Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Liners I hope this works

MLT2007

Cavy Slave
I got my first Uhaul pads, which will be put in the cage tomorrow morning. I sure hope they work as well as everyone says they do because I would like to get more and start changing out my fleece every other day. I can't handle any amount of odor. The fleece I have now is custom sewn for my cage and is expensive. For the amount I pay for one cage liner I can buy 3 Uhaul pads and some fleece, and still have some money to spare!

I hope they work too! I keep meaning to get some...

Make sure and wash and dry them at least three times before you cut! I didn't and mine shrank at least 2-3 inches :( They are wonderful, though! I go at least 7 days between big cleanings and don't smell a thing (with 2 boys).

Make sure and wash and dry them at least three times before you cut! I didn't and mine shrank at least 2-3 inches :( They are wonderful, though! I go at least 7 days between big cleanings and don't smell a thing (with 2 boys).
I did wash and dry them before I cut (read it on here :)). 7 days?! Wow! I would love to be able to go that long. Now I'm super excited to get started.

I've read really good things about the Uhaul pads and will definitely be ordering some. I was just using towels because of the rave reviews, but noticed they get really wet really quickly and I felt like I just HAD to change them daily. Now I have two layers of towels with a cage liner on top, then fleece. Then in their main potty area another cage liner covered in fleece. I think once I get the Uhaul pads, I'll make an all-in-one fleece-wrapped Uhaul mat for their main potty area. Well, probably a couple to make switching those out easier. :)

changing the fleece every other day sounds like a lot of work, if you're changing a whole cage :eye-poppi that's dedication!

luckily my piggies use their litter boxes and pee mainly on the 2nd floor, so i have to shift the second floor bedding every 2-3 days and the fleece every 4-5 days depending on the smell. hope the uhaul pad works well for you :D

Did you purchase them online, by chance? The dealers around here to not offer them, and in order to calculate shipping I have to enter my credit card number. I don't really want to do all that just to see how much shipping is, since I'm going back home for summer in a few weeks and will have more options for uHaul dealers. |
Thanks!

I love the uhaul blankets. The fleece is what bothers me. I can see the pee and I have one piggie that is very dirty and he likes to be EVERYWHERE. But even then I wash once a week. I am sensitive to smells. I even hate the smell of the hay. But animal smells bother me the most!

I did wash and dry them before I cut (read it on here :)). 7 days?! Wow! I would love to be able to go that long. Now I'm super excited to get started.

I go 5 days. and no smell. The uhaul blankets are awesome.

@NM_MOM Did you wick your fleece, by washing it three times in hot water with vinegar? I've never seen pee on the fleece. not unless they are those small white spots, and that's rare.

I go 5 days. and no smell. The uhaul blankets are awesome.

@NM_MOM Did you wick your fleece, by washing it three times in hot water with vinegar? I've never seen pee on the fleece. not unless they are those small white spots, and that's rare.
I did, but my dirty pig has sludgy pee. Not always but sometimes, It's not super obvious, but I can see it. But when you wick fleece you use soap and vinegar right? or wrong?

I did, but my dirty pig has sludgy pee. Not always but sometimes, It's not super obvious, but I can see it. But when you wick fleece you use soap and vinegar right? or wrong?

yes, that's what I do. Normal amount of laundry soap, and 1 cup of vinegar. On hot, three times.

oh i failed. I used just warm. :/

oh i failed. I used just warm. :/
I wonder how much of a difference that really makes? It's not too late to do it again. It's worth a shot! Let me know if it works better, if you do.

so can you get these pads at any uhaul place? is there a specific kind or if i go in and ask for a moving pad will they know? my boys smell like...... boys.... lol

so can you get these pads at any uhaul place? is there a specific kind or if i go in and ask for a moving pad will they know? my boys smell like...... boys.... lol
Actual Uhaul dealers have them usually. We have like auto mechanics near here you can rent a uhaul truck from, but they are just a subcontractor type of thing. It has to be an actual uhaul place, in my experience. You go in and ask for Uhaul Furniture moving pads. They cost $7.95 here. :)

Oh, yea see I ask because there's a uhaul like down the street pretty much.... I'll have to go check it out.

Oh, yea see I ask because there's a uhaul like down the street pretty much.... I'll have to go check it out.
Sometimes they will donate the old old blankets (works just as well) to animal shelters. If you ask they may give you some of the old ones for free and tell them that they are for your pets.

Wow. I get such good suggestions from this site. I will have to pick some up and try them for myself.

Well...its been a week since your first post. I am dying to know how it worked out for you?? I use the Uhaul blankets and love them. In fact, usually cage cleaning day is on Saturday however I have had some things come up the past few days and haven't gotten to clean the girls cage yet (3 girls in a 2x5) and still no smell! I am still amazed that it is staying so clean and dry.

I am cleaning tonight however cause I feel really guilty about making them wait so long. Oh how they love new clean fleece!! haha

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.