Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions PLEASE HELP!!Uncertain guinea pig mental issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

bguardguy

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
lol. It is flying guinea pigs though. I think I can handle the poop! Besides you could just make huge closed cages for them. Height would not longer be an issue!! Instead of lap time they could have airtime! LOL! bahahahah

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
I'm just omg I can't even believe this post.

I really hope it's a troll, because that's horrendous.

Rhinos_mom

Cavy Slave
Even if it's not a troll, do you think that user is going to respond? after all of the aggression shown?

Hopefully, this person is getting the pig to the vet as stated and will never make that stupid mistake again. I hold my pigs on my bed all the time (please note my "bed" is 2 twin mattresses on top of each other) But i would never let my pigs get close to the edge like that, or risk injury by being so complacent about safety.

Cavy Treenie

Cavy Slave
I think even the newest piggie owner wouldn't even think of letting their pig near the edges of any furniture high off the ground.This to me sounds like a person who's stairs go all the way to the top.

bguardguy

Cavy Slave
I think even the newest piggie owner wouldn't even think of letting their pig near the edges of any furniture high off the ground.This to me sounds like a person who's stairs go all the way to the top.
I have never heard this before lol!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@Cavy Treenie, I think you mean don't go all the way to the top.

bguardguy

Cavy Slave
That makes even more sense and is much more funny! lol

Cavy Treenie

Cavy Slave
@bpatters Thanks yeah, thats what I meant. Her stairs DON'T go all the way to the top.

asnnbrg

Cavy Slave
I don't consider it aggressive to call someone out for outright neglect and potential animal abuse. I wouldn't call her names or be unkind to her, but I will tell her she's out of line. There's a time to be nice and sugarcoat, and there's a time to lay it out there. I think this is one of the latter times. Her pet is at grave risk here, and she continued putting it at risk with her choices. He needs a vet. Hopefully she got him the care he needed. She doesn't seem to have updated either of these threads, so it's hard to say. I worry very much about that lump.

Megaredize

Cavy Slave
I find this thread kind of disgusting and it no the OP that offends me most. I usually ignore threads that piss me off, but SHAME on all of you for BULLYING the OP. For all you know she could be 10 years old. It is easy to lie when you sign up on these types of forums. She made a HUGE mistake, yes BUT she is bringing the pig to the vet, which is good. Im sure the OP wont be coming back I know I wouldn't. Quite frankly I dont know if i want to hang around here much anymore either. It is bullying which nowadays everyone knows is wrong and what serious consequences come from it. I understand people get heated when they hear an animal got hurt, but he is alive and going to a vet. Next time take a breath and think before you post. You can hate on me for this all you want. I can handle it

Xinaa

Cavy Slave
Once, while I had both of my pigs on my bed for lap time, one decided that he wanted to see the other side of the room and almost ran off my bed, but I caught him in mid air. Thank God. I now keep my legs as a border so they wont run off. Pillows help too, such as with a baby sleeping on a bed, pillow fence.

asnnbrg

Cavy Slave
I find this thread kind of disgusting and it no the OP that offends me most. I usually ignore threads that piss me off, but SHAME on all of you for BULLYING the OP. For all you know she could be 10 years old. It is easy to lie when you sign up on these types of forums. She made a HUGE mistake, yes BUT she is bringing the pig to the vet, which is good. Im sure the OP wont be coming back I know I wouldn't. Quite frankly I dont know if i want to hang around here much anymore either. It is bullying which nowadays everyone knows is wrong and what serious consequences come from it. I understand people get heated when they hear an animal got hurt, but he is alive and going to a vet. Next time take a breath and think before you post. You can hate on me for this all you want. I can handle it

It's not ok to be making fun of her, but it's also not ok to make sweeping generalizations and accuse every single person here of being a bully, and quite honestly, I find your accusations quite offensive.I am not going to sugarcoat her actions and be all nicey-nicey about the fact that she repeatedly placed her pet in grave danger. Her pet has a large, tender lump, his leg is at an odd angle, and he's limping. He's alive, yeah, but for how much longer? I'm not a bully for not blowing sunshine up her (fill in the blank) over this situation. I'm a mom and a pet lover who thinks she screwed up big time.

