Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Breeding Petition to ban household breeding in the UK

• Thread starter Princess_Piggie
  • Start date

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Okay guys - after creating a petition on the government petition platform some 3-4 weeks ago, it was finally published and approved for signing. Bear in mind this petition has the original wording, because they don't provide an 'edit' option, and after communicating with the house of commons, they won't accept a petition from another platform anyway.

However, after chatting things over with @MochaAndMoo, I realised that anyone who signs it who isn't from this site, probably won't notice that some wording could do with a bit of tweaking etc, and people who are from this site already know why it should be banned. Another thing we touched on was that here in the UK, our government loves to create unenforceable laws - things that while hard to catch in the act, will be reduced significantly by the amount of people who don't want to break the law. This is one of those. How the heck goes the government know if you're household breeding? They don't, but the ideal of it being illegal is enough to put people off.

So, without further ado, here is the petition, get signing! (broken link removed) :)

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
Said I couldn't sign it because Im not from the UK (I wish I was!)

SomethingFunny

Cavy Slave
Good luck! Alas I'm from the states so I can't sign it myself, but I hope it works!

TerrificTeddies

Cavy Slave
In my opinion, I would want to stop pet stores before I tried to stop household breeding. I know for a fact that when people end up with lethals, it is almost always because they bought a pregnant pig from the pet store.

I also asked several breeders in my area that I know care greatly about their pigs, how many sows they have lost. I asked 5 caviaries and here's the info I got. In 2 years they bred 263 sows total and only 20 died. If you do the math that is not 1 out of 5. If you added in pups deaths you would probably end up with 1 in 5 deaths but not with just sows.

I understand people being anti-breeding but trying to make it illegal is taking it to a new level.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.