Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Vegetables Fed my Piggie bazel when I heard wheeling... And then shrieking

DroidGuineaPig

Cavy Slave
I fed my Piggie Pebbles a leaf of bazel then I heard him wheek for more but then the wheeks got louder. Pebbles was going crazy running around the cage wheeling the loudest I've heard him wheek when all of a sudden I heard the one noise that no Cavy owner wants to hear, A SHREIK. So pretty much he was wheeking but every few seconds he would let out a EXTREMLY loud shriek. Anyone now what this is? Has anyone experienced this before?

Rywen

Cavy Slave
That sounds scary! Basil should be safe, is there any chance it had pesticides or something else on it? Or maybe it wasn't basil? Just don't feed him any more of it. I hope he's okay!

Comely Guineas

Cavy Slave
Continue to feed him the basil as long as it has been washed. Basil is safe for guinea pigs. I believe your pig was just extremely excited for the basil, my pigs absolutely love basil and most herbs it is their favourite food. My pigs will wheek like crazy for that as well. Are you feeding him plenty of fresh veggies every day? (1 cup of veggies?) and pellets/unlimited hay? I'm just asking because maybe he was so excited cause' he hasn't got a suitable diet. If you are though, I'd say it's just one happy piggy :)

HollyLeaf

Cavy Slave
Maya will shriek sometimes when I walk into my room, because she always thinks it's veggie time. And her wheeks are not normal sounding, lol. They are more like shrieks, or a screeching bird, maybe nails on chalkboard. It's ear piercing sometimes, but its adorable nonetheless. She was very deprived of veggies in her previous home, based on her reactions to first being given them here.

I'd say your pig is just fine. Just being a spaz, I suppose.

DroidGuineaPig

Cavy Slave
That sounds scary! Basil should be safe, is there any chance it had pesticides or something else on it? Or maybe it wasn't basil? Just don't feed him any more of it. I hope he's okay!
I don't think so but anyway why would he shriek

DroidGuineaPig

Cavy Slave
maya will shriek sometimes when i walk into my room, because she always thinks it's veggie time. And her wheeks are not normal sounding, lol. They are more like shrieks, or a screeching bird, maybe nails on chalkboard. It's ear piercing sometimes, but its adorable nonetheless. She was very deprived of veggies in her previous home, based on her reactions to first being given them here.

I'd say your pig is just fine. Just being a spaz, i suppose.
thank you thats a huge relief

DroidGuineaPig

Cavy Slave
Continue to feed him the basil as long as it has been washed. Basil is safe for guinea pigs. I believe your pig was just extremely excited for the basil, my pigs absolutely love basil and most herbs it is their favourite food. My pigs will wheek like crazy for that as well. Are you feeding him plenty of fresh veggies every day? (1 cup of veggies?) and pellets/unlimited hay? I'm just asking because maybe he was so excited cause' he hasn't got a suitable diet. If you are though, I'd say it's just one happy piggy :)
No he gets unlimetid hay/1/4 cup of pellets a day + 1 cup of veggies a day I was just scared since I heard shrieking.

Comely Guineas

Cavy Slave
I wasn't accusing you of not providing him an adequate diet, I was just saying any possibilities for the shrieking. So she's just excitable :)

Rywen

Cavy Slave
@DroidGuineaPig I assumed you meant shrieking in pain or distress. Was he just wheeking loudly? One of mine has a very loud and piercing wheek when she gets going, it's rare but it's funny when it happens. She always looks so surprised.

maddy harper

Cavy Slave
My Chock's got a loud wheek on him sometimes it sounds like a whistleing kettle lol

DroidGuineaPig

Cavy Slave
@DroidGuineaPig I assumed you meant shrieking in pain or distress. Was he just wheeking loudly? One of mine has a very loud and piercing wheek when she gets going, it's rare but it's funny when it happens. She always looks so surprised.
I'm pretty sure this was pain or distress I've NEVER heard him wheek like this.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Is he okay tonight? Just don't feed him basil again, maybe he didn't like the aftertaste or something. He won't notice or miss it. Mine love cilantro, maybe try a bit of that instead.

DroidGuineaPig

Cavy Slave
Is he okay tonight? Just don't feed him basil again, maybe he didn't like the aftertaste or something. He won't notice or miss it. Mine love cilantro, maybe try a bit of that instead.
This isn't the first time hes had bazel but this is the first time hes freaked out.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.