Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury Losing skin on her front paw?

• Thread starter guineapig_girl1
  • Start date

guineapig_girl1

Cavy Slave
Hello all. Last night I was cuddling one of my two guinea pigs, Salt. She was sitting on my arm with her front paw kind of draped over the side. I felt something wet on my arm and saw she was bleeding. Upon closer inspection, I saw her paw was missing some skin on the bottom. Today it looked brown and some what leathery. Is there any thing I can do for her? The nearest small animal vet is 2+ hours away, and the vet here is a grumpy, old "cow doctor" as he calls himself. I live in cattle country and don't have a license so I couldn't bring her to the good vet if I wanted to. Are there any home remedies? Do you even know what she has?

pinky

Cavy Slave
Can you upload a photo? What kind of bedding do you use? Is there anything sharp in her cage that she might have caught it on? I hate to recommend anything without seeing if it's bad enough to have a vet check it. One of my females had a cut on her foot pad and the vet had me soak it in a diluted (with water so it was light blue) solution of chlorhexidine and prescribed silver sulfadiazine, which kills bacteria, to apply to the cut.

kirsty91

Cavy Slave
Like above it could be a cut from something sharp on the cage. What kind of bedding is she on? It might have been rubbed the wrong way before you took her out. I agree to soak it in the solution and apply medicine to the cut. Also you could look into types of aloe vera "lotions" for her feet.

guineapig_girl1

Cavy Slave
Right now she is on cedar shavings and newspaper. I have looked through the cage for sharp things, even remotely sharp things, and there is nothing. I have some fleece. Should I put her on that? I have tried to take pictures, but she wiggles too much and it isn't visible. Is there anything I could do? Is diluted peroxide okay?

guineapig_girl1

Cavy Slave
Would aloe vera gel work? We have some with the following ingredients: water, aloe vera gel, propylene glycol, tocopheryl acetate (vitamin E), carbomer, polysorbate 20, triethanolamine, DMDM hydanoin, diazolidinyl urea, tetrasodium EDTA, fragrance, FD&C blue #1, FD&C yellow #5. We use it for sunburns and stuff like that. Also, what about Vitamin E oil? I believe it is just oil and nothing else.

Last edited:

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
Hello, I am so sorry about her footpad ! Cedar shavings are toxic to guinea pigs, so I would definitely switch out that type of bedding right away ! I would definitely put in fleece with an absorbent layer underneath. ( you could ask your Mom if she has any old or unused clean towels to use for the absorbent bedding) underneath one layer of the fleece you have now. Later on when you can afford it, you could buy u-haul furniture pads to go underneath the fleece.

Bedding

ellisa

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I agree with kathlaaron!

I also would be hesitant to put aloe or peroxide on it. Maybe post this on Guinea Lynx and ask what you could put on her foot. I would also probably take her to a vet, because if she has an open wound and steps on poops or peeps it could cause an infection. Try to keep her cage very clean in the meantime! Good luck!

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
Here is the link for purchasing the u-haul furniture pads if you are interested.

U-Haul: Moving supplies: Furniture Pad

And if you are not interested in using a fleece/u-haul or fleece/towels bedding combo, many also use aspen kiln dried pine shavings or wood pellets ( just make SURE that there are no accelerants in the wood pellets) as well.

Many of us really like using u-haul furniture pads, they are also decently priced. For one 68"x85" blanket is 7.95 and can be folded in half for the two layers, and fits most cages up to a 2x5.

Hope this helps some ! Smile. I sure wish we could see a photo of her foot...I know when they are young they can be so darn wiggly, but maybe you could put her on a blanket on your couch and take a pic ?

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
Billie, foggycreekcavy, or pinky would definitely know what you should put on her foot, but they also need to see a close up photo to be able to make a decent safe suggestion. For she could have "bumblefoot" too.
https://www.guinealynx.info/pododermatitis.html

guineapig_girl1

Cavy Slave
I had wondered about bumblefoot, but that is definitely not it. It looks normal but there is a brown leathery patch where the skin fell or got torn off. Are the cedar shavings really toxic? I had never heard that before! Also, as an absorbent layer, would newspaper work?

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
Here is a link with some information about the different bedding choices. For an easy switch I would go out and buy a bag of kiln dried pine shavings or aspen shavings tomorrow. You can get them at any pet store. You will clean and care for the cage in the same way but those wood types are safe to use with small animals and will not hurt the guinea pigs.

