Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Trust issues?

Little One

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone! I'm a new pig owner and new to the site, so go easy on me :)

I seem to be having a hard time figuring my pig Herman out. He doesn't really move much in his cage, he spends most of his time hiding away in his hay tunnel. When I try to get him out he usually rumbles at me, he doesn't even come out for veggies. I have tried hand feeding him veggies, and talking to him but have had no such luck. When I do get him out for play time, he runs to a hiding place and does not come out. Not even for a piece of carrot or celery leaves, which are his favourite. He is very cuddly, once we have gone through the dance of me getting him out of hiding and out of his cage, he cuddles right up against me and makes happy squeaking noises, but he seems to have this fear of doing anything, and I'm running out of ideas. Herman did come from a home where he didn't get much , if any, play time and he lived outside in a cage he could hardly turn around in. I'm wondering if this is part of the reason he doesn't seem to do anything. I'm not sure how old he is, I'm guessing 2 or maybe 3. I've had him for almost 4 months now. He is still in a petstore cage (but a larger one) because I'm still in the process of building his new large cage (almost done yay!). Because he's in a petstore cage I try to get him and his buddy out for lots of floor time.
Any suggestions? Ideas? Thoughts? I'm really running out of ideas.

Agrimony

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
From the situation you described that he came from he's probably still getting used to things and may still be nervous from that. Can't quite tell from your post but does his buddy live with him?

Little One

Cavy Slave
Yes, he has been living with his buddy Zazu for three weeks now and they get along very well. I've had Zazu for about a month and he is nothing like Herman at all. Very friendly, always runs over to see me, loves to explore, run laps and popcorn.

cassielfsw

Cavy Slave
Do Herman and Zazu have floor time together? If I put Jadzia on the floor someplace she's not familiar with, she'll just sit there, but if Ezri is with her she'll run off and explore and Jadzia will follow her.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
I think they need time. Pigs are prey animals, some take a while to warm up.

From my experience, no pig enjoys being picked up (except maybe a very sleepy pig that doesn't want to put up a fight).

deardulcie

Cavy Slave
Agreed. Even my oldest pig, Flora, doesn't like to be picked up. Philomena hides, and Fenella screams like she's getting crucified. Once they get to the lap/play pen/school enclosure...no prob. Catching them? Different story.

Little One

Cavy Slave
Thanks for your replies guys, I will just keep being patient with him.

Yea they have floor time together too. Zazu will usually explore and look around, Herman will just watch him from a safe hiding place.

havepeace

Cavy Slave
Yeah, I agree with most people, he's just probably nervous. Try handfeeding him some vegetables and talk to him in a soft voice... it works. Just give it some time and surely he'll warm up to you. Lastly, does he have a cage mate? If not it would be good to consider getting one, it could help him relax a bit if he had a friend.

aeiou

Cavy Slave
I used to have the same problem with my big scaredy cat Izzy! I got her two baby buddies and that sort of "woke" her up and she stepped up to take care of them and that sort of mellowed her out a bit. Lots of hand feeding too. Its kind of funny when I hold out a piece of lettuce and Skye comes right over and chomps away. You can just see the jealousy on her face! She sort of slowly inches over and takes a bite and then she munches away like a champ! Also, she used to freak when you got her near her cage, lots of scratching trying to jump into her cage! So i hold her above her cage until she settles down, then closer until she settles down, then put her feet on the ground and wait til she stops kicking! Now, when I pick her up she doesn't freak. She usually runs into her wood house, but then I just slide my hand under her belly, and hold the house with my other hand, and lift both up at the same time then pull the hut away and she just waits for me to plop her in my lap! Patience patience patience is all you can have! Took three months and lots of scratches and even a scar before she calmed down just that little bit! She still flips out when I roll over in my sleep. XD its kinda funny sometimes.

Cavy Treenie

Cavy Slave
My girl Carmelle was the exact same way. She was afraid and she was kept with about 2-3 other pigs, so we got her a friend (Treenie) to help with her fear. Once Treenie and Carmelle were introduced they became best pals. Treenie was outgoing and friendly and Carmelle was shy and wary. I guess opposites attract!

Little One

Cavy Slave
Also, she used to freak when you got her near her cage, lots of scratching trying to jump into her cage! So i hold her above her cage until she settles down, then closer until she settles down, then put her feet on the ground and wait til she stops kicking! Now, when I pick her up she doesn't freak.

Yes Herman does the same thing! As long as his cage is in view he starts wiggling and scratching me until I put him down. I will try your tip about putting him back, I'm sick of being scratched up every time I put him back lol. His buddy Zazu is so much more brave. He has no problem coming over to see me, he runs all over the place when they have floor time. He even chases the cat! When I hand Zazu some veggies, Herman does get jealous and he's even starting to come over and get a nibble too :) I'll just keep being patient with him.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.