Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Stands Do you prefer tables or stands made out of grids?

SquigglyPigs

Cavy Slave
I currently have a 2x4 cage with a 1x4 loft. I have it on a table that fits perfectly, but I would like to expand to a 2x5. I have a small apartment so I definitely need storage under the cage. I will either need to find or build a different table or do a stand made out of grids. I'm tempted to do the grids and then buy the coroplast drawers from guineapigcages.com because I'm pretty short and it can be difficult for me to clean the loft area when the cage is on the table. lol it would be nice if the cage was just a bit lower to the ground for me.

What do you guys prefer to have your cages on?

3littlepigz

Cavy Slave
Mine is on a grid base. I, too, am short (5'2") and think it would be difficult for me to clean the cage (and loft) comfortably and well if it were on a table. Having it on a grid base works really well for me. I've got a slightly L-shaped cage with 2x5 as the main area and the a 1x2 kitchen set off on the side (making an "L" shape).

miniver

Cavy Slave
Mine is on a grid base. I, too, am short (5'2") and think it would be difficult for me to clean the cage (and loft) comfortably and well if it were on a table.

I have grids and also like them for the height reason.
Another point in favour of girds is that they can be moved and reconfigured anytime you need to change the cage or storage. I started with a table but found I was spending too much time trying to work around it's limits.

SquigglyPigs

Cavy Slave
Yeah I'm 5'1" and getting a little sick of my boyfriend laughing at me when I use a children's step stool to clean the cage lol
I have liked the table because I got a fitted tablecloth that hides all of the supplies but it's such a pain! I'm pretty limited on adding on which isn't fun. I would also love to build a door on my cage with a ramp down to the floor for floor time. That really wouldn't be possible on my tall table.
Thanks for the feedback!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I hate the grid stand, but I might like it better if it were on rollers. I had to put some bottom grids in to keep it stable, and the hay gets underneath the grids and is very hard to remove.

You can really make a table any height you want. Many have adjustable legs, or if the legs are wooden, you can just saw them off if they're too tall.

SquigglyPigs

Cavy Slave
You can really make a table any height you want. Many have adjustable legs, or if the legs are wooden, you can just saw them off if they're too tall.

That's true. My table now is a foldable banquet style table with metal legs and I am not a fan. I have never made a table before but it seems pretty straight forward and I have a family member in contruction that could help make it look nice. And that way I can customize it completely. Thanks!

pinky

Cavy Slave
I have a lot of grids I store in plastic milk crates. One of my cages sits on them, ,making the perfect height for me to clean the cage, etc. Milk crates cost about $1 at Goodwill so they really make a cheap stand.

SquigglyPigs

Cavy Slave
@spy9doc do you happen to have any pictures of your cage and stand? I'm interested to see it!

Easefirst

Cavy Slave
Found this post with your cage photos. :) So you have bottom, but not on the whole bottom, you even skipped two grids totally. Hmm, then I might skip one, since my cage is 2 by 4, but I will make loft with overhang, which will rest on the grids, so that should give more storage.

CavieGuy

Cavy Slave
I like having a table instead of a grid stand.

I bought my table from Ikea and just wrapped a table cloth so you can see underneath the cage. I use it for storage (fleece, hay, pellets, all guinea pig related items underneath.

piggielover200

Cavy Slave
I'm 5'3 and when I had a loft I had to stand on a chair to clean it. I have it on a table I got from Costco. I have since removed the loft and it is much easier to clean, I would defiantly put it on a grid stand if you plan on keeping a loft

Easefirst

Cavy Slave
Yes, that's true, it is nice to be able to customize. So I remade our cage today with 2 by 2 loft (not installed yet as I have to get more coroplast), and off the ground. I probably used a hundred of zip ties to make sure they stay together. I think piggies love it. When they run around it sways a bit, but they don't seem to mind it. I can see them better, and they seem not to run away as much, when we walk by. We do not look so giant for them. I did made bottom on all floor grid squares, because it felt sturdier for me and I had enough grids to do that. Now I just need to get more fabric bins for hay and other stuff.

Easefirst

Cavy Slave
I forgot to ask, did you cut the entrance grid (at the top of the ramp) out yourself? If yes, how did you make it smooth, so they wouldn't hurt themselves?

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I love the grid stand. Mine is two grids high, you can build it to your needs.

Do you prefer tables or stands made out of grids?

Easefirst

Cavy Slave
That is cool. Thank you.
I wouldn't want my grids shorter since one of my piggies is very large, so I am not sure, if it is not a cuy one (it is about 5 months, so it can still grow more), rather keep them high. But it would be fun though to cut out the entrance. I have this small saw for metal, which i can use, but I have to figure out how to file off the harshness of the cuts. Dremmel would be great, but not sure I want to buy it. I have to see, if I can borrow it from some friend. If I use handheld file it would take forever, right?
Yes, I read about the glue option, but I rather not to do that as I change my mind quite a bit and might decide to redo the cage in different way. Piggies don't seem to mind, and cage is safe. I put so many zip ties. Not to mention, I already made it, so I don't want to take it apart to put the glue in.
Are dremmels loud? Aren't your piggies afraid of the sound, when you file their nails?

fluffedpig

Cavy Slave
I made a grid-base/table for my 2x4 cage, and as long as you have the right materials, and enough of them, you can very easily have a good and sturdy base. Tables are higher off the ground, however, and have even more added storage space then the grid-base, but it looks less uniform. I like my grid-base and the extra storage is defiantly a bonus!

RubyRain

Cavy Slave
I prefer tables. IKEA has a huge variety of options. I prefer their lower desk tables or coffee tables or even their entertainment stands. You can still use baskets or drawers underneath for storage and they look nice.

Agrimony

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Right now my dad is making me a custom table, but my pigs are now and have been on the floor for the last almost 3 years. There are pros and cons to that but it has worked well for me thus far. The biggest con is nowhere to store things under the cage

megakamattsmom

Cavy Slave
Trying to make a 2.35 stand to go with cage! Help!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.