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
I had wondered about bumblefoot, but that is definitely not it. It looks normal but there is a brown leathery patch where the skin fell or got torn off. Are the cedar shavings really toxic? I had never heard that before! Also, as an absorbent layer, would newspaper work?

Yes, the cedar shavings are toxic because of the aromatic hydrocarbons (phenols), which is harmful to their sensitive respiratory systems and has been linked to causing health problems. All of this was explained in detail, in the links that both Inle_Rabbit and I gave you up above.

On the same link we provided you, also provides the different bedding options one can choose from. Underneath each bedding option, are a list the pro's and con's.

And yes, newspaper would work, but some have said it gets very yucky and wet very quickly, and needs daily changing, and that it sticks to the fleece.

Whereas, using towels ( I think people that use towels have to change them out every couple of days, not sure...) and u-haul pads ( which is what I use) can last up to a week without needing to be changed out.

pinky

Cavy Slave
By the way you describe it, she could have stepped on a dropping and or got some stuck in it. I think you'd be better off letting a vet look at it. The wound might have to be cleaned out before it can heal properly.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Your problem is almost certainly the cedar shavings -- they are not recommended for small animals. And newspaper is very poor bedding -- their feet stay on a wet surface, and the newspaper smells terrible.

Other quick alternatives you can switch to include kiln-dried pine, aspen, carefresh, or wood pellets. Please get one or the other of those and get her off the cedar and newspaper ASAP. Many people here use fleece and an absorbent layer, but it requires more money upfront than the others, and may take more time to set up. However, since the skin on the foot is compromised, you should put the fleece that you have in her cage to keep her from further injuring the foot.

Please don't use aloe gel, peroxide, or anything like that on your pig's foot. Pinky's recommendation of soaking in dilute chlorhexadine is good, as is the silver sulfadiazene -- the vet will have to prescribe that. Perhaps if you asked your "cow vet" about it, he'd be willing to prescribe it for you. Or possibly, if you googled some exotic vets around your part of the country, he'd be willing to consult with them by phone on the treatment.

Since the skin is compromised, you do need some sort of protective treatment for it -- it can easily get infected.

Do be aware, though, that chlorhexadine is very drying. You may want to try dilute Betadine instead. After you've soaked the foot, you can apply cold pressed extra virgin coconut oil.

Do watch the foot carefully, and if it seems to be getting any worse then you need to get her to a vet who knows how to treat her.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
One problem with a wound on the foot is that it can become infected. You'll need to make sure it stays clean while healing, cleaning out the cage daily. If you notice any swelling or discharge or odor, she'll need to see a vet right away for antibiotics. Your "cow vet" can always prescribe those, if you take him the list of safe antibiotics found on www.guinealynx.info .

guineapig_girl1

Cavy Slave
I put her on the fleece. She seems to be fine. I looked at her foot, and it is actually looking better. To be safe, though, I intend to put some antibacterial something on it. I saw someone had said something about Betadine? How much would I have to dilute it?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The very scientific description I find on Guinea Lynx says to dilute the betadine with warm water to the color of weak tea!

You can't put an antibiotic cream on it, because the pig will lick its paw and ingest the stuff.

It may clear up with just soaking in the betadine. Just be sure to dry the paw well after the soak, and to keep the fleece very clean (I'd change or wash it daily, just to be safe).

guineapig_girl1

Cavy Slave
LOL, weak tea? That's funny! Thanks very much!

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
By the way you describe it, she could have stepped on a dropping and or got some stuck in it.

It's funny that you mention that, as a possibility, for (being the worry wart that I can sometimes be), that is nearly the same thing that happened to me !

Several months ago, when I took Cuddles out for lap time, I noticed her foot felt funny. So I took a look at it and thought, "something is surely wrong here", and you what immediately, came to "my", mind ?? Bumblefoot ! LOL.

Cuddles simply had, a small strand of hay, stuck to her foot, ( probably stuck by pee) and I all needed to do, was gently wipe it off ! ("oh brother.....good grief, Charlie Brown !!")

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
The very scientific description I find on Guinea Lynx says to dilute the betadine with warm water to the color of weak tea

I agree, very very funny Billie !!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.