Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

This Is An Issue That I Have Been Meaning To Address

Status
Not open for further replies.

mariahangeli

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Hello,

The main reason I have joined this site is to express my extreme disagreement with the use of cages without tops, lids, ceilings, or whatever you want to call them. I think it is disgusting that anyone would consider doing this. My first reason is, if the cage does not have a top, a guinea pig may try to climb over it and escape. This is a problem because they can become injured in the process. While they are trying to climb over the cage, their paws may become stuck in the bars of the cage. They may also injure their backs. Their backs/spines are very delicate and built differently. Also, if the cage is on a table or high surface, the fall may cause death or injury. If they survive the fall without any harm done to them, the next question is, is the house guinea pig proofed? What happens if the guinea pig bites a wire and gets electrocuted or eats a harmful object. If there are any other pets in the house, will they cause harm to the guinea pig or spread disease? What if it is late at night and you step on your guinea pig? What if he or she escapes outside?
Anyways, I am just trying to say it is not only dangerous to not have a top on your guinea pig's cage, it is stupid and lazy. If you have a cage like this, I recommend fixing the issue as soon as possible. If you are too lazy to open the door to the cage or unattach a part of the cage to have access to him or her, then obviously you shouldn't have adopted a guinea pig. If you didn't already realize the possible things that could have occurred from the cage you have in use, then you don't know enough about guinea pigs to own them. I personally believe you are a monster for this misuse of cages and mistreatment of guinea pigs. I love my guinea pig Reese and I can assure you he is in a more than safe and stable environment.

Last edited by a moderator:

scruffytufty

Cavy Slave
well i use a c&c cage thanks to this wonderful site, my guineas cant even reach the top of the cubes, never mind jumping them, it is not stupid or lazy to not have a lid, if you dont need one then you dont need one.

Colorado Cavies

Cavy Slave
Clearly the only reason you joined the site is to insult people.

There is no need for a top unless you have other animals in the house that could cause harm to your guinea pigs or you have a really adventurous piggy. They aren't like rats, they can't climb a cage wall like other rodents. There are very few that are even inclined to try escaping.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
Okay. Uhm, I don't know how to respond to this.

Since we're pointing fingers, how big is YOUR wonderful cage? since you're so PERFECT and we clearly hate animals and want to abuse them and torture them.

I LOVE my pigs more then anything and I would never ever endanger them, I have had my pigs in this cage for months and months. They have never climbed the bars. Take a look at your guinea pig for me. They have a large trunk, and short stubby legs. They are not built to climb. And when you have coroplast that goes 5-6 inches up the cage, they have no access to wires to even put there bottom feet on.

If my cage wasn't safe, I would have seen so by now. There are thousands upon thousands of people that use these cages, all with great success. The only way an animal will get hurt is if the owner does something irresponsible, or places something in the cage that is unsafe for the animals.

I can respect your opinion, and everyone is entitled to it, but don't you dare call me lazy. I do so much for my animals. I grow them grass indoors for the winters. I climb into my large cage and sweep daily. I give them oodles of cuddles. I drive to farmers to get hay. I sew them beds and give them love. I clean there water bottles and bowls.

Laziness is being stubborn and narrow minded, laziness is neglecting your pig, not bothering to give them veggies. Laziness if putting your desires before the animals needs.

traceyennis

Cavy Slave
Wow! I think you've done this thread for no other reason than to provoke people and so because of that I'm not the least bit offended of what you think of me having an open cage! The only effect your post has had on me is to make me laugh at how absurd you are being!

mariahangeli

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Have you realized that guinea pigs grow quickly and can stretch to more than twice their size? My guinea pig is in well ventilated and safe plastic tote while we clean his cage and bedding. Even when was a young cavy, he was able to stretch to the top of the tote. They are also very strong animals. They can easily knock over or tip objects. Did you know that they are able to jump? This can especially become a problem when they are able to climb on an object close to the edge of their cage and jump out or reach the top of the cage. I firmly believe you are extremely misinformed if you believe these little piggies are not capable of escaping or need the extra protection. Also, what will prevent another pet from jumping in the cage? How hard would it be for a dog or cat to jump in a cage if there is no top to it? I know that my dog is personally more than capable of doing something like that.

