poor baby! lol We added a hamster sized one next to the guinea pig sized one, and he'd choose it instead; it stopped the accidental nose full of water.
Heat is much bigger danger than cold to piggies, the temps of your house sound like no problem at all. I use carefresh type paper bedding as well and it's never caused my piggies issues.
That's great she's eating carrots and red leaf--- try mixing in little bits of bell pepper now! Nearly all piggies adore it, and vitamin c is so important for them. The extra vitamin c they offer would be a nice precaution against her sneezes, too :)

petluv

Cavy Slave
Like bpatters said, two sneezes is nothing to worry about for her :) URI symptoms are more excessively sneezing/ a runny nose/ become lethargic/ or eating less. If you've been sick, I think the general conclusion is guinea pigs can't catch human viruses, but it's possible for them to catch bacteria/infections. I'm quite paranoid myself and handle my piggies food etc as little as possible, keep my face away from them, and wash my hands constantly when I'm sick.
When I first got my Robin Hood he was about 6 weeks old and kept sneezing a lot (5/6 times in a day) , and I was SO worried. He showed no other URI symptoms, and after a few days the sneezes stopped. He's been the picture of health ever since!
We figured out what was causing may have been a mix of adjusting stress and this: when he drank from his guinea pig water bottle, his mouth was so little he'd end up getting a nose full of water as well, poor baby! lol We added a hamster sized one next to the guinea pig sized one, and he'd choose it instead; it stopped the accidental nose full of water.
Heat is much bigger danger than cold to piggies, the temps of your house sound like no problem at all. I use carefresh type paper bedding as well and it's never caused my piggies issues.
That's great she's eating carrots and red leaf--- try mixing in little bits of bell pepper now! Nearly all piggies adore it, and vitamin c is so important for them. The extra vitamin c they offer would be a nice precaution against her sneezes, too :)

I think I might try the smaller bottle. She is at her 32oz water bottle a lot, but it only goes down a little bit. It is working right I’ve tested and tested it many times. It may be hard for her to push up the bigger metal balls, hence why she isn’t getting as much as she seems like she should be with all that work.

Still not not interested in peppers, but she would probably try to eat a whole bunch of leaf lettuce now if I let her. lol

Im sure it’s a matter of time most likely. The one I’m trying right now is orange. I wonder if the colors taste different? Maybe I should try a different color? Which do you have the best luck with?

petluv

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs originated in Andes mountains. We've had a pig on here that survived multiple nights in sub-freezing temperatures in a snow bank. My own house is set at 65 degrees in the winter. I seriously doubt that temps lower than 69-70 are going to bother your pigs. Unless they're skinnies, they're nothing but small balls of fat and fur, and higher temps are much more troublesome for them than lower ones.

i wouldn't worry about two sneezes. She may have just snuffled something up her nose. What you worry about are URI symptoms or the pig acting sick.

Thank you for letting me know that it’s not likely the house temp. This makes me feel better.

My my husband says he’s going to try to get her up on a table when he can get one. Hopefully that will help against drafts. I also drape a sheet over three sides of her cage when it’s night, to help keep the drafts off.

petluv

Cavy Slave
I’ve held her twice today. :love:About 5 minutes a piece. I had her in a towel so she’d feel more secure, but she still shook the whole time poor baby, I could feel it through the towel. Once I caught her eyes droop but she woke herself back up. It’s coming along day by day. I wish she didn’t have to feel so scared of people, that can’t be a pleasant existence for her. :sad:

petluv

Cavy Slave
How many days is a guinea pig pregnant before delivery? Unfortunately since we have no idea if she was exposed to a male piggy before her surrendering, this keeps coming up in the back of my mind. I figured we are safe if nothing happens by March 1st since we got her January 1st, is that about right?

petluv

Cavy Slave
How much water should a piggy be drinking a day?

MerryFriarTuck

Cavy Slave
I think I might try the smaller bottle. She is at her 32oz water bottle a lot, but it only goes down a little bit. It is working right I’ve tested and tested it many times. It may be hard for her to push up the bigger metal balls, hence why she isn’t getting as much as she seems like she should be with all that work.

Still not not interested in peppers, but she would probably try to eat a whole bunch of leaf lettuce now if I let her. lol

Im sure it’s a matter of time most likely. The one I’m trying right now is orange. I wonder if the colors taste different? Maybe I should try a different color? Which do you have the best luck with?

The amount of water guinea pigs drink depends on the piggy and varies by the day, much like people. I think the average is around 8 ounces. How much does the water level go down for her?

I have Happy Home water bottles, and with a light touch the water drips/flows out right away. I actually got them at Walmart, but they're BPA free and made in the USA.

If you're worried she isn't getting enough water, you can give her high water content veggies like lettuce and cucumber, or get any vegetable really wet before giving it to her. Also remember the more high water/wet veggies she eats the less water she'll drink, because she's already getting it from them :)

It took my Robin Hood a little time to warm up to eating bell peppers, too. I just kept mixing small pieces in with things he did eat. Mine both love yellow ones the most...and Robin Hood has a sweet tooth so he also loves the red ones. Red and orange are higher in sugar, so they can't have a lot of them constantly. But I give mine both yellow and green every day!

petluv

Cavy Slave
The amount of water guinea pigs drink depends on the piggy and varies by the day, much like people. I think the average is around 8 ounces. How much does the water level go down for her?

I have Happy Home water bottles, and with a light touch the water drips/flows out right away. I actually got them at Walmart, but they're BPA free and made in the USA.

If you're worried she isn't getting enough water, you can give her high water content veggies like lettuce and cucumber, or get any vegetable really wet before giving it to her. Also remember the more high water/wet veggies she eats the less water she'll drink, because she's already getting it from them :)

It took my Robin Hood a little time to warm up to eating bell peppers, too. I just kept mixing small pieces in with things he did eat. Mine both love yellow ones the most...and Robin Hood has a sweet tooth so he also loves the red ones. Red and orange are higher in sugar, so they can't have a lot of them constantly. But I give mine both yellow and green every day!
Oh my goodness 8oz? My sweetie drinks maybe 1-2. And she spends a lot of time trying. It works for me, but maybe it’s just two heavy of balls for her. Should I take her to the vet ASAP? I thought of putting a water bowl in there. I know they aren’t the most sanitary, but obviously she doesn’t get the bottle. I’m very worried now.:(

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
8 ounces is a LOT of water. I don't think both of my boys put together drink that in a WEEK. Every pigs water consumption is different. I did find that when Sly was nearing a molar surgery, he would drink a lot more water to try and combat the mouth pain. But he would still never, ever drink 8oz in a day.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.