Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

I made a mistake... ACCIDENTAL LITTER!

LordOfThePigs

Cavy Slave
I would like to apologize. I should have listened to you and adopted from a rescue. It's my fault this happened and I feel terrible. I got a larger cage...I got another pig...I introduced them properly, but turns out "Misa" was misgendered and turned out to be male. Cookie is now pregnant. I'm sure of it. I need help. I don't know anything about guinea pig pregnancy. I don't know anything about breeding. This was an accident, and I need you guys to tell me everything you know about guinea pig pregnancy and birth. I'm getting Misa, renamed Milk, neutered either this month or next and will be keeping the parents, and depending on the size of the litter, the babies as well. Thank you all...I'll be listening to this forums advice from now on, as I should have from the beginning.

Icarus_Hermes

Cavy Slave
I can't help on the pregnancy advice. Just a thought if you plan on keeping the babies, maybe hold off on neutering in case one of the babies is male too; dad and son could live together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lilycollegepig

Cavy Slave
It's ok. I promise you that. My roommate's pig was from a pet store, as was mine. I have made that mistake too. It's hard to resist sometimes. Also, my roommate's guinea pig is pregnant as she was misgendered and kept in a cage with males and is a female, causing her to get pregnant really early in her life. I would say go to a vet and get her checked out and make sure that everything is alright with the pups and the mom. We are doing the same. They will give you more information on things to expect. Make sure you always keep food in the cage cause she is going to eat more now that she is sharing it with some babies. The mom will usually take care of everything involving the birth unless there is an issue so keep an emergency vet on standby just in case. Good luck to you.

Saylavi

Cavy Slave
I would still go through with the neutering, the female can get pregnant again as soon as she gives birth, so... I' id try to set up another cage for the daddy pig and any eventual future boys

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I think she has two females, @Saylavi. The pregnant one got that way at the pet store, or before.

Baelfire2111

Cavy Slave
Don't worry. What do you want to know? It's kind of a 'got the T-Shirt' situation for me.

I also made the mistake of buying a guinea pig from a pet shop some time ago, before I knew any better. He has unfortunately passed away from an infection caused by the bacteria there. I won't make the same mistake again.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.