Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy and Piggies?

KristenMatejka

Cavy Slave
As we all know, life happens...and well I would like all of my fellow cavie slaves opinions...I just found out today that I am pregnant and I am not one of those that will get rid of an animal because of a baby on the way. But for those of you with experiance with young children/babies and piggies I would like your opinion and advice. the pregnancy wasn't expected or planned and well I'm trying to plan for the future so I'll know what I can do to make it easier to care for my pigs after the baby arrives.

Thank you in advance.

trista81

Cavy Slave
First off let me say congrats to you! You probley have lots of anxiety just wondering how it will all fit in, but i promise it will, once you have your own routine everything will fall in place, trust me. I'm a mom of 4 kids, 12, 8, 4 and 3 years old, i've been a stay at home mom for about 4 years and recently just started working, i was so stressed out at first with taking care of my piggies, dog, cat and kids on top of trying to keep a house clean and getting the kids off to 3 different schools, but after the first stressful week it all fell into place! You'll be fine! And congrats again!

KristenMatejka

Cavy Slave
Thank you, I do appreciate it! I'm currently working full time and I have my guinea pigs, 2 cats, and doing all the house work by myself...Just nervous because this is my first pregnancy, but we are excited. Can anything with the pigs be dangerous to me while pregnant? I now wear gloves when I'm cleaning the cat box out and wash my hands thoroughly afterwards, should I do the same when spot cleaning the pigs cages? Also with the cages it takes me about 45 minutes a day to take each cage down and vaccumn them out and tidy everything up and refill hay bins, food bowls, and water bottles. the cages are stacked on top of one another so it makes it difficult to dy by myself. I was thinking about putting them on the ground instead and just combining the girls cages together so I wouldnt have to continuously take the cages down each day....Any ideas? Got (2) 2x5 c&c cages currently with all fleece.

trista81

Cavy Slave
I'm not 100 positive on this but i remember reading something that it is unsafe the same as a cat box. It's probley going to be hard for u to do all that stuff when u get farther along in your pregnancy, your belly may get in the way, and eventually it will be hard for you to bend down if they where on the floor. You might need to get someone to help u out. If it where me i might make one huge single level cage and just section it if you house them seperatley, it might be easier for you. i have my cage ontop of one of those folding tables, i put a blanket on top of the table that way it makes it look nicer, that way i have the underneath for storage for all the piggies stuff.
heres a pic....good luck hope i helped in some small way! Pregnancy and Piggies?....cage not finished when i took this pic, just to give you an idea of the table.

petgal49

Cavy Slave
I didn't know that guinea pig feces was dangerous like cat feces is?

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I didn't know that guinea pig feces was dangerous like cat feces is?

Every poo is dangerous. But that didn't stop me from throwing horse poop at my brother when I was little xD

xXMaggieXx

Cavy Slave
Congratulations! I would wear gloves while cleaning the pigs just to be safe

Nix16

Cavy Slave
apparently they can get something called LCMV if they come in contact with wild rodents, which you can catch and pass on to unborn baby. Advice I read was wash hands thoroughly after contact with guineapigs or cage cleaning, and don't put the guineapigs near your face or kiss them. If your wearing gloves and vacuuming rather than sweeping I'm sure you'll be fine. got this info from quickly googling it, don't know how accurate it is so Id research it a bit more if I were you. Congrats on the pregnancy

asnnbrg

Cavy Slave
Here's some information about LCMV and pregnancy from the CDC: (broken link removed)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I don't think LCMV is a concern with pet guinea pigs. It's the wild mice you have to watch out for. That CDC link that @asnnbrg gave you is a good one.

KristenMatejka

Cavy Slave
Looks like I'll be getting gloves and vaccumning more and washing hands more thoroughly!

and thank you everyone! It's going to be stressful for awhile but I think it'll be okay. and I love my girls too much to just get rid of them :))

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
apparently they can get something called LCMV if they come in contact with wild rodents, which you can catch and pass on to unborn baby. Advice I read was wash hands thoroughly after contact with guineapigs or cage cleaning, and don't put the guineapigs near your face or kiss them. If your wearing gloves and vacuuming rather than sweeping I'm sure you'll be fine. got this info from quickly googling it, don't know how accurate it is so Id research it a bit more if I were you. Congrats on the pregnancy

I've always kissed my pigs on the nose, cheek, or head. I've also always have them close to my face and never had any health issues.

Nix16

Cavy Slave
@MrWhistles, I totally agree I think problems are unlikely, just passing on info I read. I guess when it comes to pregnancy it's better to be safe than sorry.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.