Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Grieving guinea pig.... will he be okay alone?

Bigal

Cavy Gazer
I have had two guinea pigs (Zeke and Tai, adopted) for the past two years, and sunday unfortunately I had to put Zeke down because of a bladder stone. They were both very well bonded males. Me and Tai are both still trying to work through the grieving. One thing that keeps bothering me, however, is that I’m not sure I can get another guinea pig for Tai. With where my life is going Zeke and Tai were set to be my last guinea pigs for awhile until I can finish graduate school and settle down somewhere. I also couldn’t bare giving him up (and I don’t know anyone who could take him anyway) or sending him back to a shelter.
so, has anyone decided not to get their surviving guinea pigs a new mate? Did they do okay? Would I be an absolute monster for not getting him another cage mate?

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave
How old is Tai?

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave
It'd be easy to say that if he was an old pig you could probably just let him live out the remainder of his life as a single pig and just do your best to give him all the attention you can. As long as he is not depressed to the point that it's affecting his health (ie not eating, weight loss, etc) then this is still an option.

However, in my experience with my Tribble pig, during the times that he was in-between cagemates, it ended up being an awful lot of work to keep him stimulated and keep him happy. When they're used to having one of their own kind with them all the time, it's pretty hard to provide socialization on that level, especially if you're a busy person (which we all are). That's actually one of the big reasons I went and got Flower even though Tribble was already an old man. I was going back to school and I knew Tribble would suffer left alone all day, despite my best efforts and despite him being very bonded with me. And I knew I wouldn't always have the time or energy at the end of every day to spend a lot of quality time with him.

I think it's not only better for the pig to have a cagemate; it's easier on the human, too. You won't have to carry that burden of being their only source of social interaction. Having two pigs was definitely easier than having one.

But of course, if you're trying to make your graceful exit from piggie-keeping, it does make matters more complicated... But if you really don't think you're up for getting more pigs, you gotta do what you gotta do. It certainly does not make you a monster. ☺️

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
I've been struggling with the same dilemma. Sparky's cagemate died about 3 months ago and I had originally planned to get him a little brother. Sparky is so laid-back that I figured he could deal with a young one and perhaps teach him how to be a proper cavy. Plus, it would probably put some spark back in the old boy (he's only 4 y.o.) And then Sparky became very ill.

We almost lost him to CHF (congestive heart failure) and in planning for the future, our Vet, Dr. Albin, said that Sparky would do best with a stress-free life. So, we decided not to get a cagemate. Even though we are both home a great deal, I still think that he is lonely despite tons of interaction with us. He seems to be doing so well that I'm really having second thoughts. A friend who is a championship breeder retires her sows after a couple of litters and has offered one or two of her ladies who are about two years old. Since Sparky is neutered, that certainly would be a viable solution except that we would like to start over with a couple of baby boars after he is gone.

It tugs at my heart because I know that nothing beats having one of his own kind as a roommate. I think that @LittleSqueakers has some thought-provoking comments. All the best in whatever decision you make.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.