Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding Using Disposable Bedding in a Large cage

prettynyguen

Cavy Slave
what an interesting thread. i tried fleece, but i didn't like it at all. also, i live in an apartment building, where it costs $4.50 to do a regular-sized load (dryers are horrible), or i would have to spend an hour on the bus each way to take them to the laundry mat.

i use the kiln-dried pine shavings. i scoop under their little houses every day or do, and put in a couple scoops of fresh bedding. i do the big cage clean once a week, and clean out the bottom with warm soapy water, rinse, then vinegar. they are always so happy, pop-corning, and running around in their fresh cage.

i might consider fleece again if i ever had my own place, with a washer and dryer, and clothes line.

maddy harper

Cavy Slave
i use wood shavings for the bottom of my cage and have never had a problem with it.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I've stopped using it as we don't need the big cage (have split up everyone so all but one of the babies are out at foster homes...approx. 20 guineas out at foster!).

I personally didn't like it, but I'm sure it's cause it was in a big cage with lots of guineas. When the time came to empty it...it was a lot of bedding to put down and we're running out of space to even put just the loose bedding from everyone's litter trays!

I wouldn't not go try loose bedding again, But for now, with so many guineas in the rescue I'm sticking with fleece and a litter tray .:)

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
@HugglesBubble The shavings do stick horribly to the fleece but not to cotton! I bought cotton at the fabric store and cut it into bigtowel sized rectangles, I then fold them up and put them under the hideys. I change them out everyday and just give them a shake outside and all the shavings or hay come off easily. I have a hamper specifically for the pigs laundry so I then toss them in there and at the end of the week I do a load of their messy towels!

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
That's quite funny about shavings sticking to fleece. Mine fine shavings don't stick too much. I can shake the fleece or brush it with a hand broom and it comes off.

oldnewie

Cavy Slave
Thanks for starting up this interesting thread, @MrWhistles.
I tend to get a bit fixated on things, at the moment it's bedding for piggies & other little animals, & I enjoy reading what other people use, how they rate it, clean up, etc.
Great stuff!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.