ZenMama

Cavy Slave
As far as I know, most people who have cats or dogs have tops on their cages. I have not seen one person say that they leave the top off for their other pets to have access to the guinea pigs.

Are you an animal behaviorist? Do you have some kind of college degree?

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
I don't have any other animals, so I have no reason to have a closed cage.

Do you realize that most totes are way to small for pigs? Do you realize they need 7.5 sq feet + in order to thrive? Do you realize they should be kept in pairs?

Before you start pointing fingers, perhaps you should re asses your current situation.

I do not understand the point of posting on this forum when 99% of us are dedicated to the C&C cage idea. It is the best cage available, and it really doesn't require a top.

I know pigs can reach the top, but mine have nothing to stand on in order to climb out. When Izzy is on her very tip toes she can reach 1 square above the top. That doesn't mean she will escape.

mariahangeli

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
This was not meant to offend anyone at all. In my mind it is to protect the cavy. By the way, the cage is eighty four inches long by fourty eight inches wide by eighteen inches tall. The care he has is incomparable to most. He has several meals of fresh vegetable and fruit daily. This also includes top grade timothy hay. The more we know about these little creatures and the information we share, can only lead to a better life for the cavies. My philosophy makes me feel secure in my cavies habitat and let's him have a care free life.

mariahangeli

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Did you realize the tote is just for when we clean the cage?

ZenMama

Cavy Slave
Except you apparently don't know or care that they are herd animals, and need to be kept at least in pairs. You also don't seem to know that fruit should be a rare part of a meal, not fed daily. Please post pictures of your miraculous cage, and more details of the diet.

T.HayLover

Cavy Slave
Seriously? This is coming from someone who uses a plastic tote. Every tote I've seen is only big enough for a hamster cage. Did you even try a C&C cage before? Because if you haven't, I don't see how you could say all of these things without knowing about them with your own experience.

I'm not trying to be mean, I just want to know why you feel this way and if you can back it up.

Sorry, I didn't see that you use the tote for other purposes.

mariahangeli

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
[h=3]la·zy/ˈlāzē/
[/h]
Adjective:

1. Unwilling to work or use energy: "he was too lazy to cook".
  2. Characterized by lack of effort or activity.

Hence, not wanting to put the effort in to clean a cage with a top,

mariahangeli

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
THE TOTE IS JUST FOR WHEN WE CLEAN THE CAGE! I am more than well aware that they are supposed to be kept in pairs. He was alone in the cage at petco and this was just before they closed their store around my area.

Colorado Cavies

Cavy Slave

I think it is disgusting that anyone would consider doing this.

Anyways, I am just trying to say it is not only dangerous to not have a top on your guinea pig's cage, it is stupid and lazy.

If you are too lazy to open the door to the cage or unattach a part of the cage to have access to him or her, then obviously you shouldn't have adopted a guinea pig. If you didn't already realize the possible things that could have occurred from the cage you have in use, then you don't know enough about guinea pigs to own them. I personally believe you are a monster for this misuse of cages and mistreatment of guinea pigs. I love my guinea pig Reese and I can assure you he is in a more than safe and stable environment.

how exactly is that not offensive and rude? I would love to see what it takes for you to consider it offensive since telling us we are all stupid, lazy and abusing our pigs is apparently you being polite.

traceyennis

Cavy Slave
@mariahangeli How can you say you don't mean to offend when you have said people who don't have lids on cages are stupid and lazy, shouldn't have adopted a pig, and that they're monsters? I think you need some lessons on etiquette.

mariahangeli

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
I am 100% sure not everyone here doesn't use a top to their cage.

Colorado Cavies

Cavy Slave
That doesn't mean we are monsters. And calling us such over and over is most likely going to get you banned for harassment so tone it down. Having a differing opinion is one thing but calling everyone who doesn't have a lid a monster who all but abuses their animal is not alright.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
are you aware that buying from a petstore is just about the worst thing you can do for the health of your pet and other guinea pigs?

I agree, please post pictures of your miraculous cage.

I understand you have your own opinion, really, but this is pointless.

Pigs ARE herd animals. Buying from a petstore and keeping a long pig is just about the worst thing in my books right now, next to improper nutrition and lack of hay (although you claim you do neither of these.)

mariahangeli

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
You can ban me all you want but when your guinea pigs die from their owners being careless then you will learn,

Status
Not open for further replies.