Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Vet Blog commenter claims sick piggy and no vets nearby - advice for her?

cavysavvyblog

Cavy Slave
One of the commenters on my blog claimed that her guinea pig isn't eating much, and that there is no vet nearby. I clicked on her profile, and she's in Puerto Rico. My first thought was that perhaps she's wrong and I could recommend a good vet in Puerto Rico, but I had trouble finding information on any. The (broken link removed) doesn't have a listing for Puerto Rico, for instance. Does anyone know of any to recommend? If not, what advice would you give to someone who has a sick guinea pig and no good exotic vets nearby?

(I should also mention that this woman made the comment about her guinea pig being sick about two months ago, so I'm worried it may be too late to help her now. I sometimes get busy and don't always check the comments section on the blog. Still, I figure better late than never, and I'd like some input on what to say if a similar situation arises.)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It depends entirely on what kind of symptoms the pig has. Probably the best thing you can do if you ever see a post like that is encourage the person to post her or on Guinea Lynx. In her circumstances, some conditions can be managed without a vet, some by giving the vet some information, and some just can't be done without an exotic vet.

acydrose

Cavy Slave
I saw this post randomly, but there IS a vet in PR that specializes in exotic animals! I have his info.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.