_Cass_

Cavy Slave
@Megaredize I don't think anyone here was intentionally trying to "bully" the OP. Everyone on this site has some kind of love for Guinea Pigs and animals, and some of us can get heated when we hear about a member being not-so-smart about their ownership, especially when it was easily preventable. Now, I do hope that the OP does come back on this site and let's us know how he/she's pig is doing, and realizes the mistake they made and takes all the steps necessary to make sure it won't happen again. This site is great for information and learning, and mistakes happen. This shouldn't mean the OP should leave. Like I said, I don't think anyone here is trying to be mean, there was just some pretty heated constructive criticism.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
I think you're a bit too eager to apply the term "bullying" and run with it. It's neither aggressive nor shameful to suggest that this scenario is utterly irresponsible on the part of the owner who allowed it to happen and to suggest that the pig has "mental issues" for behaving exactly the way a prey animal would behave is, at least to me, shameful. I have an 8 year old niece who knows better than to allow an animal to hurt itself in such a way, so if this person is a child, no, I'm sorry but I don't see that as being a reasonable excuse, and I don't think that's what's going on here, anyway. This person has been a member here for several months; I'm sorry, but "I didn't know" just doesn't suffice when we are talking about an animal flinging itself off a bed several times, having visible injuries and behaving in a way that suggests it might be in shock or otherwise, at the very least, severely traumatized. Yes, I also applaud him/her for scheduling a vet appointment. If I had an animal I'd repeatedly allowed to injure itself, like I said, to the point of visible injuries, you better believe I'm going to get that thing into a vet straight away, too.

Maybe the bed is 6" off the floor - maybe, like my bed, it's 3 feet off the floor and the animal was dropping onto hardwood floors, or maybe it was carpet, no way to know. Either way, allowing it to happen once is a regrettable mistake. Continually setting the poor creature up to fall again and again -- no matter the distance, no matter the surface it fell onto -- is hardly acceptable and saying so is not bullying, no matter how you might try to bend it into something that resembles aggression or an intentional attack.

Aleks

Cavy Slave
Okay seriously, she wanted to know if maybe something was wrong with her pig mentally. I understand that yeah, it's ignorant for her to think that because of how he's been acting after having two serious falls, but for you guys to say that SHE has mental health problems just because her post was a bit ignorant?
I think that's just plain wrong.

I myself have a couple of mental health problems such as depression, very bad anxiety and a few other things, and I think it's messed up that you guys are saying that she has mental health problems AND THEN LAUGHING ABOUT IT and saying things like "good one" and "best post here".
Seriously, you don't know that she has any problems like that, and if she does do you really think making fun of her because of it is going to make those problems any better? Because in my experience, being teased about having MH issues has always made things much worse.

Last edited:

FluffyGuinea

Cavy Slave
No one in this thread has asked the first question that popped into my mind - has she had the pig on the bed with no problems in the past? I think that is an important thing to know before drawing any conclusions. Although I wouldn't go so far as to accuse anyone of bullying as others have, I do think there is a tendency to rush to judgement with incomplete information in this forum.

_Cass_

Cavy Slave
@GuineaPigs98 , It would be great if you could let us know if your pig is okay, or give us an update.

momomiyamommy

Cavy Slave
In the pig's best interest, I think it's best to hold off from the name calling like "mentally ill", chances are she will not come back to the forum if she feels like she was being teased/belittled. I was definitely angry when I saw this post but calling her "mentally ill" will make things worse because we cannot keep up on the pig's condition if she chooses not to come back to the forum. I don't think she was "bullied" by anyone on this forum but she was definitely not treated with respect.

@(broken link removed) , please keep us informed about your piggies condition and don't let things that were said in the heat of the moment get to you. I don't think your actions were wise but I certainly don't know you well enough to judge weather or not you are mentally ill. I hope your piggie is ok, and hope that you do some research on how to handle pigs properly. They are prey animals and will run when put in an open place (like a bed) with no hidey houses and a person makes sudden movements.

I think you should consider rehoming him because you are apparently not very knowledgeable about prey animal behavior enough to let him injure himself. I genuinely think that this pig has hurt himself very badly and I hope he is doing well. Please keep us informed about his condition.

Kermit_Koeller

Cavy Slave
thank you @Aleks. Call her out, tell her she was wrong. Fine. But to BULLY her by saying she has mental health problems and LAUGH about it puts YOU out of line as well. And Aleks is right. Maybe she ACTUALLY has mental health problems that you just LAUGHED at her for. That goes even beyond bullying. Just plain mean. And @Megaredize is right too. Getting "heated" is not a good excuse for accusing someone of having mental health problems. This feels like 6th grade recess for cripes sake.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
I think it's pretty obvious that the comments about the OP's mental health were meant in jest and that no one was seriously suggesting that the OP had mental health issues of her own.

With that said, what can be said about someone who witnesses their pig fall from their bed and rather than putting the pig somewhere safe so it doesn't happen again, repeatedly puts the pig back in the position to injure itself two more times by falling off the bed then is confused about why the pig won't eat? Lack of common sense? Perhaps. Irresponsible? Maybe. I do wonder if maybe this has happened before.

I'm glad she is taking the pig to the vet and I'm curious about what the vet said.

Status
Not open for further replies.