Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Feet Victoria's Thread - Funny walk?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You can soak feet in Epsom salts if they have no wounds. You just have to be extra vigilant that the pig doesn drink any of it, and that you wash it off carefully when you're done. An upside down bottle cap makes a good foot bath.

But the antibiotics will do the most good.

Nannub

Cavy Slave
Awesome, thanks for the info. Another question. We finally got BeneBac on the mail today, we got the little tubes. I was reading that a little bit of the size of a pea/corn once a day is ok? Is this correct? How do you use it? Thanks @bpatters

Nannub

Cavy Slave
My fiancé and I are having an argument over how Bene Bac has to be administered. Package says once every three days but reading the forums says 1-2 hours after antibiotics. Can anyone clarify this information? Thanks.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I clarified it on GL, and we've said it at least 4,000 times here -- one to two hours after every dose of antibiotics.

Nannub

Cavy Slave
I clarified it on GL, and we've said it at least 4,000 times here -- one to two hours after every dose of antibiotics.
Yeah thanks @bpatters, we got into a huge fight because I trust your knowledge and he says I should talk to a vet. Lol

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Even some good vets will tell you that probiotics aren't needed, that they don't survive the stomach acid and thus never get to the intestines. But I beg to differ. Not only do my pigs do much better when given Bene-Bac after antibiotics, but I once had a months-long bout with diarrhea cured by probiotics. I'd lost 30-40 pounds, and nothing was doing any good. My gastroenterologist recommended a particular brand, and the diarrhea was completely gone in less than a week.

Nannub

Cavy Slave
Even some good vets will tell you that probiotics aren't needed, that they don't survive the stomach acid and thus never get to the intestines. But I beg to differ. Not only do my pigs do much better when given Bene-Bac after antibiotics, but I once had a months-long bout with diarrhea cured by probiotics. I'd lost 30-40 pounds, and nothing was doing any good. My gastroenterologist recommended a particular brand, and the diarrhea was completely gone in less than a week.

We asked our vet when she gave Victoria the antibiotics and she said that she never had any issues giving Baytril to pigs in the past without a probiotic but if we still wanted to use one we could get the OTC acidophilus. Now that we got the. beneBac My fiancé is worried because he thinks we should follow the instructions in the package or ask the vet about this particular probiotic and that not following the instructions could affect her in a bad way. From what I was reading on GL probiotics can only help. I'll call the vet again this morning and ask :|

Nannub

Cavy Slave
@bpatters called the vet today and she said exactly what you said. So we'll keep using BeneBac daily after the dose of Baytril.

Nannub

Cavy Slave
Victoria's Thread - Funny walk?So now my pig's front paw is all swollen and she won't put any weight on it. She was walking yesterday and now she has this. Could this be bumblefoot too? She's still on baytril and metacam. Other than that she seems fine.

Nannub

Cavy Slave
Victoria's Thread - Funny walk?

She seems to have lost hair? Could this be mites?

lisa325

Cavy Slave
I feel so bad for you and little Victoria, I can imagine how drained you must be feeling, it's a long road to her recovery. I just wanted to say you are in my thoughts and I hope she beats this really soon so you can both have a break from the stress of it all <3.

Nannub

Cavy Slave
I feel so bad for you and little Victoria, I can imagine how drained you must be feeling, it's a long road to her recovery. I just wanted to say you are in my thoughts and I hope she beats this really soon so you can both have a break from the stress of it all <3.

Thank you so much!!! I hope she recovers soon too! We called the vet. She said since it's a long treatment (2-6 weeks for antibiotics) she believes that whatever causes the bumblefoot migrated to get front paw and that the treatment would be the same that we're doing right now so unless she gets worse or she stops eating, pooping, we shouldn't take her in. She's almost recovered from the bumblefoot in her back legs. So she's still on Baytril and Metacam. Both my fiance and I are exhausted. We love our pigs :)

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
Poor Victoria can't catch a break! Bumblefoot is a nightmare, but you'll beat it eventually!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nannub

Cavy Slave
Poor Victoria can't catch a break! Bumblefoot is a nightmare, but you'll beat it eventually!

Yeah, my poor little Victoria has had a rough month! Hopefully she'll start feeling better soon. We're on our third week of Baytril at the moment and with the recent events we probably have a few more weeks to finish the treatment.

Nannub

Cavy Slave
Hi guys,

A little update: we're still fighting Bumblefoot.... It's been almost a month since we started the treatment. Even though her back legs are getting better she has no strenght on them and the infection had a chance to spread to one of her front paws.... Swelling is down on the front paw and her back legs are getting better every day. Anyway, she's at 636grams right now, eating and pooping normally.... she's also eating critical care but we don't know how to help her gain weight. She was at 693grams a month ago when she got sick. So we don't know if this is normal for her situation or she should be eating more stuff... We appreciate any advice.

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
It's very hard to get an adult pig to gain weight, unfortunately. A more reasonable goal is to stop or slow the loss. She is a very small girl, though... poor baby.

You could try unlimited pellets, it sounds like calcium is a secondary concern to the weight loss. Also, I don't remember if she's on a probiotic, you should try that if she's not. Good luck!

Nannub

Cavy Slave
It's very hard to get an adult pig to gain weight, unfortunately. A more reasonable goal is to stop or slow the loss. She is a very small girl, though... poor baby.

You could try unlimited pellets, it sounds like calcium is a secondary concern to the weight loss. Also, I don't remember if she's on a probiotic, you should try that if she's not. Good luck!

She's taking Benebac. She was always small. Her heaviest was a little over 700 but she was never over than 750. Ww switched to KMS because she stopped eating Oxbow pellets a month or two ago. So did her cagemate. So sad that is such a slow process... so frustrating!!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.